[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DirecTV Sucks  (Read 23111 times)

Rhodescholar

• Walk-On
DirecTV Sucks
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
Hey Chicos,

I ordered HD through DirecTV and they showed up today with a bigger satellite. Of course none of this was mentioned when I called. There is no way I'm putting one of those eye sores on my house. It's bad enough as it is, now I'm putting a bigger, more obnoxious one up?

Time to switch back to cable.

🏀

• All American
Re: DirecTV Sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
Sounds like a bit of an overreaction. DirecTV has been nothing but solid at my house. It rarely ever goes down, unlike cable.

We still have an old-school USSB satellite from the mid-1990's when the dishes were $500. Now they are free!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:27:07 PM by marqptm »

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
i don't want to get in the middle of a fire fight but having once had cable (for about 10 years) and recently getting satellite (about 2 years) I can honestly say, in my experience, i would take cable over satellite any day. I've had bad luck, the dish seems so sensitive to any type of bad weather. better off sticking with cable unless you get off to having excess channels

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »
That's funny -- I value my TiVo (which DirecTV hooked me on, funny enough) much more than the company that provides content, but if DirecTV provided an actual TiVo again, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Even in SD the picture quality was better than TimeWarner.

Actually, Chicos, I saw that D* released a USB tuner for Windows Media Center. How about porting whatever needs to be done to make it usable on my USB-having, mpeg-4 capable Series3 TiVo?

(Sorry to hijack the thread  :-\)

-prevent
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »
Actually, Chicos, I saw that D* released a USB tuner for Windows Media Center. How about porting whatever needs to be done to make it usable on my USB-having, mpeg-4 capable Series3 TiVo?

Hmmm...I haven't seen that...can you add a link with more info?  I've got dish right now and that would solve ALL of my problems.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
i don't want to get in the middle of a fire fight but having once had cable (for about 10 years) and recently getting satellite (about 2 years) I can honestly say, in my experience, i would take cable over satellite any day.

That's interesting......I've had the exact opposite experience since switching to DTV about 7 yrs ago.  My reliability exceeds the cable my neighbors get -- by leaps and bounds. 

Plus the digital channels -- cable is so far behind its ridiculous.  The biggest downside is the lowsy selection of ondemand movies, but that's minor.  I just moved and had the 'movers advantage' service  - - got a huge upgrade for next to nothing.   Best part about Directv are the fees -- cable adds all of those hidden surcharges that are created purely by the provider to create profit margin, not to mention higher taxes on the service.  Directv charges are much more straightforward and nearly flat by compare

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:37:33 PM »
Hey Chicos,

I ordered HD through DirecTV and they showed up today with a bigger satellite. Of course none of this was mentioned when I called. There is no way I'm putting one of those eye sores on my house. It's bad enough as it is, now I'm putting a bigger, more obnoxious one up?

Yeah, it's all of 6 inches larger on each side and 2 inches taller which allows you to receive 100 HD stations now and about 160 by the end of the year.  Hey, enjoy cable with their 12 HD stations...each to his own I guess....it's still a very small dish, smaller then the DISH HD dish...again, each to his own.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:12:02 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »
That's funny -- I value my TiVo (which DirecTV hooked me on, funny enough) much more than the company that provides content, but if DirecTV provided an actual TiVo again, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Even in SD the picture quality was better than TimeWarner.

(Sorry to hijack the thread  :-\)

-prevent

Our new HD DVRs all take usage of the USB ports and allow remote booking, media sharing, etc....but not the TiVos...won't happen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »
i don't want to get in the middle of a fire fight but having once had cable (for about 10 years) and recently getting satellite (about 2 years) I can honestly say, in my experience, i would take cable over satellite any day. I've had bad luck, the dish seems so sensitive to any type of bad weather. better off sticking with cable unless you get off to having excess channels

Sounds like a bad install.

According to studies, DIRECTV is at 99.96% reliability, DISH is at 99.38%, and cable varies from 95% to 98%.

