[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brand new season, same old Wojo.  (Read 70917 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: Brand new season, same old Wojo.
« Reply #375 on: January 02, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »
He's definitely unhinged.  I does take a more measured tone as Billy Hoyle and Warrior Dad.

He clearly needs professional help. I know that he's like a car wreck in terms of watching but i think he'd be better off if we just ignored him.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
Wojo had no business running a high pressure defense with athletes of limited ability to begin with.  That alone should tell someone how inept Wojo's vision is.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
I was in the 80's as well and we are nowhere close to slipping back to it.  Where do some people get this stuff?

We are currently in the longest stretch since the period between Hank Raymonds (in 1981-1982) and Kevin O'Neill (in 1993-1994), a 12 year span, without an NCAA tournament win.  During that time, we either lost in the first round or didn't make the tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_Golden_Eagles_men%27s_basketball

We are now in year six (Buzz's last in 2013-2014) through last year (2018-2019) without an NCAA tournament win. That is where I get this stuff. 

And like it or not, wins in the Big Dance mean something.  To recruits, to high school coaches, to "influencers" and the like.  Going .500 in Big East play is not going to feed the bulldog.  I am sorry, it isn't.  We need to move forward in March (if we get there this year) or eventually the brand will start to tarnish again, in my opinion.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
We are currently in the longest stretch since the period between Hank Raymonds (in 1981-1982) and Kevin O'Neill (in 1993-1994), a 12 year span, without an NCAA tournament win.  During that time, we either lost in the first round or didn't make the tournament.

We are now in year six (Buzz's last in 2013-2014) through last year (2018-2019) without an NCAA tournament win. That is where I get this stuff. 

And like it or not, wins in the Big Dance mean something.  To recruits, to high school coaches, to "influencers" and the like.  Going .500 in Big East play is not going to feed the bulldog.  I am sorry, it isn't.  We need to move forward in March (if we get there this year) or eventually the brand will start to tarnish again, in my opinion.

Thank you for posting this.  This just goes to show how bad Wojo is when it comes to the history of MU and it's basketball culture. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »
He clearly needs professional help. I know that he's like a car wreck in terms of watching but i think he'd be better off if we just ignored him.

Proven wrong and the attacks keep coming....it's how you roll...but you did it without a racist or political comment...progress for you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:05:08 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
Lenny

Cheeks is literally losing it. Plus, saw that Warrior Dad popped up on a post earlier today. He sure gets around.

LOL.  Everyone who doesn't agree with someone is losing it.  I have no control over how other posters post, when they post, etc.  Doing a quick search, however, it appears he posted on the 31st and the 28th, 20th, etc.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=10946

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »

Well, since we just signed our best recruiting class in years....apparently your logic isn't holding to reality.  Right?  Yes, if this goes on for a long time it will have an impact, but it hasn't...in fact our recruiting is better than it has been in years.

Yes, we went 12 years without a NCAA win...guess what's also true...we have made the NCAA tournament 2 of the last 3 years and if the tournament started today, we would be in 3 of the last 4.  We can all selectively pick data.   

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »
Well, since we just signed our best recruiting class in years....apparently your logic isn't holding to reality.  Right?  Yes, if this goes on for a long time it will have an impact, but it hasn't...in fact our recruiting is better than it has been in years.

Yes, we went 12 years without a NCAA win...guess what's also true...we have made the NCAA tournament 2 of the last 3 years and if the tournament started today, we would be in 3 of the last 4.  We can all selectively pick data.

True. And lost by an average margin of 19 points. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
True. And lost by an average margin of 19 points.

Yup, and recruiting hasn't fallen but actually got better....

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
Yup, and recruiting hasn't fallen but actually got better....

Again, you have to see how these players actually perform.  Matt Heldt and Hanniff Cheatam were 4 star recruits and part of a #12 ranked recruiting class that didn't even make the NCAA tourney.  I'd like to see a study done on that.  How many top #15 recruiting classes never went on to win an NCAA tourney game?  I'm sure Wojo set a record there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
Again, you have to see how these players actually perform.  Matt Heldt and Hanniff Cheatam were 4 star recruits and part of a #12 ranked recruiting class that didn't even make the NCAA tourney.  I'd like to see a study done on that.  How many top #15 recruiting classes never went on to win an NCAA tourney game?  I'm sure Wojo set a record there.

