collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210881 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
Scurrilous lies...can you prove that?  The screenwriter 100% stands by them.  Why are you not giving that writer the benefit of the doubt?  Hmm.  We all know why.

People who knew Scruggs say it's not true.
People who worked with and employed Scruggs say it's not true.
Multiple law enforcement officers who worked with Scruggs say it's not true.
The person who wrote the Vanity Fair story the screenplay is partially based says there's zero evidence it's true.
The people who authored the book  the screenplay is  partially based says there's zero evidence it's true.

But a fiction writer who never met her says he stands behind his fiction, so we should believe him. Got it.
Not sure if you're trolling at this point or just remarkably obtuse.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
Furthermore, Scruggs was the crime reporter for the AJC.  She had plenty of sources where she could have gotten the information that the FBI was investigating Jewell.  But Clint and Chicos drink from the same brainless Kool Aid.  So I'm not surprised that both have come to the conclusion that a female reporter can't actually be good at their job without sleeping with someone.  Sexist trash.

Completely agree.

What I don’t get, though is why you and a couple others continue to argue with the ignorant troll.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
The person who wrote the Vanity Fair story the screenplay is partially based says there's zero evidence it's true.
The people who authored the book  the screenplay is  partially based says there's zero evidence it's true.

But a fiction writer who never met her says he stands behind his fiction, so we should believe him. Got it.

Why evidence leads you to believe Chico’s isn’t obtuse?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2019, 10:25:52 AM »
Completely agree.

What I don’t get, though is why you and a couple others continue to argue with the ignorant troll.

Yeah.. I know...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Some people say it isn’t true.  The screenwriter interviewed many people, he stands 100% behind every word.

Let me tell you how this would go if the screenwriter produced evidence, you and every media outlet would then destroy the guy for throwing dirt on her grave...he’s in a no win situation. He has made his statement after interviewing a number of people. There were also at least three books written about the event, not all are claiming what you are suggesting.  I get why some people are pissed.  I really get why the media is pissed, because they killed this man not by putting him, but spending 5 weeks pounding him daily when they shouldn’t have been.  Reprehensible....so now they are trying to deflect.

Great movie. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
Some people say it isn’t true.  The screenwriter interviewed many people, he stands 100% behind every word.

Let me tell you how this would go if the screenwriter produced evidence, you and every media outlet would then destroy the guy for throwing dirt on her grave...he’s in a no win situation. He has made his statement after interviewing a number of people. There were also at least three books written about the event, not all are claiming what you are suggesting.  I get why some people are pissed.  I really get why the media is pissed, because they killed this man not by putting him, but spending 5 weeks pounding him daily when they shouldn’t have been.  Reprehensible....so now they are trying to deflect.

Great movie.

I'm sure it's a fine film. Eastwood is an excellent director.
As for the rest ... #cheeksneverwrong

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
First, you lied by accusing others of "defending" the mistreatment of Jewell even though we did the exact opposite. Now, TAMU demonstrated how easily and willingly you lie by omission in your desperate attempts to justify your hatred for the free press. Sad to see somebody so filled with hate.

Go watch All the President's Men and/or Spotlight. Free thyself!

Actually he didn’t.  And my comments were about the media mistreating him for 5 weeks and destroying his life, something the media did on a daily basis with him and countless other examples.

But but but if I watch All the President’s Men there are sections of the movie that are false...oh dear...creative license...how can we take it seriously?  It makes the whole movie wrong.....

https://mediamythalert.com/2011/02/27/wapo-on-historically-faulty-films-ignoring-atpm/

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
Actually he didn’t.  And my comments were about the media mistreating him for 5 weeks and destroying his life, something the media did on a daily basis with him and countless other examples.

But but but if I watch All the President’s Men there are sections of the movie that are false...oh dear...creative license...how can we take it seriously?  It makes the whole movie wrong.....

https://mediamythalert.com/2011/02/27/wapo-on-historically-faulty-films-ignoring-atpm/

What’s it like always being wrong?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »

Well, you are an expert on fiction.