This study is based on a continuous signal.  So when satellite goes out, it goes out usually for a few seconds or a minute....when cable goes out...it's often out for hours at a time.  Plus, when someone hits a line, knocks over a cable pole, etc then the entire neighborhood is screwed...unless the Chinese start zapping satellites out of the air, everything is independent of that.

But hey, each to his own.  It's not for everyone....I love my HD stations, I'll tell you that.  I do have to laugh at cable's HD claims of late...talk about lying out of their ass.  Great stuff and the lawsuits are flying.  Looking forward to the courts telling them to pound sand.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
i will admit, HD is nice. I don't really watch enough tv in order for satellite to make it worth it for me. All I really watch is espn, courttv, history channel and discovery channel. So while i'm home the satellite is nice, i'm also content @ my apt. with cable

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »
i don't want to get in the middle of a fire fight but having once had cable (for about 10 years) and recently getting satellite (about 2 years) I can honestly say, in my experience, i would take cable over satellite any day.

That's interesting......I've had the exact opposite experience since switching to DTV about 7 yrs ago.  My reliability exceeds the cable my neighbors get -- by leaps and bounds. 

Plus the digital channels -- cable is so far behind its ridiculous.  The biggest downside is the lowsy selection of ondemand movies, but that's minor.  I just moved and had the 'movers advantage' service  - - got a huge upgrade for next to nothing.   Best part about Directv are the fees -- cable adds all of those hidden surcharges that are created purely by the provider to create profit margin, not to mention higher taxes on the service.  Directv charges are much more straightforward and nearly flat by compare

OnDemand will be changing extensively in the coming months...we have a version that just launched in beta and will have similar selection to what cable has.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
DirecTV wish customers a Merry Christmas… by hiking prices

Pay TV service providers are among a few groups of companies that customers love to hate, and sometimes they go out of their way to remind us why. As families across the country come together to celebrate the holidays, satellite TV giants Dish Network and DirecTV are wishing them a Merry Christmas by hiking the cost of their service plans.

http://news.yahoo.com/dish-directv-wish-customers-merry-christmas-hiking-prices-144525163.html

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
Someone's gotta pay for Chicos to be on here all day long.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »
The reason I am a believer in DirecTV is simple: the C41 Wireless Genie rocks my world.

Putting a TV essentially anywhere in or around the house is a first-world country blessing.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »
The reason I am a believer in DirecTV is simple: the C41 Wireless Genie rocks my world.

Putting a TV essentially anywhere in or around the house is a first-world country blessing.

Hell yeah...and a $2 to $5 increase per month?

Won't really even notice it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
Someone's gotta pay for Chicos to be on here all day long.

he works odd hours, brah.

and what's with the chick in the .gif that looks like she's at a party at 4ever's crib?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
Jay Bee and Sultan seem to be big fans of Direct TV.

I am curious to learn more.  I've got the Comcast bundle.  Not sure if it is the best deal.  I've had a Comcast e-mail address forever.  Does anyone know if I will lose that if I were to drop Comcast? Same goes for the home number too.

How many TV's can you run off a satellite box?  I have 5 HD ready TV's in the house but only have 2 hooked up to an HD box to (1) keep the cost down and (2) not have to make room on the kitchen counter for a box that is bigger than the TV.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »

Does it come with that incredibly hot chick that used to be on the commercials, then it would be worth.

I switched to DirecTV a year ago. Much, much better than cable and no reception problems at all, even during rain and snow.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
If anyone is thinking of moving to DirecTV, PM me for a great way to save $100!!!!!

Does it come with that incredibly hot chick that used to be on the commercials, then it would be worth.

No, but that girl looked a lot like Chasey Lain. I will say if you have kids you may want to have some channels blocked... when I'm going through the guide it's amazing to see how much filthy smut DirecTV offers.

Chili - with a Genie box... you've got the one 'main' DVR (that can record a bunch of things all at the same time.. and can be accessed by other TV's/clients)... it's small.

