'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Koby’s frustration, Cain’s 6th sense and other MU notes  (Read 6662 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Koby's stats the last 5 games are shockingly bad, so he's obviously pressing. I get it, but still didn't like to see the tantrums in what was already a blowout. 

https://painttouches.com/2019/12/05/kobys-frustration-cains-6th-sense-and-other-mu-notes/

jsglow

• All American
Spot. On.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Mcewen has been outrageously horrible.  Not sure why he does it but he doesnt finish his drives, he jump stops or stops in the middle of the lane and then travels or pivots to try to find someone to bail him out.  His shot seems broke, his misses are not even close.
On the two plays on the video its hard to tell if hes just frustrated with himself or others.  On the inbounds pass if hes frustrated with Bailey i cant imagine why, on that play like a grade schooler he thru it at Baileys ankles.  On the rebound n turnover he shouldnt be mad at Bailey either, we want multiple guys going for boards.  Then the ball gets poked away, maybe he thought he got fouled.  Either way his head needs to get squared away before he is gonna be successful on the court.  He is an integral part to any success MU enjoys this year.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:05:05 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
Mcewen has been outrageously horrible.  Not sure why he does it but he doesnt finish his drives, he jump stops or stops in the middle of the lane and then travels or pivots to try to find someone to bail him out.  His shot seems broke, his misses are not even close.
On the two plays on the video its hard to tell if hes just frustrated with himself or others.  On the inbounds pass if hes frustrated with Bailey i cant imagine why, on that play like a grade schooler he thru it at Baileys ankles.  On the rebound n turnover he shouldnt be mad at Bailey either, we want multiple guys going for boards.  Then the ball gets poked away, maybe he thought he got fouled.  Either way his head needs to get squared away before he is gonna be successful on the court.  He is an integral part to any success MU enjoys this year.

This can be a valuable skill. For example, every Villanova guard ever. Agree with the rest.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
IMO, once Koby found out Markus was a no-go last night, he wanted to step up and fill that void, especially after a bad Orlando tournament. However, he got into his own head to do too much. Just needs to let the game come to him a la the Purdue game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
IMO, once Koby found out Markus was a no-go last night, he wanted to step up and fill that void, especially after a bad Orlando tournament. However, he got into his own head to do too much. Just needs to let the game come to him a la the Purdue game.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
Koby is no doubt pressing.  He's a better player than how he's played these past five games.  Just can't get into a rhythm.

Was thrilled to see Wojo let Cain play virtually uninterrupted the whole second half.  Hope this continues.  He's tightened his handle from last year, and could be a key cog for us going forward.  I love the idea of actually playing he and Bailey together - their length on the wing is especially helpful defensively.

jsglow

• All American

This. Just let the game come to you.

I know ARodg has an expression for it.

DoctorV

• All American
Rough stretch for Koby. However, he is a very good defensive guard and very good rebounding guard and that will serve both him and the team very well in BE play.

At the end of the day all Marquette’s reach equilibrium- Koby won’t be as good as he was versus Purdue and nowhere as bad as he’s been in the last 5 games offensively. He will be somewhere in the middle, hopefully on the better side JD the spectrum.

As we have seen Sacar regain form after a very poor start so we will see Koby do the same. I think he won’t ever be as efficient as Markus or Sacar but he needs to continue to be aggressive and get himself out of the funk.

By the time this season reaches the middle of conference play I am convinced we need to see 50 per night offensively from the 3 guards- Sacar plus Koby need to add up somewhere around 25-30 pts nightly with MARKUS in the 25 range for the team to reach its peak. Along with that we will get the occasional offensive outburst from Bailey/Cain/Elliot and a combo of the bigs to make this team more elite. Not really certain why but I’m confident it’ll happen

jsglow

• All American
To Wojo's credit,  he's altered Cain's role and is allowing him to do what he does best.  I very much liked seeing both he and Bailey together last night.

jsglow

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Koby’s frustration, Cain’s 6th sense and other MU notes
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »
I also want to say something about Sy. Plenty to improve on D but the kid has a knack for the pass. On time. On target. Gotta love the potential.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
Koby is no doubt pressing.  He's a better player than how he's played these past five games.  Just can't get into a rhythm.

Was thrilled to see Wojo let Cain play virtually uninterrupted the whole second half.  Hope this continues.  He's tightened his handle from last year, and could be a key cog for us going forward.  I love the idea of actually playing he and Bailey together - their length on the wing is especially helpful defensively.

Not sure he has tightened his handle as much as he's being asked to handle the ball less. His role at the 4 allows him to spot up, cut off ball and dribble 1-2 times into a mid-range jumper. He is capable of all those things but last year the 4 was blocked by Sam and Joey so he had to play slightly out of position and it hurt him a lot.

