[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jayce Johnson  (Read 14977 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Jayce Johnson
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
It's just a one game sample, but one thing I liked from Jayce today was the way he used his fouls. I don't think any baskets were made on his shooting fouls today. Knowing when to foul hard enough to prevent a decent shot is an underappreciated skill in my opinion.

Great point. I thought the same thing watching him today.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 06:49:47 PM »
Theo needs to learn to get his shot up quicker like Davante did.  He is a below the rim player who can’t dunk in traffic.  Too easy to block.

Smoove was a near elite offensive post player. Theo isn't even remotely in his class. Getting his shot up quicker (to the extent that he has a shot) might just make him hurry and miss even more.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »
When I saw Jayce in the open practices prior to his injury....he played just like he did today. An absolute beast on both ends of the glass. Very good positioning. Fighting each position.
Hope to see more of JJ and less of Ed.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2019, 09:08:17 PM »
When I saw Jayce in the open practices prior to his injury....he played just like he did today. An absolute beast on both ends of the glass. Very good positioning. Fighting each position.
Hope to see more of JJ and less of Ed.

Did Jayce resemble Brett "The Beast" Roseboro in open practices?  What could have been if the original beast didn't transfer out on Brent "Buzz" Williams.

That aside, Jayce played hard today and was quite effective.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 09:17:18 PM »
Smoove was a near elite offensive post player. Theo isn't even remotely in his class. Getting his shot up quicker (to the extent that he has a shot) might just make him hurry and miss even more.

There’s truth in what you are saying.  No easy answers.  Just thought if he didn’t gather to dunk off two feet and instead laid it immediately off the glass he may have had a chance.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
Did Jayce resemble Brett "The Beast" Roseboro in open practices?  What could have been if the original beast didn't transfer out on Brent "Buzz" Williams.

That aside, Jayce played hard today and was quite effective.
Are you drunk?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »
Are you drunk?

No.  He's Ners, the professional Rec Center dunker.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
Are you drunk?

Yes.  TOTALLY wasted. I'll see what I can do to sober up and never again bring up Brett "The Beast" Roseboro.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
No.  He's Ners, the professional Rec Center dunker.

Wait ... Ners dunked? I wish he would have told us!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »
Yes.  TOTALLY wasted. I'll see what I can do to sober up and never again bring up Brett "The Beast" Roseboro.

You still enjoying Texas?  Heading down in February, we should catch a game.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 09:29:58 AM »
Jayce had excellent positioning and timing on both ends.  He is able to get into position wall up on defense to contest without fouling and then anticipate where a rebound will go and control that area.  Offensively he only shoots when he has a positional advantage and uses fakes and his length to avoid getting blocked.  Davante was an absolute master at this (although not nearly as good on defense).  Luke also had very good technique and footwork.

Some of these things are not easily taught but it's so frustrating that Theo and Ed still can't seem to grasp these concepts.  They lean into the body when contesting a shot to commit weak fouls, Ed seems rely on obvious arm hooks in the post, Theo's indecisiveness with the ball creates travels and poor timing to let the defender gain an advantage even when Theo has a superior position.  In theory it's nice that Markus tries to share the ball and get them involved, but honestly we're better off having him create for himself or going into the post just to get the defense to sag enough to get an open shot from the perimeter.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
Ed pivots and the travels an amazingly high percentage if the time.  He is giving up 7” to Jayce.
Clearly only one game but in that one game Jayce demonstrated abilities that Theo and Ed never have.  Thing i prolly like the most about Jayce is his hands, he envelopes and squeezes the ball with his hands.  Ed and theo bobble n fumble a maddening percentage of the few rebounds they actually get.  Theo looks big and bad, but give me someone who looks like a choir boy and can give us more than 2-3 rebounds a game.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
The kid is an old school rebounder and I like that. While still early in the year, I am afraid that he is going to be a foul machine if he gets more minutes. That said, I would play him more minutes than I would give Ed/Theo combined. He looks like he may be the guy to give MU more chances to be competitive against better competition. The other two big guys do not bring much to the table. I expected little from John, but Ed is disappointment to me.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
The kid is an old school rebounder and I like that. While still early in the year, I am afraid that he is going to be a foul machine if he gets more minutes. That said, I would play him more minutes than I would give Ed/Theo combined. He looks like he may be the guy to give MU more chances to be competitive against better competition. The other two big guys do not bring much to the table. I expected little from John, but Ed is disappointment to me.

