Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Composite Rankings (40+ ranking systems)  (Read 8066 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Composite Rankings (40+ ranking systems)
« on: December 12, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
As stated earlier, too early in my opinion to be as valuable as they are later in season when more games are played, but for those interested a link to the composite rankings page of 41 ranking systems.

Marquette has a rating of 32 when aggregating them all.  A high of 17, a low in the 70’s.  Not here to say one is better than another.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Composite Rankings (40+ ranking systems)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
Luckily the "analyst" that has MU in the 70's also thinks they play at the BMO.  I'm sure that's the reason for being such an outlier and has nothing to do with a poor dataset or issues with their modeling.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »
Only seem to be three major outliers for low ranking. That 17 is out of the blue as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:17:57 AM »
“Too early to be as valuable as they are later in the season.”

Lol. What a nut.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
“Too early to be as valuable as they are later in the season.”

Lol. What a nut.

Sagarin, Pomeroy, Massey and others....the inventors of their systems...are nuts for saying essentially the same thing.  Classic.

At any rate, for you bettors out there, some comparisons of Bovada, Sagarin and Pomeroy

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/strategy/kenpom-vs-sagarin/

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
Only seem to be three major outliers for low ranking. That 17 is out of the blue as well

You're wrong!  David Wilson is the smartest of all the geniuses who ever geniused with basketball analytics.  He knows something no one else does and his system in flawless.   How DARE you?!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
“Hey coach Chicos, should we start stalling? We’re up by 24 with 1:14 left.”

“It’s too early to stall”

“Ok, we won’t stall the offense”

“Oh no, we should stall. I meant that stalling now is too early to be as valuable as stalling with 8 seconds left.”

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
“I don’t put any stock in this but here’s a link to something I put no stock in just in case anybody else wants to know what the rankings are showing!”

PS Your statement will hold true through the final buzzer of the National Title game. The rankings will be their most “valuable” after every single game of the season has been played. So please refrain from using any ranking system here until every last game has been played. Just too early to be as valuable as the rankings will be come a week into April.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
Others of interest:

Maryland = 5
Purdue = 19
USC = 62
Davidson = 98
Kansas State 106

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
“I don’t put any stock in this but here’s a link to something I put no stock in just in case anybody else wants to know what the rankings are showing!”

PS Your statement will hold true through the final buzzer of the National Title game. The rankings will be their most “valuable” after every single game of the season has been played. So please refrain from using any ranking system here until every last game has been played. Just too early to be as valuable as the rankings will be come a week into April.

Lol.

No the tournaments a crap shoot so the rankings are useless
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
“Hey coach Chicos, should we start stalling? We’re up by 24 with 1:14 left.”

“It’s too early to stall”

“Ok, we won’t stall the offense”

“Oh no, we should stall. I meant that stalling now is too early to be as valuable as stalling with 8 seconds left.”

Yeah, that’s analogous.  Super tight

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »

Lol.

Again, your willingness to go to the absurd is fully on display.  You forgot about the part where usually come sometime in January the movement is small and the data set more valuable.  Yes, it is most valuable at the end if you wish to be absurd, but using common sense (I know you can do it if you try or simply listen to the guys that created these) the usefulness improves after the population of data reaches a certain state. 

It’s also why I said it is valuable now, but more valuable in January.  The incremental jumps in value are made Nov to Dec, Dec to Jan.  The improvements beyond that are small because the data set is robust enough.  I know you know this and you are just being you...so carry on.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »
I realize I didn't exactly add anything of value to this conversation... but just gotta say you guys can suck the fun out of any topic.    You realize you all argued about this in 15 other threads, right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
I realize I didn't exactly add anything of value to this conversation... but just gotta say you guys can suck the fun out of any topic.    You realize you all argued about this in 15 other threads, right?

But that's what makes this thread so special, it was started for the express purpose of sucking the fun out of the topic!
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
There is a common denominator.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
32 sounds about right.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »

Thought every poster on every thread!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »

Yup, the attackers who attack constantly....you nailed it.  Not what is said, but who says the what.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 12:32:34 AM »
Yup, the attackers who attack constantly....you nailed it.  Not what is said, but who says the what.

Lol.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »
So true--it's everyone else's fault. Common Denominator is just a victim, always.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 08:23:09 PM »
So true--it's everyone else's fault. Common Denominator is just a victim, always.

Always, never...lazy

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »
Ok, Common

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 08:53:37 AM »
Up slightly to number 31

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
Luckily the "analyst" that has MU in the 70's also thinks they play at the BMO.  I'm sure that's the reason for being such an outlier and has nothing to do with a poor dataset or issues with their modeling.

??

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »
??

I was inferring that if they can't even get the correct arena information how can we trust any of their data or analysis thereof.

feedback