[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210855 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1775 on: November 17, 2021, 09:18:33 PM »
Succession has been great.

Jeremy Strong is gonna win another Emmy. He’s been awesome.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1776 on: November 17, 2021, 09:32:17 PM »
Get Shorty on Epix and Amazon prime. Boy did this fly under the radar. Was never a fan of Everybody Loves Raymond but Romano is hilarious here. As are a bunch of other actors who no one has ever heard of before- Goya Robles, Isaac Keys (former Packer) and especially Lidia Porto.

Assuming we’re talking about the same “Get Shorty” the book (Elmore Leonard) was fantastic and the movie (starring John Travolta) was very good. Didn’t know about the series.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1777 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
Assuming we’re talking about the same “Get Shorty” the book (Elmore Leonard) was fantastic and the movie (starring John Travolta) was very good. Didn’t know about the series.

Justified, also based on  an Elmore Leonard book, is pretty good.  Timothy Olyphant and Walton Googins star.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1778 on: November 18, 2021, 01:12:08 AM »

The movie was great (incredible cast) and was an adaption of the book. The tv series is different-more like an homage to the book-taking the notion of a minor Nevada mobster trying to make it as a producer in  Hollywood - but going off in different directions. Different story, different characters, similar concept.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:14:16 AM by Mutaman »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1779 on: November 18, 2021, 05:00:14 AM »

I also enjoyed "Be Cool" which was the movie follow-up, also starring Travolta. The highlight, though, is Dwyane Johnson, who steals every scene as the hilarious, flamboyantly gay bodyguard/enforcer Elliott.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: November 18, 2021, 09:58:26 AM »
Justified, also based on  an Elmore Leonard book, is pretty good.  Timothy Olyphant and Walton Googins star.

Justified is a really good series imo.

Other Leonard books I like that were adapted - 52 Pick Up, Hombre, Out of Sight, Touch and (my favorite) Rum Punch (which became Jackie Brown).

Guy was a great writer.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: November 19, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »
Marquette Basketball, it has been very entertaining to say the least; especially with essentially a new cast of players. Best show on TV bar none. Thank God it wasn't cancelled based on poor reviews the last several seasons.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: November 19, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
Curious as to what the "Curb" fans think of the new season.

Thought E3 was the strongest, the others have had their moments but largely fell flat.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1783 on: November 20, 2021, 08:39:09 AM »
Curious as to what the "Curb" fans think of the new season.

Thought E3 was the strongest, the others have had their moments but largely fell flat.

I'd agree with this. It's basically become a parody of itself, with repackaged versions of various bits and catchphrases. There also seems to have been more Jeff than in previous seasons, and he's just not funny.

That being said, I still laugh out loud a few times every episode, and it's hard to do comedy, so I'll keep watching.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: November 21, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer dropped this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvPPbJsSey0

Egon's grandchilden move to his farm and find his stuff. Venkman, Stantz, Zeddemore, Dana & Janine are all making appearances. Egon ghost potentially? Hoping Rick Moranis comes out of retirement for this as well.

Almost two years later from the original trailer.

It’s a good movie. It was a really good movie up until a point. Awesome to bring my kids after they got into the original and the sequel. I was smiling the whole time.

This makes it a proper trilogy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: November 21, 2021, 05:33:55 PM »
Almost two years later from the original trailer.

It’s a good movie. It was a really good movie up until a point. Awesome to bring my kids after they got into the original and the sequel. I was smiling the whole time.

This makes it a proper trilogy.

Ghostbusters 2 was garbage.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1786 on: November 21, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
Ghostbusters 2 was garbage.

If you’re talking about the female version, then yes. That’s trash, probably the worst movie I’ve forced myself to sit through. It has no redeeming qualities and not a singe funny scene.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: November 21, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »
If you’re talking about the female version, then yes. That’s trash, probably the worst movie I’ve forced myself to sit through. It has no redeeming qualities and not a singe funny scene.

I am literally talking about the movie Ghostbusters 2 with the original cast.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1788 on: November 21, 2021, 08:47:41 PM »
I am literally talking about the movie Ghostbusters 2 with the original cast.

It’s okay to have bad opinions, but thank you for mentioning a movie from 1989 in response to a movie that came out Thursday.

