[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Let Them Play  (Read 8057 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Let Them Play
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 09:33:08 PM »
I don't know, Howard has 32 FTA in two games and leads the country in fouls drawn/40 minutes. We literally have the single best player in the country to take advantage of over-officiated games.

Embarrassing officiating. My dog knew this game was over at half. As a ref, you need to understand the flow of the game. 58 fouls called, 69 free throws, 4 technicals. Let the players play. Even James Breeding would have looked good with this clown show, two of these refs MU got in Game 1. USC got the 2nd half make ups, down 30 because Andy whined.  Horrid

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
Every. Freakin. Year.

Seriously, let’s give the “too many whistles” thing a rest until ten games in.  The refs have been instructed to follow certain points of emphasis, and it’s going to take a while for the players to come around. 

FFS, after the first flop by Davidson yesterday, there’s no reason for the other two to have happened except force of habit... which is exactly what the points of emphasis are trying to break. 

If you don’t like the whistles, maybe UFC or some other “forget about the rules and let’s just beat the shiite out of each other” game is more your cup of tea Mtn. Dew.

benny-why such a change as the season goes on, especially the tournaments?  it's the same game, same players, same rules
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »
Embarrassing officiating. My dog knew this game was over at half. As a ref, you need to understand the flow of the game. 58 fouls called, 69 free throws, 4 technicals. Let the players play. Even James Breeding would have looked good with this clown show, two of these refs MU got in Game 1. USC got the 2nd half make ups, down 30 because Andy whined.  Horrid

markus didn't seem to get the same calls earlier in the season.  he was getting the chit knocked outta him driving the lane without the call

agree with your analysis however doc

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »
It’s been a refshow with unnecessary Ts, countless flop calls, and yesterday when the ref started the five count before Davidson was ready.

And that’s not even mentioning both teams just shy of the bonus at the 16 minute timeout.

The thing I hate the most is when a ref tells a celebrating bench to sit down. I didn’t see any of that at least.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
It’s been a refshow with unnecessary Ts, countless flop calls, and yesterday when the ref started the five count before Davidson was ready.

And that’s not even mentioning both teams just shy of the bonus at the 16 minute timeout.

The thing I hate the most is when a ref tells a celebrating bench to sit down. I didn’t see any of that at least.

The bench warning happened numerous times the past two days. Maybe not shown on TV.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
The bench warning happened numerous times the past two days. Maybe not shown on TV.

what are the players supposed to do?  stay seated, clap like they're at the opera?  some of the best stuff is watching the guys at the end of the bench go thru their choreographed routines-hilarious!  check out monmouth-the dead fish, flexin, the human hoop, the human scissors...those guys are worth the price of admission right there-ya gotta see this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIy0eLodpls

these guys are more famous than their team's play on the floor

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/8-of-monmouth-basketballs-brilliant-bench-celebrations-ranked

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »

Oh could be. I didn’t see it on TV if it did make it on.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 12:44:32 AM »
Embarrassing officiating.

I don't disagree. Just saying if you're going to play a game with refs like that, Markus goes from great player to best player in the country pretty darn quick.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 02:21:29 AM »
Either:
A) ESPN overpaid these refs for being away from home during the holiday and the refs are doing their best to pay it back
-or-
B) the sh1tshow that is NCAA officiating has gotten worse again this year

In fact, ESPN should be the one complaining and doing everything they can to get the refs to swallow a few whistles.   The over-called games take too long and are very boring TV.   I turned it off after Markus was subbed out at the 5 minute mark.   I’m sure many others did as well.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »
Can we blame Wisconsin for the flop rule?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 07:01:54 AM »
Can we blame Wisconsin for the flop rule?

I like this.

I’m actually going to start calling it the Wisconsin rule.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 07:13:57 AM »
Every. Freakin. Year.

Seriously, let’s give the “too many whistles” thing a rest until ten games in.  The refs have been instructed to follow certain points of emphasis, and it’s going to take a while for the players to come around. 

FFS, after the first flop by Davidson yesterday, there’s no reason for the other two to have happened except force of habit... which is exactly what the points of emphasis are trying to break. 

If you don’t like the whistles, maybe UFC or some other “forget about the rules and let’s just beat the shiite out of each other” game is more your cup of tea Mtn. Dew. 

I'm not giving it a rest because it makes early season games unwatchable. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
I like this.

I’m actually going to start calling it the Wisconsin rule.
That or specifically the Davidson Rule. I’m fine either way

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2019, 08:25:46 AM »
I was longing for the days of Jim Burr.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
You bite your tongue Glow!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »

I'm not giving it a rest because it makes early season games unwatchable.

Would you rather the entire season be unwatchable?  There are a few hundred referees in D-I all officiating a varying amount of games throughout the season.  You never know who you’re going to get and when.  The less you enforce points of emphasis universally early in the season, the more inconsistent the enforcement the remainder of the year as these officials get into conference play (and these inconsistencies become provincial and entrenched within the conferences’ respective “culture”). 

Go back and look at the NCAAT threads since Scoop was born.... I’d bet dollars to donuts that every year in the first round someone has said something along the lines of officials from another conference calling the game differently. 