Then I've got a network thingy.. that talks to the Genie Wireless devices.. they are SMALL boxes.. you plug 'em into an outlet, but they require no coaxial cable, etc.. they talk to the DVR through the network thingy.

You can have as many of the wireless things you want (at $6 a pop/month), but only 3 can be used at any one time... ALSO, if your TV is RVU-enabled (a couple of my Samsungs are)... you don't even need the wireless thing.. the TV can talk to the network thingy...

From a clutter/space saving standpoint.. it's great. And not needing a coaxial cable rules.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

I am curious to learn more.  I've got the Comcast bundle.  Not sure if it is the best deal.  I've had a Comcast e-mail address forever.  Does anyone know if I will lose that if I were to drop Comcast? Same goes for the home number too.

We had a different cable company.  We were able to keep them as ISP only.  We dropped our home line years ago so I don't know about that.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »

I am curious to learn more.  I've got the Comcast bundle.  Not sure if it is the best deal.  I've had a Comcast e-mail address forever.  Does anyone know if I will lose that if I were to drop Comcast? Same goes for the home number too.

How many TV's can you run off a satellite box?  I have 5 HD ready TV's in the house but only have 2 hooked up to an HD box to (1) keep the cost down and (2) not have to make room on the kitchen counter for a box that is bigger than the TV.

I also had Comcast for years, hated it.  We have DISH now, have had it for about a year.  So far, no major complaints.  The satellite only went out once and it was during a major snow storm and it was only out for about 15 minutes.  I enjoy getting the satellite radio stations that I can put on just to kill time when I'm working or cleaning the house or something.

DISH has the Hopper thing now.  Seems really, really cool.  I think it's a lot like DirectTVs Genie, but perhaps has even more capabilities.  I don't have it because the upgrade price will be too high -- that's probably the major complaint I do have with DISH is that I do not want to pay upwards of a couple hundred dollars just for the install of their upgraded product.

I still keep Comcast for my internet, since their internet product is the best around if you ask me (in Chicago area).  So you could switch to DirecTV or DISH and still keep Comcast as your ISP, which in turn would mean you could keep your comast email address.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
Yeah, it's all of 6 inches larger on each side and 2 inches taller which allows you to receive 100 HD stations now and about 160 by the end of the year.  Hey, enjoy cable with their 12 HD stations...each to his own I guess....it's still a very small dish, smaller then the DISH HD dish...again, each to his own.

Not saying which is better (have never had satellite so I can't say, although I am relatively happy with my cable provider), but just wanted to correct something, I get about 100 HD channels with the standard HD package, not 12.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
Not saying which is better (have never had satellite so I can't say, although I am relatively happy with my cable provider), but just wanted to correct something, I get about 100 HD channels with the standard HD package, not 10.

Chicos made that statement almost six years ago.  A lot has changed since then.

But IMO Direct TV even has a better HD picture than my cable company did.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
I switched back to DirecTV this week after having DISH for the past couple years.  I prefer DirecTV from an equipment and programming perspective, but DISH is typically a little less expensive.  After you satisfy your two year commitment your price incentives are gone, and by switching you not only get new discounts, but also newer equipment which seems to have changed quite a bit in the last couple years (Hopper/Genie) with no upcharge.  My only beef with the changeover was with the DTV installation the tech told me he couldn't mount my new dish to the built-in mounting block on the side of the house, and had to mount it to a rooftop since the mounting footprint changed and was larger now.  He pulled all the wires from the old to the new, but then left the DISH satellite hanging there with no connections to it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
I have Dish at the fire station.   It loses signal almost daily.   I will never have satellite at home.  Had U-verse, but their prices got jacked up too high.   Currently with Comcast.   Dislike the less simple way to get to HD channels, compared to U-Verse.   Like paying $75 a month less. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »

DirecTV and Dish both broadcast at 1080p.  Most cable companies broadcast at a maximum of 720.  Pretty funny that most people who have cable don't know this, pay more money for the 1080 broadcast but are limited by the cable company.