I am so continually enlightened by your posting presence.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1789 on: November 21, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
It’s okay to have bad opinions, but thank you for mentioning a movie from 1989 in response to a movie that came out Thursday.

Could you let us all know what we can post so you won't be offended?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: November 21, 2021, 08:53:45 PM »
Could you let us all know what we can post so you won't be offended?

Swimming pools.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1791 on: November 21, 2021, 09:57:59 PM »

She was responding to the fact that they mentioned it made a proper trilogy?

Sounds pretty related to me.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1792 on: November 22, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
Cowboy Bebop live-action on Netflix.

I was determined to dislike this, just like most reboots.

It's fun and funny. It feels like an anime in some ways, and like Firefly in other ways. Good, likeable cast. Nice sets. Believable technology for the retropunk space cowboy setting.

If you go in with low expectations you'll have a lot of fun.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: November 24, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
Thanks to my tip, the Fornetti Brothers from the Curse of Oak Island get a mention in the current Marquette Magazine.  (Page 34)

https://issuu.com/marquetteu/docs/marq_mag_fall_2021_issu

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1794 on: November 28, 2021, 11:30:36 PM »
Just finished Part 1 of Get Back, the Beatles documentary on Disney+.

Fascinating.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1795 on: November 29, 2021, 12:35:25 AM »
Just finished Part 1 of Get Back, the Beatles documentary on Disney+.

Fascinating.

My wife hates the Beatles with a burning passion so we won’t be watching that one.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1796 on: November 29, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »
My wife hates the Beatles with a burning passion so we won’t be watching that one.

I can understand not being a fan. Everybody's different, and we all like different music.

But "hating" them "with a burning passion"? What did they do to her?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1797 on: November 29, 2021, 07:53:17 AM »
I can understand not being a fan. Everybody's different, and we all like different music.

But "hating" them "with a burning passion"? What did they do to her?

I bet it has something to do with the fanatical nature of Beatles defenders.  I was at a party one time, music discussion ongoing and the Beatles came up.  I maintained my position that their influence is hard to match and their cultural legacy is undeniable, but I think their actual music is largely overrated and a ton doesn't hold up all that well.  You would have thought I spit individually in people's eyes while cursing their mothers.  One guy refused to speak to me the rest of the night.

I said something similar to my old roommate on a trip to London when decided if we would go to Abbey Road and he started yelling at me in the street.  The cult of personality is strong.

John Lennon was also a massive dbag.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1798 on: November 29, 2021, 08:15:46 AM »
The Beatles are like the Kennedys - best left for over-romanticized boomers from a bygone era.

IMO it isn't a coincidence that rock music got a whole lot better when the Beatles were exiting the scene. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: November 29, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »
I bet it has something to do with the fanatical nature of Beatles defenders.  I was at a party one time, music discussion ongoing and the Beatles came up.  I maintained my position that their influence is hard to match and their cultural legacy is undeniable, but I think their actual music is largely overrated and a ton doesn't hold up all that well.  You would have thought I spit individually in people's eyes while cursing their mothers.  One guy refused to speak to me the rest of the night.

I said something similar to my old roommate on a trip to London when decided if we would go to Abbey Road and he started yelling at me in the street.  The cult of personality is strong.

John Lennon was also a massive dbag.

I don't know enough about Lennon to know if he was "a massive dbag" or not. I liked (and still like) much of his music, and I was sad when he was murdered.

Otherwise, thanks for the explanation. We do sometimes form opinions about a person, rock band, sports team, whatever, based on their fans. Which doesn't seem fair ... but it simply "is." One of my best friends is a Red Sox fan, but I think he actually hates the Yankees more than he loves the Red Sox, and most of that is because he hates Yankee fans. That's fandom.

I'll agree to disagree with you and FBM about the quality of The Beatles' music, as I think they have dozens of songs that stand the test of time quite well, but I'm not what I would call a rabid fan or anything. I simply like listening to my favorites of theirs ... and there are lots of favorites for me.

And so far, I find the story that this documentary is telling to be fascinating. One doesn't have to like a band/person/group to find documentaries about them fascinating. Indeed, those who dislike The Beatles might like seeing all the tension and discord in the group.

There have been docs about Jeffrey Dahmer, John du Pont, Larry Flynt, etc. The Beatles are at least as likable as those gentlemen are - ha!