'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Give WOJO Some Credit for the PURDUE Win  (Read 3884 times)

DarkWarrior

• Starter
Give WOJO Some Credit for the PURDUE Win
« on: November 14, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
I have not been a big fan of WOJO's game coaching in general. That said, I still feel has and is progressing the program in a meaningful manner

Last night after a disaster of a first half of basketball he altered strategy and motivated the team. It was impressive, suddenly we looked like a top tier defensive team and we overcame Purdue's defensive strategy. I get tired of everyone picking on WOJO. This guy is evolving and the team is playing for him! Best outcome for Marquette is WOJO feels motivated to continue growing at Marquette.

tower912

• All American
Re: Give WOJO Some Credit for the PURDUE Win
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »
Agree with some.     I disagree about the adjustments.    Unless, by adjustments, you mean getting on your team to rebound.     The game was turned by MU doing what they are coached to do, be physical on the boards and on play good man defense.    Not a scheme change, and effort and execution change.    But yes, Wojo deserves more credit than he receives.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »
The only adjustment I saw was going almost exclusively pick and roll on the offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
The only adjustment I saw was going almost exclusively pick and roll on the offense.

The offense needs more movement, really like all the screens Purdue uses to try and get kids open.  I see to many times, players are set
basically in the corners.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Agree with some.     I disagree about the adjustments.    Unless, by adjustments, you mean getting on your team to rebound.     The game was turned by MU doing what they are coached to do, be physical on the boards and on play good man defense.    Not a scheme change, and effort and execution change.    But yes, Wojo deserves more credit than he receives.

...and Koby showing up in the second half.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
I have not been a big fan of WOJO's game coaching in general. That said, I still feel has and is progressing the program in a meaningful manner

Last night after a disaster of a first half of basketball he altered strategy and motivated the team. It was impressive, suddenly we looked like a top tier defensive team and we overcame Purdue's defensive strategy. I get tired of everyone picking on WOJO. This guy is evolving and the team is playing for him! Best outcome for Marquette is WOJO feels motivated to continue growing at Marquette.

You do not understand how this works.

If we win = players.  If we lose = coach.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »
...and Koby showing up in the second half.

From's Steele's article in the MJS:

McEwen hit a tough, step-back jumper on MU's first possession in the second half. He sank a three-pointer just over a minute later and the Golden Eagles fought their way back into the game with McEwen attacking.

"He's got the mind-set of being a distributor," MU coach Steve Wojciechowski said. "And though, while that's a good quality to have, you can't forget your strengths.

"So one of the things that we asked him to do after the first half was to be more aggressive. Because he can score and him being aggressive will open things up for other guys."
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »
I don't remember any adjustments except for maybe more pick and rolls.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
I stated a couple of weeks ago that Koby and Johnson will be the difference makers between a bubble year and a good year. I am  holding out until Johnson plays a handful of games before making any overall judgement on the squad.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
I don't always agree with Wojo but last night he pushed the right buttons. Would have liked to hear the halftime talk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
I don't remember any adjustments except for maybe more pick and rolls.

In the first half Markus was guarding Proctor and Thompson and they were driving right at him.  In the second half Markus was almost always chasing Eastern European catch and shoot guy, and Cain/Eliott were on the better drivers.  Despite his improvements, Markus is still our worst on-ball defender, switching him to chasing a (taller) guy around screens was a nice adjustment.  Also put Cain in a better position to grab his 7 boards since he was spending less time on the perimeter.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
Well, there were two adjustments. First, we hit the boards in the second half and we quit standing around on offense.  When Purdue got off to a quick start offensively, I think it shook the confidence of some of the players who missed shots that they would normally take.  Also, there was a big difference in the play of Koby.  He was far more aggressive in the second half, looking for his shot instead of just trying to distribute the ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »
You do not understand how this works.

If we win = players.  If we lose = coach.

I don't agree with you often Chicos. But I do here. This made me chuckle.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »
Or, if MU loses, it is because of Wojo.    If MU wins, it is despite Wojo.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »
I do question Sacar in the backcourt of a press break in a near or must foul situation for the other team when the other team has 6-8 fouls. Hell might as well have theo back there.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
I do question Sacar in the backcourt of a press break in a near or must foul situation for the other team when the other team has 6-8 fouls. Hell might as well have theo back there.

We missed Sam at the end there. He was great at breaking the press, and definitely not the guy opponents want to send to the line.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
I don't always agree with Wojo but last night he pushed the right buttons. Would have liked to hear the halftime talk.

Compete...compete...compete

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »
We missed Sam at the end there. He was great at breaking the press, and definitely not the guy opponents want to send to the line.

Plz let this be the boards last reference to sam the bitch hauser.  We could have had Elliott or Koby back there, they can both break the press and shoot fts and didnt qwit on the program
Hell It would have been nice to have Larry Bird back there but he is not an option for us either!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »
Plz let this be the boards last reference to sam the bitch hauser.

Narrator: It wasn't.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »
Props to Wojo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
Wojo also doubled down in the paint in the 2nd.  Too much chasing the perimeter in the 1st which caused some of the rebounding issues.

feedback