[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hot take  (Read 12486 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Hot take
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
Thank you
Are Theo's numbers skewed by the fact that he starts both halves and thus is playing with the other four starters?
The others are often on the floor with other subs.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »
Are Theo's numbers skewed by the fact that he starts both halves and thus is playing with the other four starters?
The others are often on the floor with other subs.

That's a good question, and the starting lineup by far has the most possessions together of any 5-man tandem, so that could be a factor. However, that also means they are facing opponent starters most often, and outside of Loyola MD, MU hasn't been a juggernaut to start any half.

Theo has played 77% of his 299 possessions with Markus on the floor, Ed 75% of his 204, and Jayce 68% of his 141. So I don't really think we can say that the personnel around Theo is much different than that of Ed and Jayce. (All are between 3% and 5% of possession played without Markus and Sacar.) 

Last thing, I still don't think people appreciate what a force Theo is defensively, even if he's not a good rebounder. Only 19% of shots come at the rim when he's on, vs. 23.6% for Ed and 25% for Jayce. More importantly, opponents shoot 44.7% at the rim with Theo, while shooting 55.8% for Ed and 53.6% for Jayce. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
The “save fouls” reasoning for Theo makes no damn sense

1. He’s fouling less this year

2. It makes no sense. Let’s say Theo starts and picks up 2 fouls in 3 minutes. Sits the entire half. 3 min played.

Now let’s say he comes off the bench after 4 min. Picks up 2 fouls in 3 mins. 3 min played.

It’s the exact same thing. His issue is getting fouls in bunches. That doesn’t randomly change because he sits 4 minutes to begin the game
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »
Keep in mind that our starters go against THEIR starters, at least at the beginning of each half.  If Wojo and staff think that is the best matchup defensively or offensively (likely the former) to negate or slow down the other side, then that's what they are going to go with.  Let's give the staff who spends every day with them a little bit of latitude here.  They won't be 100% correct, but they have so much more information than we do, including the conditioning and health of Big Johnson.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
Keep in mind that our starters go against THEIR starters, at least at the beginning of each half.  If Wojo and staff think that is the best matchup defensively or offensively (likely the former) to negate or slow down the other side, then that's what they are going to go with.  Let's give the staff who spends every day with them a little bit of latitude here.  They won't be 100% correct, but they have so much more information than we do, including the conditioning and health of Big Johnson.

Cheeks is the king of posting cringe

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
Actually, that is more up RS, 4ever, Ziggy's, or JB's (nh) alley.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Cheeks just lets everyone know he refuses to get near teenage boys or young girls.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
Cheeks just lets everyone know he refuses to get near teenage boys or young girls.

*Isn't allowed near.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »

If it means stalking them on social media, you are correct.  Or just about any other aspect, for that matter unless as a coach, counselor or teacher.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
If it means stalking them on social media, you are correct.  Or just about any other aspect, for that matter unless as a coach, counselor or teacher.

If you need to consciously prevent yourself from interacting with teenage boys or young girls then good for you for having the self awareness to know it could lead you to trouble and keeping yourself from doing so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »
The Theo Slander will not stand.

The defensive stats are pure money. Theo is 25th in block percent after finishing 17th last season. Theo staying at home more to protect the paint has MU opponents shooting just 42% from two versus a 49% national average.

He has also cut way down on turnovers (moving picks) and his assist rate is almost double his frosh number.  More so, his free throw rate is a whopping 85%. The Act of Attrition has reversed as he spends more time on the floor due to less dumb fouls, while the opponents struggle with the three headed monster.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 11:21:44 PM »
If you need to consciously prevent yourself from interacting with teenage boys or young girls then good for you for having the self awareness to know it could lead you to trouble and keeping yourself from doing so.

Yeah, that’s it.  Sorry, I’ll continue to not follow 15 to 17 year old basketball players on social media because because I find it weird and too many of these guys are entitled to begin with.  We have a society judging how many followers and likes they get.  You can do whatever you wish, and I’ll choose my path. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 12:52:38 AM »
Another fun Theo John stat. Marquette went 14-3 last season when he played 19 minutes or more (aka stayed out of early foul trouble). They went 10-7 when he played 18 minutes or less and four of those wins came against Southern, North Dakota, UTEP, and Bethune Cookman (a 5th one came against DePaul). Marquette was also 8-0 when he played 25+ minutes.