:)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
DirecTV and Dish both broadcast at 1080p.  Most cable companies broadcast at a maximum of 720.  Pretty funny that most people who have cable don't know this, pay more money for the 1080 broadcast but are limited by the cable company.

:)

1080p at a down-rezzed speed is NOT even close to say 1080p as seen on a blu-ray disk. It's not a fair comparison 720 vs. 1080 for any broadcast or streaming situation, no one is sending the complete signal, same for the surround sound via any provider. Netflix is another - any streamed movies do not include full 1080p or DTS-HD master audio

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »
1080p at a down-rezzed speed is NOT even close to say 1080p as seen on a blu-ray disk. It's not a fair comparison 720 vs. 1080 for any broadcast or streaming situation, no one is sending the complete signal, same for the surround sound via any provider. Netflix is another - any streamed movies do not include full 1080p or DTS-HD master audio

Absolutely true.  Blu-rays blow away my television signal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

Whoops. Didn't realize this was an old hoopalooped thread. Carry on :-)

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
Haha I read this whole thread not knowing it's from 2008. Anyway direct tv's on demand selection is still bad and the interface for their guide is absolutely horrible.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 02:01:30 PM »
Haha I read this whole thread not knowing it's from 2008. Anyway direct tv's on demand selection is still bad and the interface for their guide is absolutely horrible.

The interface won an Emmy as the best interface in television, beating out cable, Telco and DISH. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
he works odd hours, brah.

Truer words have never been spoken...had to work (from home, thankfully) on XMAS Eve, XMAS Day, etc.   I know some fire fighters and police here do as well, but we definitely aren't a 8 to 5 job.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
I have Dish at the fire station.   It loses signal almost daily.   I will never have satellite at home.  Had U-verse, but their prices got jacked up too high.   Currently with Comcast.   Dislike the less simple way to get to HD channels, compared to U-Verse.   Like paying $75 a month less. 

That means someone did a very piss poor installation.  You shouldn't lose signal...I have video of people not losing signal during Katrina from satellite.  If it is setup properly, it shouldn't lose signal except in the rarest exceptions....every day...wow, that means something was very wrong.  I don't work for DISH, but someone screwed that up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »
Yo, I worked Xmas eve. At one time or another I've put out fires on every major holiday and goofy hours as well. When ya need me, a plumber ain't gonna help.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
DirecTV wish customers a Merry Christmas… by hiking prices

Pay TV service providers are among a few groups of companies that customers love to hate, and sometimes they go out of their way to remind us why. As families across the country come together to celebrate the holidays, satellite TV giants Dish Network and DirecTV are wishing them a Merry Christmas by hiking the cost of their service plans.
http://news.yahoo.com/dish-directv-wish-customers-merry-christmas-hiking-prices-144525163.html

On January 1st, that's when the cost to carry ESPN goes up, HBO, Showtime, A&E, ABC, CBS, MTV, etc, etc, etc.   Like clockwork, new year means we write bigger checks to those companies and costs are passed down.  DISH does theirs in January, we don't take ours up until February.  Telco, cable, etc, all doing the same because they are all getting hit with cost of goods increases at the beginning of the year.

Just as our electricity rates were just announced they were going up....water rates going up, etc.  If human capital is involved in delivering those services, you can pretty much guarantee prices are going up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
Yo, I worked Xmas eve. At one time or another I've put out fires on every major holiday and goofy hours as well. When ya need me, a plumber ain't gonna help.

they film porn on christmas eve?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »

I have no doubt....glad you are there for people.  My dad would often say don't get injured or sick around Christmas, but you don't what kind of medical assistance you are going to get.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
they film porn on christmas eve?