He has provided some really good minutes and is excelling on defense and the boards. Glad to see it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
As pux said in the OP, the tantrums are not a good look.

While I understand that he's frustrated, it concerns me because we may be looking at him as a team leader next season. Hope he can tone it down and play with better control.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
This can be a valuable skill. For example, every Villanova guard ever. Agree with the rest.
Agreed except for the throwing the ball away or traveling part.  He doesnt seem to go in with a purpose nor does he land low and wide with a powerful base, he lands with a high center of gravity and ends up with poor balance.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »
I can see that for sure. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
I also want to say something about Sy. Plenty to improve on D but the kid has a knack for the pass. On time. On target. Gotta love the potential.
His pass to bailey for baileys first 3 make was a thing of beauty.  symir caught the ball and moved it like a hot potato(e) not only did he move it extremely quickly but it was 100% on time and on target where bailey caught it in rhythm and stroked it.  Just a small thing that was very encouraging to see

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »

Sy puts the ball where others can make a play with it. He’s getting there and will be very good. It would have been nice to see him get more minutes but his fouls got in the way. Hopefully some extended runs will get him used to the game speed and reduce the fouls.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »

I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
To Wojo's credit,  he's altered Cain's role and is allowing him to do what he does best.  I very much liked seeing both he and Bailey together last night.

I am not a Wojo fan but this post is absolutely true.  Wojo deserves a lot of credit for altering the way Cain is used.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »
His pass to bailey for baileys first 3 make was a thing of beauty.  symir caught the ball and moved it like a hot potato(e) not only did he move it extremely quickly but it was 100% on time and on target where bailey caught it in rhythm and stroked it.  Just a small thing that was very encouraging to see

At also has a very simple stroke on his 3’s.

I think he will become a very good shooter when they leave him open.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
Not sure he has tightened his handle as much as he's being asked to handle the ball less. His role at the 4 allows him to spot up, cut off ball and dribble 1-2 times into a mid-range jumper. He is capable of all those things but last year the 4 was blocked by Sam and Joey so he had to play slightly out of position and it hurt him a lot.

He has provided some really good minutes and is excelling on defense and the boards. Glad to see it.

This is the key with Cain. Simplify the offense and let him spot up, cut, or crash every possession. He's got as many "Cut" possessions this year as all of last year, and that doesn't happen if he's being forced into the 2 or 3.

But where I see the biggest difference is defensively. He ended the year ok at .853 PPP last season, but it was mostly against poor opposition or with the game decided. This season, he's only giving up .444 PPP, and that's in "real" game time. He's defended 45 possessions already, compared to 75 in 2019. The defense is about 5 ADJ points better per 100 possessions with him on the court (85.2 v 90.8). Last year, it was 2 ADJ points worse with him on than off (97.5 v 95.6).

Basically, the math matches what just about everyone has seen with their eyes this year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »

Totally - best passer yet under the Wojo regime, both in terms of technical skills and in finding guys in spots that make sense. I'm excited to see his role develop over the course of this year and the next few.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
As pux said in the OP, the tantrums are not a good look.

While I understand that he's frustrated, it concerns me because we may be looking at him as a team leader next season. Hope he can tone it down and play with better control.

Emotional players can be a ton of fun to watch and to play with. Sometimes you take a little bad with the good if the majority of the emotion is positive. Rowsey is a good example. At times he was a little too emotional on the negative side, but his energy was definitely key to some successful runs/games.

If Koby's play improves and he remains a more emotional guy on the floor, I think we'll all love seeing that side of him. I do agree that as an upperclassmen, he should make an effort to rein in his frustrations on the floor. But if that's part of his personality, it's easier said than done. I'm hoping he finds his groove and turns a corner soon and that this is all a distant memory by February.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
At also has a very simple stroke on his 3’s.

I think he will become a very good shooter when they leave him open.
wonder how it would work with Sy and Markus at the G, cain and Baileu at the F, and theo at C

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »
Emotional players can be a ton of fun to watch and to play with. Sometimes you take a little bad with the good if the majority of the emotion is positive. Rowsey is a good example. At times he was a little too emotional on the negative side, but his energy was definitely key to some successful runs/games.

If Koby's play improves and he remains a more emotional guy on the floor, I think we'll all love seeing that side of him. I do agree that as an upperclassmen, he should make an effort to rein in his frustrations on the floor. But if that's part of his personality, it's easier said than done. I'm hoping he finds his groove and turns a corner soon and that this is all a distant memory by February.

Agreed, and Rowsey is a good example. Another is Travis Diener. Fortunately, Diener had an uncanny knack for playing some of his best games when he was fired up or angry.

Like you said, it would be great if Koby can show that positive side of his emotions. Fingers crossed.