Agreed, we do....but on paper alone, it has gotten better despite the predictions by many here that it wouldn't.  We will see what happens when they hit the court because you are absolutely correct that anything can happen, players don't pan out, etc.  On paper = better.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »

Members of that class played in both of Wojo’s tourney appearances.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Members of that class played in both of Wojo’s tourney appearances.

Yes, but lost.  It takes a special coach to garner a #12 recruiting class and not parlay it into an NCAA tourney victory, especially in a field of 68.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2020, 08:08:59 PM »
Yes, but lost.  It takes a special coach to garner a #12 recruiting class and not parlay it into an NCAA tourney victory, especially in a field of 68.

Especially since that #12 class included a player that never came to MU and two that transferred out....but who's keeping track of those silly facts.  Kind of hard to win with that recruiting class when McKay is at Iowa State along with Burton, and Dawson (vastly overrated) transfers to Liberty.  That is a classic example of what was on paper isn't what was on the court.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #389 on: January 02, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »
Especially since that #12 class included a player that never came to MU and two that transferred out....but who's keeping track of those silly facts.  Kind of hard to win with that recruiting class when McKay is at Iowa State along with Burton, and Dawson (vastly overrated) transfers to Liberty.  That is a classic example of what was on paper isn't what was on the court.
It's more like 4 stars Heldt and Cheatam never came close to panning out.  Again, shoddy player development/inability to find players that fit a system - because there isn't a system.  No Vision and No Clue on how to put a team together. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #390 on: January 02, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
Agreed, we do....but on paper alone, it has gotten better despite the predictions by many here that it wouldn't.  We will see what happens when they hit the court because you are absolutely correct that anything can happen, players don't pan out, etc.  On paper = better.

Last I checked, games won on "paper" don't count.

On the court, not on paper, we haven't won a NCAA Tournament game in six years.  The fact that this has been the case with talented teams (on paper), rests at the feet of the coaches.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #391 on: January 02, 2020, 10:35:09 PM »
It's more like 4 stars Heldt and Cheatam never came close to panning out.  Again, shoddy player development/inability to find players that fit a system - because there isn't a system.  No Vision and No Clue on how to put a team together.

Matt Heldt was a 3 star in most services.  He was mostly offered by mid majors.  Yes, some had him as a 4 star.  Let’s not go overboard with the ranking.

https://247sports.com/player/matt-heldt-24392/

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #392 on: January 02, 2020, 10:36:18 PM »
Last I checked, games won on "paper" don't count.

On the court, not on paper, we haven't won a NCAA Tournament game in six years.  The fact that this has been the case with talented teams (on paper), rests at the feet of the coaches.

Agreed, which is why I said we will see how it pans out on the court.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #393 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
Wojo had no business running a high pressure defense with athletes of limited ability to begin with.  That alone should tell someone how inept Wojo's vision is.

He used that with guys like Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson, & Haanif Cheatham, who had decent length and quickness for their positions. He moved away from it after they left.

Players like Jamal Cain & Greg Elliott are well suited to such a system. Not sure the rest of the current roster is, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #394 on: January 03, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »
Yeah, and it didn't work or come close to working.  Next excuse please.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
Bump.  Again.

DePaul?  Really?

OK everyone who jumped on me when I posted this way back at the start of the season, let's hear about how great this year is going to be.  How Wojo will ride Markus to glory.  How the end of last year is a distant memory that is not going to be repeated.   That the second half against Purdue is foreshadowing great things. 

F-ing DePaul.  Justify it.  Go ahead.

Yes, I am pissed.  To waste the talent of a player like Markus and the undeveloped talent that is on this team is infuriating.  It should never have been allowed to happen.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
Interestin' how it took a fookin' loss to a Chicago rival ta get y'all's shmeckles twisted in a knot, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
Interestin' how it took a fookin' loss to a Chicago rival ta get y'all's shmeckles twisted in a knot, hey?

My shmeckles been twisting all season...this put a vice grip on 'em.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2021, 09:45:26 PM »
Bump.  Again. For the second season in a row.

I love all the Projo comments from a year ago on how the incoming recruiting class will make everything better.

Unlike the "we have a pretty good coach" thread that looks about as fresh as an episode of Quincy, M.E., this one has some durability.

And it absolutely sucks that for the third year in a row, this is applicable.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
Riveting

feedback