[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Central Arkansas thoughts  (Read 20305 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Central Arkansas thoughts
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
Glad to see that not knowing the first thing about advanced stats doesn’t stop a certain someone from leading the Scoop league in postings regarding them. Guy needs a minimum of 28 days in Scoop rehab.

It is interesting that three sites have different numbers for the same stat, supposedly two of them receive from same source but have different results....I wish they would get their act together.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2019, 11:52:22 PM »
The formula for TO% is: TO/(FGA-OR+TO+0.475xFTA)

Guards are always going to have higher tpg, to per 40, and to per 100 possessions because of the nature of the position. TO% is the best way to determine if an individual player is turning the ball over too much.

If anyone is curious here are those numbers for our team from most to least TO prone (numbers per KenPom).

That is not the formula for individual turnover rates per KenPom / Dean Oliver. It's based on individual possessions used, a far more complex calculation.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »
It is interesting that three sites have different numbers for the same stat, supposedly two of them receive from same source but have different results....I wish they would get their act together.

They are not the same stat. They may be called the same or similar, but by design, the stat is very different. You must understand what you're looking at.

Some of the 'big name' sites use an individual TO% that is calculated using barbaric, disgusting means.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2019, 12:21:04 AM »
Let me ask you, how long has seeding used NET? Would Crean and Buzz have been as concerned with it as Wojo during their time here, or is it more recently affecting seeding?

As Brew said, last year was the first year that NET was used. RPI was the old standard and it didn't use efficiency stats or margins of victory, all the really mattered was who you played and whether or not you won. If we were still using RPI, yesterday's game would have hurt our resume because of how abysmal of record Central Arkansas has it wouldn't have mattered if we beat them by 1 or beat them by 54. NET is an improvement because a team that wins by 54 should get more credit than a team that wins by 1. But the unfortunate side effect is that some coaches feel they have to run up the score and can't play walk ons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2019, 12:27:31 AM »
Glad to see that not knowing the first thing about advanced stats doesn’t stop a certain someone from leading the Scoop league in postings regarding them. Guy needs a minimum of 28 days in Scoop rehab.

He’ll just be like herpes and flare up again.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
They are not the same stat. They may be called the same or similar, but by design, the stat is very different. You must understand what you're looking at.

Some of the 'big name' sites use an individual TO% that is calculated using barbaric, disgusting means.

::)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »

Made me laugh JB.  Yes, I wish they would label it more properly so that we aren't polluted by the barbaric, disgusting means being used.   ;)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »
red skies in morning sailor take warning