collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fastest Way To Wreck a Company ...  (Read 10612 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Fastest Way To Wreck a Company ...
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »

It should have been indexed to cost of living from day one.

So should tax rates based on where  you live....but that's another story.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
Brother Fluffy, you obviously weren't alive in the 1960s and 1970s. We'd of killed for this kind of inflation back then.

Misery Index...what a joy that was to live through
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
Not what the article says.

I apologize.  Let me restate, rising at fastest rate in 10 years.  What I said, was also true, just not what the article said.  Wages are at their highest in real terms since 1964....and this is a little dated from June. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/17679/real-wages-in-the-united-states/

Merry Christmas to all

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
I apologize.  Let me restate, rising at fastest rate in 10 years.  What I said, was also true, just not what the article said.  Wages are at their highest in real terms since 1964....and this is a little dated from June. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/17679/real-wages-in-the-united-states/

Merry Christmas to all

Now do executive pay.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2019, 04:03:37 PM »
Now do executive pay.

The people that make the hardest decisions, the ones that have to assume the most risk and also get the most reward, the ones where decisions can lead to the company stagnated or even going out of business, or continuing to stay relevant....yes, those are up, too.  Everyone is up....I remember when that used to be a good thing...how about you...do you remember those days?  Been so long, maybe you don't.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
The people that make the hardest decisions, the ones that have to assume the most risk and also get the most reward, the ones where decisions can lead to the company stagnated or even going out of business, or continuing to stay relevant....yes, those are up, too.  Everyone is up....I remember when that used to be a good thing...how about you...do you remember those days?  Been so long, maybe you don't.

The most risk? Plenty of company pee-ons get axed every day, what are execs risking beyond their employment?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
The most risk? Plenty of company pee-ons get axed every day, what are execs risking beyond their employment?

Yes, employment being another just like every other person.  Inability to get another equal level job ever again.  When you lead many people, one of your peeps does something that comes back on you....that's usually not the case at lower levels.  In other words, the higher up you go, the more responsibility one has and the more at risk one is to the actions of 10's, 100's, 1000's of employees and their whims....some of which you can control with programs, education, training, etc...some of which are never good enough no matter what you do...risk.

Then there is things like compliance where upper management is often asked to make decisions with all kinds of financial, legal, and other risks....lots of lawyers, financial folks and others giving their input on what is and isn't worth the risk....relying on their expertise to be right and often having to decide amongst competing legal or financial opinions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2019, 04:55:20 PM »

Cool story. Was any of this not true in 1978?
Why won't you just give us the numbers?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2019, 12:47:14 AM »
CEO...there is typically one per company...talk about trying to over target this.  What’s next, top Hollywood actors make too much, top athletes?

Also your stats only fortune 500 companies, but there are many X CEOS in this country.  Why are all labor thrown into these analysis, but only cherry picking Fortune 500 CEOs?  Hmm.

Avg CEO pay including all CEOs in this country is about $160K a year.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Chief_Executive_Officer_(CEO)/Salary

There are nearly 200,000 CEOs in the USA and the stats you pull from make up the salaries of only .002 of the entire population of CEOs....think that might skew things just a touch?

The avg California CEO makes $230K...holy cows.  For a family of four in parts of this state, that isn’t much....it sure as hell isn’t rich.   https://www.businessinsider.com/states-with-the-most-ceos-2019-5

Florida avg CEO pay is $187K.  Etc etc.  lots of cherry picking going with these CEO pay stats listed before this post.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:00:48 AM by Cheeks »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »
As long as student athletes can’t earn off their likeness, let the CEO’s make all they can IMO
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »
As long as student athletes can’t earn off their likeness, let the CEO’s make all they can IMO

Student athlete isn’t an employee...courts have ruled.  CEO is an employee.

Big difference. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2019, 10:37:54 AM »

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/022615/can-family-survive-us-minimum-wage.asp

Min wages are not supposed to be wages to survive a family on.  Why is this insane argument being made?  My wife makes barely above min wage, because it is a supplemental income...if she had to go support the family she would quit the min wage job and find one that paid more (required more hours, more responsibility, etc)...that’s the tradeoff.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
Student athlete isn’t an employee...courts have ruled.  CEO is an employee.

Big difference.

That’s why I don’t question any court rulings, nor should you.  Once ruled, it is set in stone.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2019, 12:22:13 PM »
That’s why I don’t question any court rulings, nor should you.  Once ruled, it is set in stone.

Incorrect, but until someone comes along with a compelling case that changes the precedent, this is where we are now and ruled on in several federal circuits.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Min wages are not supposed to be wages to survive a family on.

#fakenews

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
#fakenews

You seem to confuse FDR’s “living wage” comments with a family wage...which is what I stated.  Read your history...living wage is not a family wage.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »

ANY COURT RULINGS?  Try arguing that with people who have been wrongly convicted and sentenced to the death penalty.  DNA evidence is changing many court rulings today. I’m sure you meant something else though, but I’d like to hear it
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »

ANY COURT RULINGS?  Try arguing that with people who have been wrongly convicted and sentenced to the death penalty.  DNA evidence is changing many court rulings today. I’m sure you meant something else though, but I’d like to hear it

Nope, once the court rules on something, it’s clearly over

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
You seem to confuse FDR’s “living wage” comments with a family wage...which is what I stated.  Read your history...living wage is not a family wage.

Sure. At a time when married women with children made up a tiny faction of the workforce - and when a large majority of adult women were married with kids - FDR differentiated between "living" and "family" wage.
Never mind what FDR actually said, though.
You're clearly a student of history.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
“Family wage. A family wage is a wage that is sufficient to raise a family. This contrasts with a living wage, which is generally taken to mean a wage sufficient for a single individual to live on, but not necessarily sufficient to also support a family.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »
“Family wage. A family wage is a wage that is sufficient to raise a family. This contrasts with a living wage, which is generally taken to mean a wage sufficient for a single individual to live on, but not necessarily sufficient to also support a family.”

I have a sneaking suspicion this wasn't said by FDR or anyone in the 1930s

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »

Quick Google search says it's from Wikipedia. Without a reference attached.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »

It wasn’t a quote by FDR, but FDR did talk about Min wage as a living wage.  Which is why I specifically said Family wage, huge difference.  Again, the min wage was never meant to support a FAMILY, which is what I said. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:12:12 PM by Cheeks »