[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hell of a Win  (Read 8732 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Hell of a Win
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:17 PM »
How about that offensive rebound Jamal skied in to grab late in the second half? Anim diving for the loose ball. All the plays where Purdue had a wide open fast break and someone chased them down to block or strip. Every little thing counts.

Excellent point. A lot of little things that don't show up in box scores, the kind of stuff coaches love. It was a joy to watch how hard the guys competed.

That post was completely fine...maybe you read it wrong

Maybe you didn't read him trashing the entire team in the first half. Not just common fan-frustration kind of stuff but everybody "sucks" ... everybody's "incapable" ... ripping on one player after another ... calling them out by name. Then we win and, "Hey, what a team!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:21 PM »
Bailey again did nothing. Team win--WOW! Great game for Coby
Coby and Marcus will be a great tandem for some team someday.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
Bailey again did nothing. Team win--WOW! Great game for Coby

I think Coby, Kolby, and Koby will all have great years. At least I didn't see Kobe or Kobee tonight.

C'mon, guys, his name isn't that tough.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
Help me here ... I thought a couple of brothers left the program because MH was a ball hog. 

Did anyone tell Koby or Sacar because it sure looked like they were taking the shots in the middle of the second half and I did not see anyone complaining?

We have more people that can create off the dribble now.  The ball does not have to be in Howard’s hands every time.  He doesn’t have to be a ball hog.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
Excellent point. A lot of little things that don't show up in box scores, the kind of stuff coaches love. It was a joy to watch how hard the guys competed.

Maybe you didn't read him trashing the entire team in the first half. Not just common fan-frustration kind of stuff but everybody "sucks" ... everybody's "incapable" ... ripping on one player after another ... calling them out by name. Then we win and, "Hey, what a team!"

You're right, I didn't. I try to avoid posting mid-game since it's pretty pointless. Glad I didn't have to read any more crap than I already did post game.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »
The defense was good.  I'm not certain Purdue is going to be a great offensive team, though.

17 points in a half is very impressive regardless of the opponent.  I agree about PU offense, but just as much if not more credit should go to our D.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »
A few things I noticed in the box score...

https://gomarquette.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=home

5 blocks  in the game...by 5 different people.
7 players scoring, 5 players with 6+ points.
Elliott, McEwen, and Howard all looking like PGs with the assist numbers. (4,4,3)
Symir the only "bust" for the game, but I have a feeling his day will come.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 11:11:55 PM »
Theo played the entire game and didn't foul out -- remarkable and encouraging. Chemistry looks good. Mc Ewen is the real deal not another Chartouny. Good shot selection by Marcus who didn't try to dominate and control the ball at all times. Learn to come from  way behind--great lesson in toughness. Good rebounding with a height disadvantage. Great way to start the season -- bring on Bucky!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »

Elliott, McEwen, and Howard all looking like PGs with the assist numbers. (4,4,3)

Also, McEwen and Markus with almost identical usage, and Sacar not far behind.
McEwen and Markus both 3-7 from 3.
Very nice line from McEwen all around: 23 on 6/12, 8/9 FTs, 5 R, 4 A, only 1 TO even though he was primary ballhandler.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 11:13:28 PM »
Hell of a win? Don’t tell 4ever...he went to bed at halftime exhausted after spitting on Wojo and MU all night.
When he reads the am sports page at the dentists office he will be disappointed that his beloved Wojo led Warriors actually won the game.....and believe it or not.....Wojo wasn’t fired.
Not at halftime. Not at the end of the game. That’s right Wojo is here all year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 11:15:30 PM »

34 minutes and only 2 fouls from Theo, more please.  With no Jayce and Ed only being 6-7 we had a recipe for disaster brewing.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
34 minutes and only 2 fouls from Theo, more please. 

You want Theo to foul more???  ;D

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:27 PM »

I'll also add that TOs were held in relative check. Seeing as it felt like our only offensive play was running off a Theo screen, we did a good job not throwing it away.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 11:21:30 PM »
You want Theo to foul more???  ;D

Well with our ft defense where it is right now...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:31 PM »
Well with our ft defense where it is right now...