Pretty sure, Casting Couch and Exploited College Girls film 24/7.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
That means someone did a very piss poor installation.  You shouldn't lose signal...I have video of people not losing signal during Katrina from satellite.  If it is setup properly, it shouldn't lose signal except in the rarest exceptions....every day...wow, that means something was very wrong.  I don't work for DISH, but someone screwed that up.

The only times I lose signal is when there is A LOT of rain just to my southwest.  It could be dry here and pouring just a couple miles away and I won't get a signal....or pouring here and dry a couple miles away and I'll be fine.

Also, those sticky snow storms sometimes require me to wipe off the dish. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »

We took down a tree late last summer thinking that it was interfering.   We had a tech out in November who re-wired the whole thing.   The problems have not abated.  If it were just a bad-weather issue, I could forgive that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »

The only times I lose signal is when there is A LOT of rain just to my southwest.  It could be dry here and pouring just a couple miles away and I won't get a signal....or pouring here and dry a couple miles away and I'll be fine.

coat your dish in teflon!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »

I suspect when you do lose it, probably HD and not SD, right?  HD uses Ka band frequency while SD uses Ku frequency, at least that's how we have ours set up.  Ka is more susceptible than Ku.  In the coming years as 4K launches (next year) and SD goes away, you will see a migration more to Ku which will make any outages even less of an issue.  Reverse band will also play a role as that uses an entirely different frequency.

All that said, check your readings, if they aren't in the low 90's, you should have it tweaked.  A signal in the 90's is going to withstand most of what mother nature delivers if not all.  If you're in the 80's or 70's, the dish needs to be repointed as that will definitely suffer, no question, from weather events as the signal is not peaking properly on your dish.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
We took down a tree late last summer thinking that it was interfering.   We had a tech out in November who re-wired the whole thing.   The problems have not abated.  If it were just a bad-weather issue, I could forgive that.   

Maybe it's a DISH issue, there is just no way that should happen.  Absolutely none....something isn't right. They should be giving you service that rates on connectivity above 99.9%. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
coat your dish in teflon!

I know you are joking, but we have customers that do this, or spray with PAM or silicone spray.  Don't do it.  They end up causing more problems than helping....the chemical can degrade the reflector, cause dust and dirt buildup, attract birds, etc.  There is such a thing as a dish heater that I've heard of people using with some success where they get 100+ inches of snow a year. 

http://www.satpro.tv/dish-heaters.aspx

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
I suspect when you do lose it, probably HD and not SD, right?  HD uses Ka band frequency while SD uses Ku frequency, at least that's how we have ours set up.  Ka is more susceptible than Ku.  In the coming years as 4K launches (next year) and SD goes away, you will see a migration more to Ku which will make any outages even less of an issue.  Reverse band will also play a role as that uses an entirely different frequency.

All that said, check your readings, if they aren't in the low 90's, you should have it tweaked.  A signal in the 90's is going to withstand most of what mother nature delivers if not all.  If you're in the 80's or 70's, the dish needs to be repointed as that will definitely suffer, no question, from weather events as the signal is not peaking properly on your dish.

I have lost signal three times in about 14 months.  Not a problem at all.  Wonderful product.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
Sildenafil works wonders, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:58 PM »
Truer words have never been spoken...had to work (from home, thankfully) on XMAS Eve, XMAS Day, etc.   I know some fire fighters and police here do as well, but we definitely aren't a 8 to 5 job.

Christmas Dinner, x 4

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
I know you are joking, but we have customers that do this, or spray with PAM or silicone spray.  Don't do it.  They end up causing more problems than helping....the chemical can degrade the reflector, cause dust and dirt buildup, attract birds, etc.  There is such a thing as a dish heater that I've heard of people using with some success where they get 100+ inches of snow a year. 

http://www.satpro.tv/dish-heaters.aspx

Where they get 100" of snow is the UP.  The UP still believes in the big 80's dishes.  Nothing but big 80's dishes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
Where they get 100" of snow is the UP.  The UP still believes in the big 80's dishes.  Nothing but big 80's dishes.

