[Today at 06:12:30 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU coasters  (Read 13880 times)

alexplaybookproducts

• Walk-On
Re: MU coasters
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
WOW  :o Hey everyone, I help run Playbook Products and produce these coasters!

The support shown here has been spectacular! We've had a flurry of orders and I was able to track it back to this post! Really glad you guys find them so cool!

Anyone have any amazing stories from memories of these plays/games? Would love to hear them!

Also, the hardest part of choosing 4 plays to complete a set is extremely difficult, especially without necessarily being a fan. We've seen a lot of the opinions and will take these into account when we will hopefully eventually put out additional sets/plays.

Once again, thank you so much OP and to everyone who loves the coasters! :D

p.s, I'm a diehard Packers fan myself. I'm assuming most of you guys on this sub are as well? Go Pack Go! I try to contribute to r/Packers when I can if any of you guys lurk over there! Big game this week, let's keep pushing for home field.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:04 PM »
Thanks Alex. Indeed Go Pack Go!
Is it possible to personalize these coasters?
I.e. could I give you 4 different favorite MU plays that could be put on coasters?
Thank you

alexplaybookproducts

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
At this moment, personalized coasters aren't available but feel free to give your opinion on which are the 4 greatest plays for MU basketball and that you'd like to see on a coaster!

Also, I understand people's complaints about the FT, so I'd love to just defend it a bit. The free throw was the shot that Marquette actually took the lead, after which, they never trailed and for the most part, just shot more free throws. Plus, I personally sorta like the clean appearance of having a free throw in the set.

That being said, I understand everyone else will have their own thoughts! The coasters aren't meant to be a definitive top 4 - but more of a cool conversation piece that can starts fans walking down memory lane or just general MU talk!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:18:10 PM by alexplaybookproducts »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
Understood...more of question of possibility, as opposed to a specific request.
I’m sure you will get many requests...
Doc 1/2 court vs ND..
Terry Reason 360* dunk vs. whomever....😉

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
So, Buzz gets two plays, Crean and Al one.  All other coaches get zero. How does Deane-O not get a coaster?
still waiting for one of the meat summiteers to post a pic of blank coaster, and call it wojo's best play

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
It will be the exact same OOB play that we run under our basket......but on the 4th try we need to call a TO cuz we can’t inbound it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
It wasn't in the Championship game, and it might not work on a coaster because of it being full court rather than half court, but Jerome's buzzer beater is absolutely in the conversation for top 4 plays all time.  Another that probably wouldn't work on a coaster and generally gets less recognition because it was a defensive play was Bo's block after Dean went to the 4 Corners.   Honorable mention goes to Novak against ND, and best "busted" play would be JFB's buzzer beater at The RAC.   All IMO of course.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »

The support shown here has been spectacular! We've had a flurry of orders and I was able to track it back to this post! Really glad you guys find them so cool!

Anyone have any amazing stories from memories of these plays/games? Would love to hear them!

Also, the hardest part of choosing 4 plays to complete a set is extremely difficult, especially without necessarily being a fan. We've seen a lot of the opinions and will take these into account when we will hopefully eventually put out additional sets/plays.

p.s, I'm a diehard Packers fan myself. I'm assuming most of you guys on this sub are as well? Go Pack Go! I try to contribute to r/Packers when I can if any of you guys lurk over there! Big game this week, let's keep pushing for home field.

Please fix the davidson date!

My favorite reaction to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btk8Mx8qnf0

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »

I hate the Packers but love money. I will give you $100 in exchange for 25% ownership of the “business”. It’s a great offer that will help you greatly. Deal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »
Query:

Situation 1: End of game scenario, Team A is down by 1, drives the ball, makes a layup and is fouled with 1.1 on the clock (i.e. Team A is now leading by 1 with 1 FT coming).  Team B calls time-out.  Team A coach in huddle puts four X's on the whiteboard (where he wants the four non-shooters to stand) and tells the shooter to deliberately miss off the iron.

Situation 2: Also end of game scenario, Team A is down by 3, and is fouled on the floor (not in act of shooting) with 2.7 on the clock.  Shooter makes the first basket.  Team A, now down 2 with 1 FT coming, calls time-out.  Team A coach tells the shooter to put high arc on the ball and tells his 4 and 5 to take one step into the lane on the shot and then pull the chair when the defender boxes out (with the hope that the defender(s) will lose their balance and fall squarely on their ass).

Do either of the above qualify as a "play"?

Yessir, my friend.

It wasn't in the Championship game, and it might not work on a coaster because of it being full court rather than half court, but Jerome's buzzer beater is absolutely in the conversation for top 4 plays all time.

This.

Arguably, the most famous (and important) play in MU basketball history. I mean, it's no standard free throw ..  but give it a coaster!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »
Arguably, the most famous (and important) play in MU basketball history. I mean, it's no standard free throw ..  but give it a coaster!!

It's all subjective, so if someone's opinion differs from mine, still feel free to share.  IMO the only stone cold locks are something from 77 (I would personally give it to Jerome, but can see the argument against it, given that it was only the semi's), and something from Dwade's triple double.  Personally, I wouldn't put both of Vander's plays in there (partially because they were so similar, just a high ball screen and drive, partially because they were all of like 2 weeks apart).   I could see the nod going to Novak or Doc just because of the opponent.  If they were fully personalized (extreme bias alert), I would go with DJO's 3 to beat Cuse and go to the S16.  In case you can't figure it out, he was a favorite of mine.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
Thanks a lot, jerks!  It's sold out!