That's a good point.  Did you see all the FT misses by Purdue.  If I'm reading it right, Kenpom has our FT defense at #3.

Speaking of Kenpom numbers...MU moved up from #15 to #13 overall.  With the #11 offense, and #22 defense.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:27:50 PM by rocky_warrior »

source?

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 11:31:22 PM »
Hell of a win? Don’t tell 4ever...he went to bed at halftime exhausted after spitting on Wojo and MU all night.
When he reads the am sports page at the dentists office he will be disappointed that his beloved Wojo led Warriors actually won the game.....and believe it or not.....Wojo wasn’t fired.
Not at halftime. Not at the end of the game. That’s right Wojo is here all year.

If it's anything like the dentists offices I've been in, it will be a couple months.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 11:42:15 PM »
I am drunk. We won!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 12:33:59 AM »
34 minutes and only 2 fouls from Theo, more please.  With no Jayce and Ed only being 6-7 we had a recipe for disaster brewing.

Theo's improvement has been very encouraging this year, and so far I think a lot of it has been mental. He showed last year how much he could impact games, but he also had trouble staying on the floor at times. In the 2 games we've seen, he seems a little more controlled, a little more intentional about what he's doing, but he's still got a ton of energy and swagger. He's going to turn some heads this year if he keeps it up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:10 AM »
Theo's improvement has been very encouraging this year, and so far I think a lot of it has been mental. He showed last year how much he could impact games, but he also had trouble staying on the floor at times. In the 2 games we've seen, he seems a little more controlled, a little more intentional about what he's doing, but he's still got a ton of energy and swagger. He's going to turn some heads this year if he keeps it up.

He turned some heads last season, when he led the BEast in blocks and got some well-deserved love from TV yakkers quite often. This is just the next step in his evolution: Play smarter, pick your spots for hard fouls, avoid cheapo fouls (especially moving screens 25 feet from basket), etc.

He has improved so much over the last 18-20 months. Great, hard work by him, and nice player development by the coaching staff.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 06:56:44 AM »
I am drunk. We won!

I got there last night too. Happy for Uber and aspirin.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:57 AM »
We’re going to need Ed though. Fouls need to be avoided bigly.

That was said perfectly

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:43 AM »

Very nice line from McEwen all around: 23 on 6/12, 8/9 FTs, 5 R, 4 A, only 1 TO even though he was primary ballhandler.
Kinda makes one wonder WTF is up with the idiots posting about how bad Koby is in the game thread.  Some made negative comments , but they were just comments on a particular play, which everyone does.  Without naming names, here are some gems that either need to be retracted by the Scoopers who made them (you know who you are) or the Scoopers who  made them should get a one game suspension from posting on Scoop.

"Koby looks so insecure with his handle sometimes"   (pssst....he had 1 turnover)
"Koby has a long way to go"
"Mcewen is terrible cannot dribble and shoots even worse.

Part of the blame is on Wojo
We dribbke weave and then set a ball acreen that is our entire offense.  Watch purdues man n ball movement and purspose vs marquettes.  Pathetic"
"Take Koby out, no confidence"
"thought koby could make up for loss of hausers but that's looking wrong right now. expectations are at an all time low right now. if the product doesn't improve people are gonna stop caring"
"Koby looks bad. Why isn’t Symir playing?"

But kudos to MUUWUWM for saying exactly what was in my mind while reading the comments, because he was  absolutely right:

The sky is falling the sky is falling, my God you guys are a bunch of hairy wet cats
  Thanks MUU...

Now, let's kick the snot out of Bucky.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »

As the game started, my first comment was, "We need Theo to stay out of foul trouble."  Fantastic to see that happen.

Sometimes last year it just seemed like the refs were looking for him to foul.  I'm not saying that he didn't foul a lot, but sometimes they seemed to have a really quick whistle with him.  Hopefully this year they'll cut him a little more slack, and hopefully he'll foul less.  It would be nice to not have to deal with our bigs being in foul trouble for about 35 minutes of every game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
I made the mistake of taking a peek at the game thread during halftime.

My usual feeling about the game thread:

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 09:32:38 AM »
 Or some version of... It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt.   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:35:11 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.