Glad you think it's good to stereotype and trash a dead woman for the entertainment of movie-goers. Character revealed. Again.

Watch Spotlight, in which an institution you hate helped root out evil perpetrated by an institution to which you've dedicated your life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
So, has anyone seen any good movies lately?  Television or streaming shows?

Ironic that the "What are you watching in 2020" appears to be well on its way to getting locked before we even close the books on 2019.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »

I’ve interviewed many people.

They feel that you are someone who thinks he knows everything about everything...aka a know-it-all.

The people I interviewed also feel that you are a gigantic tool.

I stand 100% behind every word I just wrote.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
So, has anyone seen any good movies lately?  Television or streaming shows?

Just finished Jack Ryan season 2. It was pretty good. Not great television, but fun to watch.

Watchmen is fantastic. I like it more and more the further I get. Looking forward to the finale tonight. Also re-read the graphic novel. Plan to watch it a second time. Also, I recommend the Peteypedia to anyone who is an avid watcher of the show, it's a nice companion piece, similar to the additional literature provided at the end of the original comic issues.

Mostly enjoying The Mandalorian as well. Episode 6 was...strange to watch, I guess? I thought the acting for the first 20 minutes or so felt really static, but the last 20 minutes was excellent and very tense.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2019, 12:59:26 PM »
Just finished Jack Ryan season 2. It was pretty good. Not great television, but fun to watch.

Watchmen is fantastic. I like it more and more the further I get. Looking forward to the finale tonight. Also re-read the graphic novel. Plan to watch it a second time. Also, I recommend the Peteypedia to anyone who is an avid watcher of the show, it's a nice companion piece, similar to the additional literature provided at the end of the original comic issues.

Mostly enjoying The Mandalorian as well. Episode 6 was...strange to watch, I guess? I thought the acting for the first 20 minutes or so felt really static, but the last 20 minutes was excellent and very tense.

Xi’an was way too much. Otherwise thoroughly enjoyed another episode. Kids won’t be a big fan though, not enough Child.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 01:25:25 PM »
First, you lied by accusing others of "defending" the mistreatment of Jewell even though we did the exact opposite. Now, TAMU demonstrated how easily and willingly you lie by omission in your desperate attempts to justify your hatred for the free press. Sad to see somebody so filled with hate.

Go watch All the President's Men and/or Spotlight. Free thyself!

Spotlight, you say?  The movie that defamed someone?  So much delicious irony coming from you.

In that case, defamation was ok?  Why, because as an atheist (your words) and it attacked a subject (religion) which you have happily attacked here over the years?

Now Richard Jewell, you claim the movie defames a journalist...and that cannot stand....even though the screenwriter stands by it.

Talk about some epic hypocrisy.

https://www.newsweek.com/spotlight-wrongly-shone-blame-academy-awards-oscars-child-sex-abuse-church-442831

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/11/21/when-truth-ends-editing-room-floor/a80DjFtwNj5CQfu6WuFBLL/story.html

Oopsies.  Was it ok then in Spotlight?  I’m confused because you recommend I see it, so it must be ok...right?  Right MU82?  Free thyself I believe is what you said.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:30:45 PM by Cheeks »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Actually

The boyfriend comment from the brother did not come from the article you posted.  Nor did the skirt reference.

The skirt reference came from a 2003 article I found about her that had the quotes I copied.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-culture-articles/requiem-for-a-reporter-kathy-scruggs/

I didn’t leave out anything out because there wasn’t anything in the above article like you describe.  Or in the below articles.

You're right, I did get the wrong article that you were referencing. But what's interesting is the reason why I got the wrong article.

The quote about her skirt was pretty compelling so I googled it.
“You can tell how badly Kathy needs a story by how short her skirt is that day.”
That quote appears on the internet exactly once, the article that I quoted. Which is why I assumed it was the article you were referring to.

