[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mind-blowing Stat  (Read 8331 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Mind-blowing Stat
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »
Kansas State is the first high-major home-and-home sweep for Marquette this century. The last time Marquette accomplished the feat was 1995 & 1996 against Iowa State.

FWIW, Mike Deane was the coach, so one more reason to compare Wojo to Deane instead of guys like Crean or Buzz.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Mind-blowing Stat
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
Does not seem so mind blowing.  MU only plays one or two of these games a year typically.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:42:37 PM »
Well, we beat UW-Madison Campus in both 2017 and 2018 -- I'll take that over any of the others!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
This was a well scheduled home and home. Got K-State at home when they were a top 25 team. Got them on the road when they were more beatable. Two solid resume builders in back to back years
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »
This was a well scheduled home and home. Got K-State at home when they were a top 25 team. Got them on the road when they were more beatable. Two solid resume builders in back to back years

I’m not an expert here but I think Bruce Weber is on the ropes too. I’ve heard he may be done at KSt if they miss the dance, which I think they will.

He is from Milwaukee and loves MU. Rather than taking a head coaching job step down or time off how about senior assistant at MARQUETTE under wojo? My buddies at UofI say he’s a solid Xs and Os so the folks here would be happy. When wojo moves to duke after a ship Weber slides in. The improved recruiting would carry over and wojo would transfer that killer instinct 😂

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 12:21:54 AM »
I’m not an expert here but I think Bruce Weber is on the ropes too. I’ve heard he may be done at KSt if they miss the dance, which I think they will.

He is from Milwaukee and loves MU. Rather than taking a head coaching job step down or time off how about senior assistant at MARQUETTE under wojo? My buddies at UofI say he’s a solid Xs and Os so the folks here would be happy. When wojo moves to duke after a ship Weber slides in. The improved recruiting would carry over and wojo would transfer that killer instinct 😂

If Weber was willing to do that, I'd love him as an assistant. Unless he's looking to move back home and ease into retirement, I don't see that happening. It's a nice thought though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:23:48 AM »

I know much (if not all) of your post is tongue-in-cheek, but I've heard worse ideas.

Of course, it depends on what Weber might want. He probably would be able to get another head-coaching job, especially if he was willing to step back a level -- for example, he had great success at Southern Illinois and has talked about how much he liked his time at that kind of program.

But if he did want a relatively stress-free way to stay in the high majors, make good money and be part of a great program, who knows? He grew up in Milwaukee and was a big Warriors fan.

And your friends are right. He IS a good X-and-O's guy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
I don't think being a high major D1 assistant basketball coach would be "relatively stress free."  At all, really.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
Weber has been a head coach for 22 years. He’s not going back to be an assistant. If anything he’d take a mid major gig somewhere as a last hurrah before retirement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »

Weber has made the NCAA's 5 of 7 years there, including an elite 8 two years ago which earned him a contract extension. (Sweet 16) Only 3 coaches in school history have more 20 win seasons. Only one coach in school history (Jack Hartman) went to 4 straight NCAA's...Weber's success is very similar to Frank Martin and Lon Kruger there. If they miss this year and next year then maybe some changes would be considered but Weber has done pretty well there. They are in a transitional season this year.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »

Yep. UCLA next year which should be fun. Warriors first non tourney game in Southern California in a long time.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »
Weber has been a head coach for 22 years. He’s not going back to be an assistant. If anything he’d take a mid major gig somewhere as a last hurrah before retirement.
Gene Keady went to ST Johns as an assistant after 25 years or so as HC at Purdue. It happens.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »
Gene Keady was 74 when he went to STJ to be an assistant.  Bruce Weber is 63 right now.  I would doubt that Weber is looking to ease into retirement just yet.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
Sultan said he’s not going back be an assistant because he’s been a HC for 22 years, not because of his age.
GK was 69 when he left Purdue.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:16:17 AM by We R Final Four »

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 09:20:27 AM »
Yup, 69 when he left Purdue to go to the NBA as an assistant, then a couple years off and then went to STJ as an assistant at 74.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
Yup, 69 when he left Purdue to go to the NBA as an assistant, then a couple years off and then went to STJ as an assistant at 74.

There was a long personal relationship between Steve Lavin and Keady
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
Gene Keady was one of those guys who looked 74 his whole life. Like Gene Hackman. Maybe it's just that guys named Gene age faster?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 10:12:03 AM »
Yep. UCLA next year which should be fun. Warriors first non tourney game in Southern California in a long time.

Correct.  We played in Anaheim and San Diego for NCAA tournament.  Played in Anaheim for the Wooden tournament in Buzz's last year.  Prior to that, I'm guessing when we played at LMU might have been the last time and that was in the 80's.  We played at Santa Clara in the 90's, but that's central cal, definitely not Southern.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
Gene Keady was 74 when he went to STJ to be an assistant.  Bruce Weber is 63 right now.  I would doubt that Weber is looking to ease into retirement just yet.

Phil Marteli is an assistant on Juwan Howard’s Michigan staff at the age of 65. Great to have that much experience on the bench for a rookie head coach.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
Haven't you heard that Coach K is retiring soon and will become an assistant at Marquette under Wojo.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
Gene Keady was one of those guys who looked 74 his whole life. Like Gene Hackman. Maybe it's just that guys named Gene age faster?

Dare I Dare say it....No.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
Phil Marteli is an assistant on Juwan Howard’s Michigan staff at the age of 65. Great to have that much experience on the bench for a rookie head coach.

Very smart hire IMO.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »
Does not seem so mind blowing.  MU only plays one or two of these games a year typically.

For some added context...here are the home-and-home series included in the period since ISU:

• 1997 & 1998: Dayton (1-1)
  • 1998 & 1998: Boston College (1-1)
  • 1998 & 1999: Baylor (1-1)
  • 1999 & 2000: Dayton (0-2)
  • 1999 & 2000: Minnesota (0-2)
  • 1999 & 2000: Xavier (1-1)
  • 2001 & 2003: Dayton (1-1)
  • 2001 & 2003: Wake Forest (1-1)
  • 2002 & 2003: Notre Dame (1-1)
  • 2003 & 2004: Arizona (0-2)
  • 2004 & 2005: Nebraska (1-1)
  • 2008 & 2009: NC State (1-1)
  • 2010 & 2011: Vanderbilt (0-2)
  • 2011 & 2012: LSU (1-1)
  • 2013 & 2014: Ohio State (0-2)
  • 2013 & 2014: Arizona State (1-1)
  • 2016 & 2017: Georgia (1-1)
Dayton is somewhat questionable, but I figured if I was including Xavier, I should include Dayton, who was in the A-10 with them. And besides...we never managed to sweep any of those multiple Dayton series anyway. That's 17 straight series with at least one loss between Iowa State and K-State. For a program of our prestige, you'd figure we'd at least sweep one, especially with such mundane names as (1990s era) Baylor, Nebraska, LSU, ASU, and Georgia in there.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »
Well, we beat UW-Madison Campus in both 2017 and 2018 -- I'll take that over any of the others!

This

Every year a high major "home/home" series against Bucky.  Won that last year.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
I remember that NC State loss was super frustrating.

feedback