So far this season we are 4-0 when Theo hits the 19 minute mark. He played 34 minutes in our best win (Purdue). His season low was against Maryland.

My hypothesis is that good things happen when Theo can stay on the floor.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
Another fun Theo John stat. Marquette went 14-3 last season when he played 19 minutes or more (aka stayed out of early foul trouble). They went 10-7 when he played 18 minutes or less and four of those wins came against Southern, North Dakota, UTEP, and Bethune Cookman (a 5th one came against DePaul). Marquette was also 8-0 when he played 25+ minutes.

So far this season we are 4-0 when Theo hits the 19 minute mark. He played 34 minutes in our best win (Purdue). His season low was against Maryland.

That is some good stuff there.  And likely why we see a lot more of Theo over Ed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 08:15:06 AM »
Cheeks is the king of posting cringe

You kept saying I was on ignore....yet you keep quoting me.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 08:21:43 AM »

You kept saying I was on ignore....yet you keep quoting me.

I quote people I have on ignore. I find that it's useful to use the ignore feature to diminish unproductive conversations that certain users often try to repeatedly reinvigorate, but still occasionally engage when appropriate. Using ignore while not publicly announcing I'm using ignore makes for a more productive Scoop experience for me.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:38 AM »
I quote people I have on ignore. I find that it's useful to use the ignore feature to diminish unproductive conversations that certain users often try to repeatedly reinvigorate, but still occasionally engage when appropriate. Using ignore while not publicly announcing I'm using ignore makes for a more productive Scoop experience for me.

If you have them on ignore to not see their comments, his stated reason, then you cannot quote them as it is hidden.  You have to reveal what was said.  Don’t worry, I knew he was fibbing when he said it and every time he quotes me it is humorous....it’s also humorous how selectively outraged he is.  Not what is said, but who says the what.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »

The narrative that Theo has little to no value to the Warriors is ridiculous. When he stays out of foul trouble and on the court, his defensive presence is worth many points per game. Because of his elite shotblocking skill (and shot-changing skill), he can affect a game in a different way than anybody else on our roster.

The problem, of course, is getting him to stay out of foul trouble and on the court. He's improving in that realm, though perhaps not enough. He played well in our most recent game at K-State: 3 blocks, 8 rebounds, numerous shot-trajectories altered in 21 solid minutes.

Wojo doesn't keep starting him just for funsies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
The narrative that Theo has little to no value to the Warriors is ridiculous.
Have scoopers actually said TJ has no value?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »

Not as drastic as "no value", but...

I do not think Theo has a great deal of basketball skills and is a marginal contributor. At this point, I would play Johnson until he got in foul trouble, followed by Ed and then Theo. Lack of scoring is far from top of list of things Theo would need to work on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »

Haven’t seen that...but seen the predictable “he has regressed” comments from several folks.  Of course they are not factoring in our schedule thus far this year vs last year at same time, or that we have a 3 headed monster this year vs last year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »
While he certainly has things he can improve on, Theo is absolutely a defensive game changer. Coach McDermott said it best last season "Don't challenge the monster in the post." I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Theo saves us a couple of points a game just on pure intimidation alone.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2019, 01:04:16 PM »
His season low was against Maryland.

He could have stayed on the floor vs. Maryland, aina? Coaches decision iirc. Jayce was rebounding... Theo had 0 all game.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
He could have stayed on the floor vs. Maryland, aina? Coaches decision iirc. Jayce was rebounding... Theo had 0 all game.

Fair.

And this is why we have more than one capable, role-playing center. Jayce looked like the best of the 3 for a couple games there, but Theo was very good against K-State. And Morrow has had his moments, too. Glad to have all 3.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »
you cannot quote them as it is hidden.  You have to reveal what was said.

If you ignore someone, when they post it says "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post."  With a link to show the post.  So easy to ignore someone, but easy to quote them if you feel like it.  Best of both worlds., I guess.