So because Theo isn't a prolific scorer he "doesn't bring much to the table"?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
EFR

I do not think Theo has a great deal of basketball skills and is a marginal contributor. At this point, I would play Johnson until he got in foul trouble, followed by Ed and then Theo. Lack of scoring is far from top of list of things Theo would need to work on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »

Don't let the fact that he was the leading shot-blocker in the entire conference last year, that his mere presence changed countless shots above and beyond his blocks, that he is on a similar shot-blocking pace this season, and that he averaged 10 reb/40 mins last season fool you. Some Scoopers have deemed him useless, so that's the final word.

Doesn't matter that folks beyotched about our defense for 3+ years and now Theo is part of the reason it's significantly better. He's useless.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »

He is averaging 3.9 rebounds a game this season and not on pace for 10 reb/40 mins. He averages half as many turnovers as blocked shots and cannot finish a basket within two feet from the hoop against tough competition. As for helping make our D better, give me a break. He is the same player, at best, as last year. What role is he filling this year over last year? Likely, only more minutes on the bench.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2019, 01:24:36 PM »
EFR

I do not think Theo has a great deal of basketball skills and is a marginal contributor. At this point, I would play Johnson until he got in foul trouble, followed by Ed and then Theo. Lack of scoring is far from top of list of things Theo would need to work on.

I'm on board for Jayce starting to get more minutes, but play Ed over Theo? We must be watching entirely different games. Like I legitimately don't understand how anyone can come to that conclusion by watching the same games I have.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »
Don't let the fact that he was the leading shot-blocker in the entire conference last year, that his mere presence changed countless shots above and beyond his blocks, that he is on a similar shot-blocking pace this season, and that he averaged 10 reb/40 mins last season fool you. Some Scoopers have deemed him useless, so that's the final word.

Doesn't matter that folks beyotched about our defense for 3+ years and now Theo is part of the reason it's significantly better. He's useless.

What he said

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
Limited stat, but Theo has the best +/- on the team as well. Ed has the worst.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
I'm on board for Jayce starting to get more minutes, but play Ed over Theo? We must be watching entirely different games. Like I legitimately don't understand how anyone can come to that conclusion by watching the same games I have.

This. Ed has more turnovers than made field goals on the season. That’s almost unbelievable.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
One thing i notice with ed when he gets the ball in the post is that he never has good position, he's always too far out, if he got good position he wouldn't have to put the ball on the ground to travel

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »

He is averaging 3.9 rebounds a game this season and not on pace for 10 reb/40 mins. He averages half as many turnovers as blocked shots and cannot finish a basket within two feet from the hoop against tough competition. As for helping make our D better, give me a break. He is the same player, at best, as last year. What role is he filling this year over last year? Likely, only more minutes on the bench.

Goose

I said, "he averaged 10 reb/40 mins last season." His pace is not as good this season, only 8 reb/40 min, and I didn't claim otherwise.

Every other stat I gave was correct, too, including that he led an entire Power-6 conference in shot-blocking as a sophomore and has the same average so far this year.

He is a poor offensive player. I wish he would have improved at that part of the game. It hurts our offense that he hasn't. And Ed is no better.

But if you don't think having the Big East's leading shot-blocker on the floor is helpful for our defense ... well, to quote a wise man ... give me a break.

As for Jayce, I have said many times that I am encouraged by what he did yesterday. It's nonetheless been interesting to see so many folks who caution against jumping to conclusions based on one or two games are now 100% certain that he is the best big we have. After one 20-minute performance!

I hope that was a sampling of what we'll get from Jayce every game. If so, I agree that he soon will unquestionably be our best big and will deserve the lion's share of the minutes.

Given that Wojo has shown that he's willing to make major moves at the position -- for example, starting Heldt over Luke a couple years back, and then just about never playing Heldt (a kid he obviously loved) the following season -- I have no doubt he would do the same in 2019-20.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2019, 02:00:12 PM »

Apart from blocked shots, which i consider to be fools gold, id say the answer is no.  Bad hands, foul prone, very little offensively, doesnt rebound.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback