Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Maryland Game Thread  (Read 19422 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Maryland Game Thread
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »
In fairness, he had really struggled before today. This is his career best game by a mile, so not exactly evidence of who he'll be game in and game out. He's probably going to start showing up more prominently in the scouting report now too. We can't expect this from him regularly, but it is nice to see what he's capable of when he's hot. And hopefully this gives him the confidence to build off of moving forward.

We also have people calling for Koby to be benched right now, despite him carrying us to the Purdue win too. It's the same situation, just reversed. Judging guys based on the best or worst games isn't really the way to go.

I'll take coaches seeing them every day in practice over message board jockeys that see them play a few times.  It's also one thing to struggle with a shot, another to not play with effort.  The guys were playing with effort, shots weren't falling.  That's a big difference in my opinion.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
Needed to switch to a 2-3 10 possesions ago, wojo didnt counter turgeons zone offense adjustment
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
Interesting to see the defensive game plan change for Maryland towards the end. Now face guarding both Howard and Bailey (like they used to guard Howard and Hauser), and daring anyone else to score.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
I’m afraid this will be an L but a lot a good things are coming out of it.

BB- confidence
Jayce- the best big, by far
Sacar- can get a bucket whenever he wants
Zone- works

As for the zone. Solid response by MD and they are abusing it down the stretch.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
I'm not blaming Wojo for this at all, but sometimes i wish he was quicker to recognize and adjust things in a game(like going to zone sooner) could have made a difference today. Pissed of all days Maryland decides to show up today..lackadaisical all tournament, and had MU gotten that same Maryland team, I think they win.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
It's so weird how Markus can be so hot and cold. I wonder how many guys go from scoring 40-50 to then drop down and only hit 1 or 2 FGs right after?

Their defense was great.  They made him work his tail off, that burns his legs in my opinion.  Fortunately not many of our opponents will have the length and athleticism to do that to him the rest of the way...some will, but not many.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
It's so weird how Markus can be so hot and cold. I wonder how many guys go from scoring 40-50 to then drop down and only hit 1 or 2 FGs right after?

I’m afraid it’s fools gold

Not disqualifying markus’s great performances this season so far.  The competition has been average to below average.  Maryland appears to be a legit top 10 team and I believe Markus has had a difficult time against long, athletic teams most of his career.

I’m interested to see Markus’s output during the middle to end of Big East play this year.

Exactly why in the “top 10 players of all time” thread I cannot put MH in my top 10 list. 

Great scorer, great representative for MU, and I’m glad we have him.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
Best players always have an off game, but it shows what can happen when an athletic, tall guard plays defense against Markus.  That happened today with Wiggins and Morsell all over him.

Maryland played great, has at least two, maybe three draft picks on the team.  If Bruno Fernando had stayed, they would have really been good this year. 

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Yikes, Maryland seemed to get every open shot they wanted, seemed like things weren’t going to go MU’s way when John was missing point blank shots early in the game.  Howard having an off night obviously didn’t help either.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
I'll take coaches seeing them every day in practice over message board jockeys that see them play a few times.  It's also one thing to struggle with a shot, another to not play with effort.  The guys were playing with effort, shots weren't falling.  That's a big difference in my opinion.

This take is basically saying fans have no business ever questioning coaching decisions. Which is a big reach. Coaches make mistakes, and fans will always be talking about the what ifs based on potential coaching changes.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
gonna be a long year and next year too.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »

You were awfully quiet after the last two games
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »
This take is basically saying fans have no business ever questioning coaching decisions. Which is a big reach. Coaches make mistakes, and fans will always be talking about the what ifs based on potential coaching changes.

It's basically saying fans can have any takes they want, but they aren't worth a whole bunch (I include my own takes on that).  Coaches make mistakes, everyone is human....but they do this stuff for a living and have more knowledge about how good players are, what their strengths and weaknesses are than anyone here in my opinion.

Based on today's result, I'm shocked I haven't seen some brilliance from some of our fans demanding Markus get benched....but it's early still, maybe someone will come up with that gem.   :D

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »

Very true...next year is leap year...366 days.  This year's long year of 365 days is long...365 days long.

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »
Big game Markus showed up

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
Which is why we should trust what the coaches see in practice every day

You did that for 9 years...then didn't for 6...and have been doing it again for 5+...strange.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2019, 11:27:18 PM »
You did that for 9 years...then didn't for 6...and have been doing it again for 5+...strange.

Really, I seem to recall being mostly fine with the lineups on the court...it was the ones punching students, sexually assaulting coeds, being cited by MPD, getting into fights where I disagreed. 

On the court, mostly ok with the lineups, definitely needed more shooters, however.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »
Really, I seem to recall being mostly fine with the lineups on the court...it was the ones punching students, sexually assaulting coeds, being cited by MPD, getting into fights where I disagreed. 

On the court, mostly ok with the lineups, definitely needed more shooters, however.

Choking dogs peeing down legs, team doesn't show any effort, great comeback wins are luck/result of other team choking, etc, etc, etc. From the time he arrived you belittled everything about Buzz's program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »
Choking dogs peeing down legs, team doesn't show any effort, great comeback wins are luck/result of other team choking, etc, etc, etc. From the time he arrived you belittled everything about Buzz's program.

This is true.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
Dakich sounds likes Dan McNeil on meth.

Spit out my coffee. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »

I can provide countless examples to prove you wrong, including saying he should be coach of the year often...but we get it it that your messiah was taken to task by some of us for his antics, lack of institutional control, etc and you don’t like it.  Too bad.

The other team did choke, and I provided media examples, their own fans, etc.  If we had done that, ND or Wisconsin, you would say choke....sorry your hypocrisy on that one was exposed.  Too bad.  Was I belittling MU's program when we barely beat Holy Cross...or just stating the truth?  GMAFB
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:10:48 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
I hope Dawson Garcia is watching.

Dawson watching IU at Wisconsin today?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Best players always have an off game, but it shows what can happen when an athletic, tall guard plays defense against Markus.  That happened today with Wiggins and Morsell all over him.

Maryland played great, has at least two, maybe three draft picks on the team.  If Bruno Fernando had stayed, they would have really been good this year.
This is why Markus will not play in NBA.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
This is why Markus will not play in NBA.

Fortunately for Markus the NBA doesn’t play much defense for large portions of the game.