We call them BUDs...Big Ugly Dishes.  Tend to be about 6 feet to 8 feet.   Alaska for even a service like ours or DISH uses a 3 meter dish, but has less to do with the snow then it does the azimuth angle to the birds in space delivering the signal.  They need a larger collection area to receive the signal.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Yeah, it's all of 6 inches larger on each side and 2 inches taller which allows you to receive 100 HD stations now and about 160 by the end of the year.  Hey, enjoy cable with their 12 HD stations...each to his own I guess....it's still a very small dish, smaller then the DISH HD dish...again, each to his own.

I've got comcast and although I hate it (part of a condo hoa fee) I do get every channel in HD. Unless you've got some other definition of HD.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
I've got comcast and although I hate it (part of a condo hoa fee) I do get every channel in HD. Unless you've got some other definition of HD.

Note I made that comment in 2008, when Comcast had about 12 channels in HD.  Though even today, not every channel is in HD...no one has an all HD lineup because not all channels are even available in HD yet.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
Note I made that comment in 2008, when Comcast had about 12 channels in HD.  Though even today, not every channel is in HD...no one has an all HD lineup because not all channels are even available in HD yet.

Sorry bout that. I didn't even consider a thread that old would be resurrected...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
np

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
The interface won an Emmy as the best interface in television, beating out cable, Telco and DISH. 

What year did this happen? I ask because I think the U-Verse interface is unmatched in simplicity, looks, and intuitiveness. Comcast is the worst I've used. Direct tv seems convoluted imo

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »

Is that true, Chicos? Will all the sd channels that are not HD now become HD or just dropped. Was wondering if C-span will go HD soon. ...and yes the only time I lose signal is in a heavy thunderstorm or when snow collects on my dish...no big deal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
What year did this happen? I ask because I think the U-Verse interface is unmatched in simplicity, looks, and intuitiveness. Comcast is the worst I've used. Direct tv seems convoluted imo

Last year

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Is that true, Chicos? Will all the sd channels that are not HD now become HD or just dropped. Was wondering if C-span will go HD soon. ...and yes the only time I lose signal is in a heavy thunderstorm or when snow collects on my dish...no big deal.

SD isn't going away next year, 4K is coming next year.  It will take a few years for SD to go away.  There are still millions and millions of people out there with SD televisions that have long life spans. 

To answer your question, yes those SD only channels will have to produce in HD if they wish to be carried in HD.  Technically, they don't have to do that.  I have only HD equipment in my house, but some channels are still in SD and we watch them.  It's up to the channel if they wish to do this, but they would be smart to do to it.

I think you will see SD around for another 4 to 6 years depending how things shake out in the industry.  You might see some providers go all HD faster than others because they are smaller in size or are a more recent distributor so fewer of their customers have SD.  The issue is the tremendous capital cost in replacing millions of receivers at a pretty good cost per unit pop.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
4K is going to bomb.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
4K is going to bomb.

I don't think it's even going to reach enough mass to be considered a bomb.  Maybe "4K is going to thud"?  I'd agree with that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
I don't think it's even going to reach enough mass to be considered a bomb.  Maybe "4K is going to thud"?  I'd agree with that.

I work for a display mfg (commercial, not consumer), and we strongly consider 4k to be the next 3D. Public won't embrace it, cost/availability of content.

I'd rather buy a 70" or above 1080 TV than a 46"-55"
4k, not even a question in my mind.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
4K would be a joke since there isn't enough bandwidth now for anyone to distribute full 1080p

I haven't seen a demo but supposedly there is no noticeable improvement except on very large screens, it reeks more of marketing ala 240hz LCD sets etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »
4K is going to bomb.

It depends and you could be absolutely right.  It certainly will do better than 3D.  4K is more than just enhanced picture, it allows the splicing of data within the picture.  As an example, you could have video on 2/3 of the display and incorporate independent graphics, different video, etc in the other 1/3 that is dynamic, not all part of the same video stream.

I don't think it will bomb, I also don't think it will be as great a jump as HD.  It's somewhere in between.  The key will be the cost of the 4K television sets and how much content is out there.  You need all for it to succeed.  New MPEG4 codecs coming out as well, which will help on the badwidth consumption which is another negative for HD and especially 4K

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »
4K would be a joke since there isn't enough bandwidth now for anyone to distribute full 1080p

I haven't seen a demo but supposedly there is no noticeable improvement except on very large screens, it reeks more of marketing ala 240hz LCD sets etc.

This where a company like DIRECTV can do something (again) that many others can't.  It is bandwidth intensive, but we can use reverse band to deliver something like this while cable cannot.

I've seen the demo, it definitely makes a different on the larger screens.  That's why this will be a product mostly consumed by your higher end crowd and not every day guy like HD, though even HD adoption still isn't universal. 

It won't bomb, but it isn't the same as HD either.  I certainly wouldn't categorize it as a marketing item....there are things 4K is capable of that "regular" HD is not, regardless of bit rate or resolution (1080i, 1080p, 720p)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
Missed the first 5 minutes of the game as the dish went out on a wind-free 45 degree day.   8 minutes to reboot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
DISH Network Sucks
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
Missed the first 5 minutes of the game as the dish went out on a wind-free 45 degree day.   8 minutes to reboot.

You guys need to get rid of DISH Network....seriously.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:48:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
Hey Chicos,

I got fed up with cable around 1997.  sh!tty equipment and worse service out here in NorCal.  Switched to DTV in 1997 and a early HD adopter in 2000 and have kept their service ever since.  With cable I had homicidal moments in front of the TV.  DTV hasn't gotten under my skin except for the costs.  Out here with occasional monsoon winter storms I have never lost signals with DTV.   One  time I got into a war with my home owner association over the placement of my dish, but other than that, DTV has been an after thought.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
I got fed up with cable around 1997.  sh!tty equipment and worse service out here in NorCal.  Switched to DTV in 1997 and a early HD adopter in 2000 and have kept their service ever since.  With cable I had homicidal moments in front of the TV.  DTV hasn't gotten under my skin except for the costs.  Out here with occasional monsoon winter storms I have never lost signals with DTV.   One  time I got into a war with my home owner association over the placement of my dish, but other than that, DTV has been an after thought.

Have had DTV since June of 2000 and couldn't be happier.  Every once in awhile I might have to get out the ladder and broom to brush off snow but that is very rare.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
Have had DTV since June of 2000 and couldn't be happier.  Every once in awhile I might have to get out the ladder and broom to brush off snow but that is very rare.

Thinking about it after seeing the wireless set up JB has at his new crib.

I see they have some year end deals too.  Just worried about giving up my Comcast email that I've had forever. 

Chicos, got any coupons?  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Thinking about it after seeing the wireless set up JB has at his new crib.

I see they have some year end deals too.  Just worried about giving up my Comcast email that I've had forever.  

Chicos, got any coupons?  ;)

Friends and Family offer....just PM me when you are ready.  As for email, I long ago switched to a "neutral" email provider so I wouldn't be tied to a provider if I switched.  Whether it is gmail, hotmail, yahoo, or whatever, it is provider agnostic and gives you a lot more flexibility to move as you wish.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
This could also be posted to the Doom thread ..

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/01/directv-races-to-decommission-broken-boeing-satellite-before-it-explodes/

Cheeks, any comment?

He's currently in a spacesuit getting ready for a space walk.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 08:11:10 PM »
This could also be posted to the Doom thread ..

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/01/directv-races-to-decommission-broken-boeing-satellite-before-it-explodes/

Cheeks, any comment?

First off, it's a load of crap click bait.  It's a backup satellite that covers Alaska only.  If this was 10 years ago, it would be a big problem as SW1 was covering most of the USA, but that bird long ago was put into backup role and is way past its intended lifespan.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback