'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Conference play concern  (Read 6327 times)

tower912

• All American
Conference play concern
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
I have been optimistic all year.  Watching today's conference games as been educational.   I think MU will be successful.  However, that is going to be continued gent upon defensive rebounding.   Nova, Hall, DePaul, and Xavier all crashed the boards.   MU must limit second chance opportunities.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Conference play concern
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
Very true. However, and I honestly don't know if this is true, I feel like we've looked much more efficient on O then any of the four teams today. Lots of missed bunnies in both games
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:10 PM »
Creighton and Butler are really the only two poor offensive rebounding teams in the conference

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »
Very true. However, and I honestly don't know if this is true, I feel like we've looked much more efficient on O then any of the four teams today. Lots of missed bunnies in both games

Missed bunnies are our specialty.

We definitely shoot better than these teams tho. Especially X
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
I have been optimistic all year.  Watching today's conference games as been educational.   I think MU will be successful.  However, that is going to be continued gent upon defensive rebounding.   Nova, Hall, DePaul, and Xavier all crashed the boards.   MU must limit second chance opportunities.

Legit concern. Defensive rebounding and taking care of the basketball are my two biggest concerns going into the conference season. I'm hopeful that we will able to do both well enough to succeed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
I’m not that optimistic overall. I’d say .500 conference record which is just kinda meh considering where we thought we would be a year ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
Hall has Powell, took over the game.  DePaul has more talent but plays totally out of control.  X has no shooters, Villy is very good but no inside game, force them into the lane and let Theo do his thing, hopefully not the foul thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »
Creighton and Butler are really the only two poor offensive rebounding teams in the conference

Creighton and Butler are bad.

Seton Hall and Villanova are okay.

Xavier and DePaul are above average.

Providence, St. John's, and especially Georgetown are very good.

We rank as an okay defensive rebounding team. I'm worried but not overly worried. The nice thing is that the three best OR% teams in conference look like the three teams likely to finish last. Even if they beat us on the boards we should be able to beat them in other ways.

Honestly, the thing I'm most worried about is how our defense will hold up. We've been very good this season but the Big East is elite offensively. 6/9 of our conference foes have top 60 offenses per KenPom. So far we are 2-2 against top 60 offenses.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Honestly, the thing I'm most worried about is how our defense will hold up. We've been very good this season but the Big East is elite offensively. 6/9 of our conference foes have top 60 offenses per KenPom. So far we are 2-2 against top 60 offenses.

Thanks a lot for giving me something else to worry about, TAMU!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 07:25:05 AM »
I liked Brendan's nose for the boards against a very poor (but relatively tall) Cent. Arkansas team. To me TOs are a much bigger concern than the glass. TO rate is ranked 212 - worse in the BE. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/turnover-pct
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

fjm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
After watching some of the games last night I went from thinking maybe 11-7/10-8 to thinking 9-9.

Probably an over reaction? It just feels like we are gonna be surprised at the level of play.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
I liked Brendan's nose for the boards against a very poor (but relatively tall) Cent. Arkansas team. To me TOs are a much bigger concern than the glass. TO rate is ranked 212 - worse in the BE. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/turnover-pct

Would recommend staying away from team rankings. Their “stats” and metrics are all sorts of eff’d up

And what you’re referring to is not turnover rate relative to possessions. They have turnover per possession on a separate screen. What you’re referring to is “turnovers per offensive play”, which essentially ignores o-rebs, I believe.

So when Ed gets blocked 14 times but gets the rebound each time, turnover per offensive play benefits. Not a stat I care for, but def not turnover rate as used by most
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 10:02:58 AM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
After watching some of the games last night I went from thinking maybe 11-7/10-8 to thinking 9-9.

Probably an over reaction? It just feels like we are gonna be surprised at the level of play.

I think our eFG% defense, 3P shooting, FTRate, experience, and Markus will be a recipe to win 7 or more home games and 3 or more on the road against the group of Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, DePaul, Xavier, and Creighton. That's 10 minimum with a shot at the championship if some things break our way.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »

Why would the games last night make you think Marquette is a .500 team?

Have you not watched a single college basketball game all season involving a Big East team?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »

I gotta agree with the above. What last night worried you?

Now I am not saying that we will be better than 9-9. Heck we may ultimately be 6-12.

But last nights games didn't worry me at all. DePaul meltdown down the stretch. X couldn't shoot a lick(and we defend the line well), Nova at home was not very efficient at all.

SHU really wasnt great either but gutting out a road win is by far the most impressive.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
But last nights games didn't worry me at all. DePaul meltdown down the stretch. X couldn't shoot a lick(and we defend the line well), Nova at home was not very efficient at all.

SHU really wasnt great either but gutting out a road win is by far the most impressive.

DePaul’s highest win prob % occurred in the first half

X shot from the field better than Nova

Last year BEast home teams only won 6 of every 10 games

PS - winning team in those games has a lower FT% than the loser. #FTsNoMatta
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:05:11 AM by Jay Bee »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
DePaul’s highest win prob % occurred in the first half

X shot from the field better than Nova

Last year BEast home teams only won 6 of every 10 games

PS - winning team in those games has a lower FT% than the loser. #FTsNoMatta

Xavier was 1/11 from 3. You know the line we defend from?? Couldn’t shoot a lick.

Not going to win many games on strictly Jones dunks and Marshall lay ups.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
Xavier was 1/11 from 3. You know the line we defend from?? Couldn’t shoot a lick.

Not going to win many games on strictly Jones dunks and Marshall lay ups.

Shooting included 2s and 3s. Their 3FGA/FGA was less than 19% in the game. They can’t shoot from outside, so appropriately limited which resulted in them shooting better than Nova.

They shot 55.3% from 2 and that was only their 6th best of the year

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
Shooting included 2s and 3s. Their 3FGA/FGA was less than 19% in the game. They can’t shoot from outside, so appropriately limited which resulted in them shooting better than Nova.

They shot 55.3% from 2 and that was only their 6th best of the year

And yet they couldn’t shoot a lick from the line we defend well from. Like I said.

And Nova themselves was not very efficienct. Also like I said.

You would have been better off quoting my post(if the urge was that strong) and saying “ditto”

Because everything I said was correct.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »

I have no concerns. This is a tough, balanced league. We will struggle when we don't shoot well from 3. But every team in the BE will struggle at times. We will lose at least 5 games and maybe a couple more because of the leagues balance, but we will be contenders for the title.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »
I think just watching the games on TV I felt the other teams last night looked faster and bigger.

Likely me just over thinking. But fair points all around.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »
There will be zero gimme games in this league
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »

Got that right.

Butler projected at 12-6
Nova, Seton Hall 11-7
Marquette 10-8
Creighton, Xavier, Georgetown 9-9
Depaul 7-11
St. John's, Providence 6-12

I don't believe anyone will have less than 7 wins and I'm not sure anyone gets to 12.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »

As a reminder, last season no one had fewer than 7 conference wins and only 2 teams had winning records. All but 1 played in the NCAA tourney or NIT... and that 1 went to the finals of the bogus tourney.

That said, lack of gimme games is nothing new for the conference

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
I think just watching the games on TV I felt the other teams last night looked faster and bigger.

Likely me just over thinking. But fair points all around.

I was thinking the same thing last night.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Every conference team is good. Will be tough but plenty of great challenges and exciting games.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Every conference team is good. Will be tough but plenty of great challenges and exciting games.

Well no... but...

feedback