So when you said it was a different one, I was surprised. At first glance, the quote was right there, I thought, how could google miss this? Then I looked closer. The quote in the article you posted was similar but different. The quote is actually:  “You can tell how badly she needs a story by how short her skirt is that day,”

You may ask, why this difference is important. Well if you read the article you posted, the "she" in that quote is NOT Kathy Scruggs. Here is the full quote:

Atlanta author Robert Coram borrowed liberally from Scruggs to reporter Kitty O’Hara in his 1997 Atlanta Heat. “You can tell how badly she needs a story by how short her skirt is that day,” the cops say in the book.

The quote is from a fictional book about a fictional character (Kitty O'Hara) that a crime fiction author based on Scruggs, not Scruggs herself.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a typing mistake on your part. But it certainly seems like you not only misquoted an article but also used a quote about a fictional character from a fictional book and presented it as quote about a real person.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight. I think the agenda comes across a little too heavy handed for my liking but works of historical fiction take creative liberties like this all the time. It makes the movie more compelling. As long as it is not attempting to portray itself as a documentary, I have no issue.

As a reminder:

If I am wrong I will correct it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:49:08 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
Spotlight, you say?  The movie that defamed someone?  So much delicious irony coming from you.

In that case, defamation was ok?  Why, because as an atheist (your words) and it attacked a subject (religion) which you have happily attacked here over the years?

Now Richard Jewell, you claim the movie defames a journalist...and that cannot stand....even though the screenwriter stands by it.

https://www.newsweek.com/spotlight-wrongly-shone-blame-academy-awards-oscars-child-sex-abuse-church-442831

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/11/21/when-truth-ends-editing-room-floor/a80DjFtwNj5CQfu6WuFBLL/story.html

Oopsies.  Was it ok then in Spotlight?  I’m confused because you recommend I see it, so it must be ok...right?  Right MU82?  Free thyself I believe is what you said.

The Catholic Church has been a true victim for years
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 01:45:55 PM »

Unlike one person who shall go nameless in this post, the "Spotlight" producers can admit an error.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/announcements/spotlight-statement-vindicates-jack-dunn.html

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »

Agree, Episode 6 felt different than the others but I'm sure there is something in there that will tie in later.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
Agree, Episode 6 felt different than the others but I'm sure there is something in there that will tie in later.

It feels like they are definitely building to something bigger, especially considering the E5 ending with Fennic Shand.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »
The Catholic Church has been a true victim for years

This.

Unlike one person who shall go nameless in this post, the "Spotlight" producers can admit an error.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/announcements/spotlight-statement-vindicates-jack-dunn.html

And this.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a typing mistake on your part. But it certainly seems like you not only misquoted an article but also used a quote about a fictional character from a fictional book and presented it as quote about a real person.

Why give hoopaloop the benefit of the doubt? The last time I did that, it turned out he had completely made up a poll to try to justify his point about compensating athletes for their NIL. And when called on it, with all facts presented, he still refused to admit his lie. It's who he is.

Spotlight, you say? I’m confused because you recommend I see it, so it must be ok...right?  Right MU82?  Free thyself I believe is what you said.

Yes, watch Spotlight.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »

So despite defaming someone, MU82 wants me to see it....interesting.  I wonder if they will put a disclaimer up front of the movie as the media is demanding Eastwood do....seems MU82 or others should demand this for all digital copies of Spotlight since all of a sudden for the first time in eons the media suddenly cares about every scene in a movie...so interesting.

Why should someone else admit an error if none was made?  If Jewell writers made an error, admit it.  If they didn’t, they should stand by their work. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »
Like the Mandalorian. What timeframe is this set. (meaning from I to IX)?in before the lock

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Like the Mandalorian. What timeframe is this set. (meaning from I to IX)?in before the lock

5 years after ROTJ

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »

As PTM said, its 5 years after RoTJ in the outer rim and is about 25 years before TFA
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
So despite defaming someone, MU82 wants me to see it....interesting.  I wonder if they will put a disclaimer up front of the movie as the media is demanding Eastwood do....seems MU82 or others should demand this for all digital copies of Spotlight since all of a sudden for the first time in eons the media suddenly cares about every scene in a movie...so interesting.

Why should someone else admit an error if none was made?  If Jewell writers made an error, admit it.  If they didn’t, they should stand by their work.

Go see Spotlight. Learn something.