[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hot take  (Read 12488 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Hot take
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
Jayce Johnson is better then Theo and Ed. Should be starting instead of spelling them both.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Hot take
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
I think so as well.
Better chance at getting the tip and could delay TJ’s first foul until under 16 potentially.
JJis a better rebounder than both TJ and EM.
I think the staff is easing him back in, I don’t think he’s 💯 yet.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
Far better rebounder, also think he's a much better screener for Howard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
Theo is still the best all around

All 3 struggle on offense.

Theo is more athletic and fluid down low.

Also, I figured it would be hard to ever see myself begging for Theo at the line over another player. But give me Theo shooting when we are in the bonus over Jayce any day of the week.

We need all 3. It was huge that we had 15/15 fouls left entering the second half last night.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
Another vote for Jayce.    I'd say offensively and defensively, none of the three are materially better than the others. 

But Jayce .. has a knack for rebounding.   I'll take that for 28 mins per game.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
Another vote for Jayce.    I'd say offensively and defensively, none of the three are materially better than the others. 

But Jayce .. has a knack for rebounding.   I'll take that for 28 mins per game.
I will stick with Theo. More athletic and a better defender and Free throws.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
Jayce should be starting...one of the best rebounders in the country in his career. Theo fouls too much. Wojo might need to do with him what Buzz did with Davante..bring him off the bench to try to avoid the 2 early fouls.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
Jayce Johnson is better then Theo and Ed. Should be starting instead of spelling them both.

I’ll go with the coaches that see them all play every day.  He’s still coming off injury, may not be in full shape...maybe later they make that change. 

What would Johnny09 say about your hot take?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
Jayce should be starting...one of the best rebounders in the country in his career. Theo fouls too much. Wojo might need to do with him what Buzz did with Davante..bring him off the bench to try to avoid the 2 early fouls.

Theo was not plagued by 2 early fouls in our big game at K-State yesterday. Had an outstanding defensive game most of the night.

I expect little on offense, but I like all 3 of our centers when all are playing well on defense.

I see absolutely no reason for Wojo to change the rotation. He has had a very good feel of how to manage this position over the years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
I'll agree with the OP only in the sense that when his knee is 100%, he probably has the best tip %.  I'll follow that up with starting no matta.  On any given day any one of them could be having a good game and deserve more minutes, it's up to Wojo to figure out who.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:46 AM »
I like that Jayce tries to dunk everything.  Of course, Theo does too, but can't seem to get above the rim without a clear path and a few seconds to do it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »
I don't think it really matters, we're going to get 15/15/10 (minutes) between them - I think about when those minutes fall really depends on match-ups and game situations.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 06:51:27 AM »
I don't think it really matters, we're going to get 15/15/10 (minutes) between them - I think about when those minutes fall really depends on match-ups and game situations.

Agreed. And the preseason idea of 2 bigs in the game at once will be extremely rare. Just cant afford to have two players out there who are not scoring threats.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
All in all, I'm happy with our three-headed center.  Would I like more offense?  Of course.  But I'm not really seeing that as an option.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
It will work itself out and I am guessing Wojo will ride the hot hand that stays out of foul trouble.   A la Bailey and Cain. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »

Fair enough but Buzz was trying to preserve one of the team’s most prolific scorers for later.  If Porky remembers correctly DG averaged over double digits his last two years.  Preserving a great defender is equally important, but since this team doesn’t have a big man that can score consistently (Ed is probably the most capable offensively of our 3 bigs) Porky doesn’t understand why Eddie (who is no slouch on D) isn’t starting over both.  This team needs an inside threat desperately and it seems to Porky that Eddie is that guy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 07:12:51 AM »
Fair enough but Buzz was trying to preserve one of the team’s most prolific scorers for later.  If Porky remembers correctly DG averaged over double digits his last two years.  Preserving a great defender is equally important, but since this team doesn’t have a big man that can score consistently (Ed is probably the most capable offensively of our 3 bigs) Porky doesn’t understand why Eddie (who is no slouch on D) isn’t starting over both.  This team needs an inside threat desperately and it seems to Porky that Eddie is that guy.

To the first part, I think Gardner is being confused with Jae. Erik Williams started over Jae to prevent him from getting early fouls. Chris Otule started over Gardner because DG had a 2-inch vertical and starting Otule gave us a shot at winning the tip.

To the latter, Ed isn't going to win many tips and has been a complete offensive liability because he travels every time he gets the ball. Starting him considering his play this year would be nonsensical.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 07:58:24 AM »
(Ed is probably the most capable offensively of our 3 bigs) Porky doesn’t understand why Eddie (who is no slouch on D) isn’t starting over both.  This team needs an inside threat desperately and it seems to Porky that Eddie is that guy.
Unfortunately, Ed's defense is at the very best spotty, and usually much worse than that.  He is by far the poorest defender of the three bigs.

The idea of playing two bigs always seemed a pipe dream to me.  Jayce is clearly only a 5 on both offense and defense.  Ed's defense hasn't been good at the 5, I see no way he could guard a mobile 4, and despite the reports that he hit a couple of face up jump shots in scrimmages I have yet to see him be effective offensively except at the rim, so there is no way he stretches the defense.  Theo is the most mobile of the bigs but do we want him picking up fouls away from the basket?  His best role is defending the rim, and asking him to play the 4 takes away from that strength.

In short, none of the three bigs can play the 4 IMO.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
Unless a match up dictates, i.e. the opponent playing two bigs at the same time and having success down low. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »
The Theo Slander will not stand.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
Theo and Jayce have both been playing hurt. Neither are 100%. Hard to judge fairly as a result.

Both are solid bigs that bring value. I admit Theo has been a little below expectations thus far but I think his wrist is bothering him more than most know, and this is why he has not been able to go up strong.

Jayce has been a pleasant surprise on the boards.

We will need all three. I don't care who you start, we are going to need between 10-20 minutes each from Theo, Jayce and Ed pretty much every game. Foul trouble and day to day performance will dictate who who gets 10 and who gets 20.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:24:56 AM by Coleman »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
Theo and Jayce have both been playing hurt. Neither are 100%. Hard to judge fairly as a result.

Both are solid bigs that bring value. I admit Theo has been a little below expectations thus far but I think his wrist is bothering him more than most know, and this is why he has not been able to go up strong.

Jayce has been a pleasant surprise on the boards.

We will need all three. I don't care who you start, we are going to need between 10-20 minutes each from Theo, Jayce and Ed pretty much every game. Foul trouble and day to day performance will dictate who who gets 10 and who gets 20.
I didn't realize Theo was hurt.  When did that happen?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
I think minute placement does matter.
I see 3 advantages of starting JJ over TJ.
1. Win the tip.
2. 16 minutes left in the 1st half and Theo has 0 fouls.
3. Better chance to draw a foul on putback or an over the back.

I think #3 has the most potential to be impactful. Most teams don’t have a 3 headed #5. Most teams have a backup #5 and it’s often a big drop off from the starter. To get an early foul on a starting big can be a huge advantage to us.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
I didn't realize Theo was hurt.  When did that happen?

Don't know when it happened, but in Homer's Marquette Basketball Hour this past week, Wojo mentioned Theo's wrist has been bothering him all season and he is not 100%.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:50:52 AM by Coleman »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »
The Theo Slander will not stand.

Thank you