ETA:  Still available on the original website. $3.50 shipping.

Somebody owes me a Miller Lite.

Ha.  You know who isn’t sold out.... Bucky.  Probably because the four plays chosen all resulted in a flop or a shot clock violation.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 11:02:12 PM »
It wasn't in the Championship game, and it might not work on a coaster because of it being full court rather than half court, but Jerome's buzzer beater is absolutely in the conversation for top 4 plays all time..

You could do this, but then it would have to be a five coaster set. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:29 AM »
I really like these coasters.  Even though the Vander plays were essentially mirrors of each other, and only a few weeks apart, I think both merit a coaster.

Instead of coasters, is there any way to get these on a plaque? 

I would pay $40 for the Vander-Davidson plaque alone.  Maybe a plaque that has the play drawn up, and then a picture of the play.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Lucas' shot against Bucky in 1974 would be good.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »
These seem like a great idea.  Although they are a niche product, the ability to replicate them across so many schools and so many sports will hopefully lead to a successful run.  Good luck to the creator.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
These seem like a great idea.  Although they are a niche product, the ability to replicate them across so many schools and so many sports will hopefully lead to a successful run.  Good luck to the creator.

Agreed. It's an outstanding idea. Good entrepreneurship!

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »

Here's a story for you:

The year is 2013. I'm a Junior at MU. It's been a hell of a year - I'm taking 22 credit hours (whoops), TAing a class, unpaid internship at the courthouse, working 20+ hrs a week to make some cash, and running for President. It was a rough semester, I was barely sleeping and all I had to look forward to was MUBB. We're a 3-seed. Awesome. Let's make a run.

Game was on mid-day. Went over to a buddies house at 17th and State - picked up some Miller Lites and got settled in for the game. We all know how it went. Back and forth, down, etc. The one thing I was looking forward to was about to end before it even started. I was down. Real down.

Then came Jamil Wilson. Couple threes. We're in it. Then comes Vander. Sweet Vander. What a polarizing player he was up until this point. I wasn't the biggest fan as I had huge expectations for him being such a highly rated recruited. But my God did sack up and call game. The emotions after that layup... can't begin to describe them. Elated. I'll never forget that moment. Saved me from going into a big slump - I knew it was coming. Thank you Vander!

alexplaybookproducts

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 10:15:54 AM »
Can someone "tag" Eldon?

We don't do plaques but we do offer Wall Art! It's made of leatherette. As well as mugs, posters and more.

Although, we currently don't have Marquette products in any of these, we are approaching finishing up some software that will allow us to put all the plays onto any of those products. So stay tuned!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
Memories...

2003 - Was in the building. A friend had given me the ticket the day before, though I knew when I watched the Pitt win that I'd be in the building against Kentucky. We turned that placed into a sea of blue and gold. Wade was at his best. I remember Kentucky fans saying after the game that many didn't make the trip because they were saving money to go to the Final Four.

St John's - I applied to the Hilton Head Fire Department that year. On the drive back from the written test in Kentucky, I stopped at a Butler sports bar in Broad Ripple to visit with a friend and fellow Marquette fan I hadn't seen in years. He was the manager of the place and we watched that game together, highlighted by dancing and hugging in the back of the bar when Blue hit the shot. Lots of congratulations after the game from neutral Butler fans that had no way to know we would knock them out a couple weeks later. The best part...Brad Stevens used to have staff lunches at that same bar & my buddy had been telling Brad all year how mad he was for Maui. He made sure to let Stevens know how happy he was about the NCAA rematch.

Davidson - Watched that with coworkers at the old BBC on North Ave. I was sitting, completely dejected, when we looked dead. As we progressed to the mean from three, I got more and more excited, and when Blue hit the runner, I ran around the bar, then outside hugging and high fiving everyone in sight.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Agreed. It's an outstanding idea. Good entrepreneurship!

It's a great idea.  Unless he has a patent, it's bad entrepreneurship, because it seems like it's easily replicated.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
Can someone "tag" Eldon?

No need, we're all incessantly reading every thread with no hoops games for another few days. He'll see...

(But you could send him a private message if you like)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
Davidson - Watched that with coworkers at the old BBC on North Ave. I was sitting, completely dejected, when we looked dead. As we progressed to the mean from three, I got more and more excited, and when Blue hit the runner, I ran around the bar, then outside hugging and high fiving everyone in sight.

I went from sitting dejectedly in my recliner ... to standing in front of the TV as I watched our comeback happen ... to cheering wildly after Vander hit his winner. I then stood silently for about a minute because I couldn't believe we actually had won the game. Then I started texting everybody I knew. It was crazy.

I think last season's game at Creighton was the most unbelievable win I've ever witnessed -- I mean, we were down 5 with a second to go! Sam's shot ... the incredibly long review of it ... Markus taking over in OT to cap his 53-point night. It was impossible for us to win that game.

But Davidson, man, that's a close second. There's no way we can win. I love watching the final minute and a half of that game!!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
You're new around here Alex so I'll tell an abbreviated version of my Davidson story.

Exactly 24 hours before game time I had received 'the cancer call' from my doctor.  And not any run of the mill cancer call; serious stuff that could mean my eventual end if things went bad. Anyway, I drove to Lexington only sharing that news with one particular buddy.  For 38 minutes of basketball, it was just another bad day in what was becoming a trend.  But then the final 2 minutes.  And the final play.  I KNEW that shot was going in.  And it did.  Absolutely surreal.

By the way, I got a full clean bill of health 5 years after my 2013 treatments.