Personally, I don’t like MU getting “[insert name of conference other than BE]” officials for the first time in 3 months in mid-March because of inconsistencies in enforcement.  And evidently, the NCAA doesn’t like it much either as evidenced by the hard pivot to these points of emphasis early in the season over the last decade.

These kids are a lot smarter than many give credit.  They adapt a heck of a lot better to rule changes than many of us would at our age.  Because what most all y’all are chalking up to “bad officiating” actually has more to do with bad coaching, bad preparation, and/or bad play.  But sure, blame the refs because you don’t want to hold your own team accountable... I’m just glad Wojo doesn’t feel the same way. 

But listen, some people just like to complain.  I get it.  But if you’re going to complain about officiating, either do it in February when there’s no excuse for it or at least put some blame on the players or coaches.  If you want to complain about the rules, go write a letter to Huggy Bear (who’s on the committee) because it just looks silly to complain about the officials who are merely enforcing said rules.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
The point is the points of emphasis are ridiculous.  The NCAA's obsession with calling every tiny bit of contact this time of year is really making it hard to watch.

And thanks for the advice.  I'll complain when I want to complain.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
Would you rather the entire season be unwatchable?  There are a few hundred referees in D-I all officiating a varying amount of games throughout the season.  You never know who you’re going to get and when.  The less you enforce points of emphasis universally early in the season, the more inconsistent the enforcement the remainder of the year as these officials get into conference play (and these inconsistencies become provincial and entrenched within the conferences’ respective “culture”). 

Go back and look at the NCAAT threads since Scoop was born.... I’d bet dollars to donuts that every year in the first round someone has said something along the lines of officials from another conference calling the game differently. 

Personally, I don’t like MU getting “[insert name of conference other than BE]” officials for the first time in 3 months in mid-March because of inconsistencies in enforcement.  And evidently, the NCAA doesn’t like it much either as evidenced by the hard pivot to these points of emphasis early in the season over the last decade.

These kids are a lot smarter than many give credit.  They adapt a heck of a lot better to rule changes than many of us would at our age.  Because what most all y’all are chalking up to “bad officiating” actually has more to do with bad coaching, bad preparation, and/or bad play.  But sure, blame the refs because you don’t want to hold your own team accountable... I’m just glad Wojo doesn’t feel the same way. 

But listen, some people just like to complain.  I get it.  But if you’re going to complain about officiating, either do it in February when there’s no excuse for it or at least put some blame on the players or coaches.  If you want to complain about the rules, go write a letter to Huggy Bear (who’s on the committee) because it just looks silly to complain about the officials who are merely enforcing said rules.

Just watched the last 5 mins of the Georgetown-UNCG game. Refs mostly had a "let them play" mentality, certainly didn't call a foul every time somebody breathed. They called just about all the difference-making stuff, though I did think they let a little contact go that maybe should have been called. Personally, as a fan, I do prefer that kind of officiating.

So maybe the crew that worked the Georgetown game didn't get the memo?

As a player (or a coach), such significant difference between the way the Georgetown game was called and the way ours was called would be tough to go from one to the other. Having said that, it will be up to Georgetown to adjust if next time they get the tighter brand of reffing like we just had.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »
Just watched the last 5 mins of the Georgetown-UNCG game. Refs mostly had a "let them play" mentality, certainly didn't call a foul every time somebody breathed. They called just about all the difference-making stuff, though I did think they let a little contact go that maybe should have been called. Personally, as a fan, I do prefer that kind of officiating.

So maybe the crew that worked the Georgetown game didn't get the memo?

As a player (or a coach), such significant difference between the way the Georgetown game was called and the way ours was called would be tough to go from one to the other. Having said that, it will be up to Georgetown to adjust if next time they get the tighter brand of reffing like we just had.

you only know how they called the last 5 minutes.  probably the way they should, but the other 35 minutes?  i havent checked a box score, but maybe the refs wanted to getto happy hour or something

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »

you only know how they called the last 5 minutes.  probably the way they should, but the other 35 minutes?  i havent checked a box score, but maybe the refs wanted to getto happy hour or something

Correct, I don't know. And even the boxscore won't tell me.

But I do know that, even on its final possession, UNCG was not yet in the double-bonus, meaning fewer than 10 fouls had been called all half on Georgetown -- and that includes 2-3 fouls at the end when GT was fouling on purpose.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
Bump. If we’re going to have a whistle every 30 seconds can we at least get the game moving between the whistles? Not have minute long stoppages 8 times a half? Brutally slow, especially this second half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Bump. If we’re going to have a whistle every 30 seconds can we at least get the game moving between the whistles? Not have minute long stoppages 8 times a half? Brutally slow, especially this second half.

Extremely tough whistle tonight against MU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Extremely tough whistle tonight against MU.

Thought we benefitted first half. Think KSU has gotten some calls second half. But this foul on one end, go to the line, foul rebounding the free throw, walk to the other end and shoot free throws is brutal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
Awful announcing team -- think it was a K State scrimmage

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 10:34:43 PM »
Who doesn’t like watching the nation’s best college athletes walk slowly from free throw line to free throw line?