'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:15:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Garcia Announcement  (Read 25809 times)

bradforster

• All American
Garcia Announcement
« on: November 18, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:14:29 PM by bradforster »

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Garcia Announcement
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
I'll be shocked if it's Minnesota. But I've been shocked before.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!

Honestly, if it isn't Marquette I would be predicting Minny. He seems really jazzed about the idea of being the hometown hero
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
This kid can be program changing for us

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »

Seen him a lot?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »
Seen him a lot?

So, like you’ve talked to his dad and stuff, eh?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »

I do agree. Seems like a program changer for sure.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:18:30 AM by Markusquette »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »
I hope he comes. He'll have an adoring fan base, a great tradition and a tremendous university education.

But as Al once said: "Son, we will win with you. We will win without you."

If he does not come, there always will be Plan "B."

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
The form of the announcement, streaming etc has changed so much during my "tenure" as a fan that it's hard to believe. I remember when Maurice Lucas signed, it was just a squib in the paper about someone that I'd never heard of before. Such is life.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
I hope he comes. He'll have an adoring fan base, a great tradition and a tremendous university education.

But as Al once said: "Son, we will win with you. We will win without you."

If he does not come, there always will be Plan "B."

Brother d,

You're one of the few who recall the glory days and hope for at least a semblance of their return. We won't get there with plan "Bs" unless the players we recruit are as good as the guys who were plan "A". Pretty sure the back up plan to Garcia won't result in a player of his level. No worries, though. We've got this one.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
Brother d,

You're one of the few who recall the glory days and hope for at least a semblance of their return. We won't get there with plan "Bs" unless the players we recruit are as good as the guys who were plan "A". Pretty sure the back up plan to Garcia won't result in a player of his level. No worries, though. We've got this one.

Thank you Brother Lenny.

I hope you are right -- we have this one. He'd be a true Warrior in the Bo Ellis, Maurice Lucas mode. A huge get for Wojo and will get a lot of us off Wojo's back.

But it is a sad state of affairs if our whole future is based on the recruitment of one athlete. We went down this road with Henry Ellenson and look where that got us.

I want us to win like we once did. I say, meaningfully, Make Marquette Feared Again! I mean that. I remember the days when people saw us and were afraid of us. We were tough, played hard defense and were vocal. The aura of the basketball team -- arrogant and obnoxious -- filtered into the entire university. Our swagger was the best in the nation.

We can be that again -- if we want to be.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 08:26:55 AM »
There is a small all-boys high school in Chicago that serves at-risk youth.

They do a hat ceremony for every senior boy where he announces what college he will be attending. They believe that an academic scholarship should be just as big of a deal as an athletic scholarship (and most of them end up getting full, or close to full scholarships).  It's very cool.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
Our future is NOT contingent on Garcia.    There are already two top 100 forwards signed for next year.    Wojo is the leader for Mane.    He is in on a number of recruits in future classes, 'fishing in the right pools.'        Garcia will be an excellent get and the idea of a Garcia, Osa, Lewis front line makes me salivate.     But the program is not in some sort of death spiral.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
There is a small all-boys high school in Chicago that serves at-risk youth.

They do a hat ceremony for every senior boy where he announces what college he will be attending. They believe that an academic scholarship should be just as big of a deal as an athletic scholarship (and most of them end up getting full, or close to full scholarships).  It's very cool.

One of the best days of the year at another such school (Christ the King, a Cristo Rey Jesuit college prep school in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago) is college announcement day.  Everyone crosses the stage in a sweatshirt or t-shirt from their chosen school, to much joy and acclamation.

“Hello, I’m Donovan and I’m going to set the world on fire at Morehouse College this fall!”

“My name is Jordan, and this fall I will be setting the world on fire at Howard University!”

“My name is Ravion, and I will be setting the world on fire at Boston College on a full scholarship!”

There always are a couple one or two who attend MU.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »
Thank you Brother Lenny.

I hope you are right -- we have this one. He'd be a true Warrior in the Bo Ellis, Maurice Lucas mode. A huge get for Wojo and will get a lot of us off Wojo's back.

But it is a sad state of affairs if our whole future is based on the recruitment of one athlete. We went down this road with Henry Ellenson and look where that got us.

I want us to win like we once did. I say, meaningfully, Make Marquette Feared Again! I mean that. I remember the days when people saw us and were afraid of us. We were tough, played hard defense and were vocal. The aura of the basketball team -- arrogant and obnoxious -- filtered into the entire university. Our swagger was the best in the nation.

We can be that again -- if we want to be.

The difference here is the infrastructure and talent around him will be significantly greater than Ellenson's year with us.

But I have little doubt that if Garcia ends up picking MU, Henry being able to showcase his talent in Wojo's system and go one & done will have been a factor in our favor.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »
One of the best days of the year at another such school (Christ the King, a Cristo Rey Jesuit college prep school in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago) is college announcement day.  Everyone crosses the stage in a sweatshirt or t-shirt from their chosen school, to much joy and acclamation.

“Hello, I’m Donovan and I’m going to set the world on fire at Morehouse College this fall!”

“My name is Jordan, and this fall I will be setting the world on fire at Howard University!”

“My name is Ravion, and I will be setting the world on fire at Boston College on a full scholarship!”

It’s an arsonist training ground?
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »

We've gone way off topic here... but I can't help to respond.  I've worked with a few of their students at my former employer and learned a lot about their program.  I think what they do is amazing!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »
Our future is NOT contingent on Garcia.    There are already two top 100 forwards signed for next year.    Wojo is the leader for Mane.    He is in on a number of recruits in future classes, 'fishing in the right pools.'        Garcia will be an excellent get and the idea of a Garcia, Osa, Lewis front line makes me salivate.     But the program is not in some sort of death spiral.   

Just curious, is Wojo being the leader for Mane just based on Marquette being Mane's only confirmed visit, or is there other information out there?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
It’s an arsonist training ground?

Did you not go to a Jesuit school?
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »
Did you not go to a Jesuit school?

Even St. Ignatius didn’t let that go over his head.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
Just curious, is Wojo being the leader for Mane just based on Marquette being Mane's only confirmed visit, or is there other information out there?

I'm curious as well as I haven't heard anything else regarding Mane except he's planning to visit in January.  Would obviously be great if that actually is the case though.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
Even St. Ignatius didn’t let that go over his head.

Magis please.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 09:18:49 AM »
Pretty intriguing that both Jerry Meyer and Andrew Slater picked Garcia to MU last night.  I would expect other recruiting analysts to make their picks today in advance of tomorrow's decision. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
I'm curious as well as I haven't heard anything else regarding Mane except he's planning to visit in January.  Would obviously be great if that actually is the case though.

Mane also visited Maryland.
Many of the bluebloods haven't gotten too involved with him so far because there's a sense he'll skip college.

feedback