[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brand new season, same old Wojo.  (Read 70915 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Brand new season, same old Wojo.
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2019, 05:21:13 AM »
Who will inevitably regress because they play for a guy who can't coach - Wojo.  Wojo is great at buying himself 2-3-4 more years.
That is a charming thought.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2019, 05:46:51 AM »
This should be titled "Brand new season, same old Scoop."
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
The man has gone 6 years and a full recruiting cycle with nothingggg to hang our hats on.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

He's recruited well his whole tenure so let's not pretend like getting that ironed out is the key to the kingdom.  A good coach could have won with what Wojo has brought in.  He has not.

Again, that's your opinion.  Not a truth.  Welcome to logic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
The man has gone 6 years and a full recruiting cycle with nothingggg to hang our hats on.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

He's recruited well his whole tenure so let's not pretend like getting that ironed out is the key to the kingdom.  A good coach could have won with what Wojo has brought in.  He has not.

Odd that people are acting like this season is already over and we missed the tournament or something. Just a very weird vibe

MU82

• All American
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
What 5BuckChuck and others in his camp don't seem to get is that even if every single Scooper agreed with him, it's not going to change anything as far as MU administration's handling of Wojo.

Whether Scoopers happen to think Wojo is doing a good job or a bad job, it's highly unlikely that he will be fired in the next couple of years.

So sure, if it's what makes you happy, keep posting that he should already have been fired, that he should be fired today, that he should be fired tomorrow, that he should be fired next month, that he should be fired in March, etc.

Knock yourself out. Just know it's simply not going to happen.

I might as well say, "Every Scooper should give me all of his or her money." I'd love to see that happen, but somehow I don't think it will.

All y'all are so selfish!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2019, 10:08:52 AM »
What 5BuckChuck and others in his camp don't seem to get is that even if every single Scooper agreed with him, it's not going to change anything as far as MU administration's handling of Wojo.

Whether Scoopers happen to think Wojo is doing a good job or a bad job, it's highly unlikely that he will be fired in the next couple of years.

So sure, if it's what makes you happy, keep posting that he should already have been fired, that he should be fired today, that he should be fired tomorrow, that he should be fired next month, that he should be fired in March, etc.

Knock yourself out. Just know it's simply not going to happen.

I might as well say, "Every Scooper should give me all of his or her money." I'd love to see that happen, but somehow I don't think it will.

All y'all are so selfish!

Yep.  And no matter how many hilarious Shaka jokes get made, it’s not going to stop Wojo from leaving for a better or higher paying job if the opportunity presents itself.  Most Scoopers aren’t delusional enough to believe their opinions matter one iota when it comes to the actual operations of Marquette basketball.  This is a message board and reading opinions from both sides is what makes it enjoyable. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
Ok so here for this season and two seasons after, sure.

Just humor me with a dumb hypothetical here.  What happens if we are in a same/similar boat after that clock runs out (i.e. 0-1 tourney wins, no conference title, no deep tourney run).  We will have let Wojo run this program for damn near a DECADE with no success.  Honestly, at this point, anything other than this hypothetical would have to be classified as a comeback for Wojo.

This is the danger in keeping Wojo around for this long with no success.  Rather than the Wojo tenure being a 4-5 year hiccup on the program after we were caught with our pants down by Buzz, we are letting Wojo's product become the program.
When the Coaching Carousel comes up, Wojo will get an attractive offer from a P5 Football conference school and take it .  Wojo sees how easy life is for Chris Mack and Chris Holtmann on the recruiting trail since they took the money and ran,  and Wojo is going to want some of that action too.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
Perhaps, but you, too, are using opinion and conjecture as fact.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
When the Coaching Carousel comes up, Wojo will get an attractive offer from a P5 Football conference school and take it .  Wojo sees how easy life is for Chris Mack and Chris Holtmann on the recruiting trail since they took the money and ran,  and Wojo is going to want some of that action too.

Jobs like Louisville and Ohio State don't exactly open up every day.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »

Correct, look what it took to get Pitino fired.  But then look at Alford, he does better at non P5 schools than he does at P5 schools.  Something to be said for that.  Hell, ask KO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
Yep.  And no matter how many hilarious Shaka jokes get made, it’s not going to stop Wojo from leaving for a better or higher paying job if the opportunity presents itself.  Most Scoopers aren’t delusional enough to believe their opinions matter one iota when it comes to the actual operations of Marquette basketball.  This is a message board and reading opinions from both sides is what makes it enjoyable.

Totally understand this. We're all a bunch of knuckleheads.

What really frosted my flakes with Wojo was the way he let the team lose to Georgetown last season. I mean, a Shaka-coached team would NEVER lose to Georgetown!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »

No but I can see some jobs that may open up this year where mutual interest could exist.

Georgia Tech, Maryland, Stanford, Illinois
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2019, 11:35:16 AM »
Wojo is great at buying himself 2-3-4 more years.
What he’s great at is averting the eyes of the fan base from the virtual dumpster fire. I cannot believe people dismiss the idea that Wojo is not the answer. He’s got zero rapport with his players. MU needs to do itself a favor and stop posting videos of his Walking Dead post game “speeches.”

Thank God his assistants kept 2 or 3 guys from following the Hausers out the door or the roster would be filled with walk ons.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »

No but I can see some jobs that may open up this year where mutual interest could exist.

Those can all be nice jobs but they don't have anywhere near the recruiting advantages Herman was talking about. Plus, and I don't know about the other three, but Underwood isn't going anywhere.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
What he’s great at is averting the eyes of the fan base from the virtual dumpster fire. I cannot believe people dismiss the idea that Wojo is not the answer. He’s got zero rapport with his players. MU needs to do itself a favor and stop posting videos of his Walking Dead post game “speeches.”

Thank God his assistants kept 2 or 3 guys from following the Hausers out the door or the roster would be filled with walk ons.

Apparently, Wojo also is great at diverting the eyes of the administration. I highly recommend you take your proof of his incompetence to them.

As for your closing sentence: Yep, every single good thing that has happened the last 5+ years is because the assistant coaches and/or the players are able to overcome the bumbling head coach ... but every single bad thing that has happened during the same span is because of the bumbling head coach.

Wait ... not every single bad thing is Wojo's fault. Some of it is The Cancer's fault.

Of course, the fact that The Cancer is a Warrior is Wojo's fault, so never mind, every single bad thing is indeed Wojo's fault.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »

Thank God that Justin, Oso and Dawson have quite a bit more insight and intelligence than you do in determining what University is the best opportunity for them.  We really would have a bunch of walk-on's if the people that actually do know about college basketball thought like you, but thankfully that is not the case. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

GT? a third-rate ACC school? Sure Buzz did it but he's a proven looney toon when it comes to job hop motivation
Maryland, is Turgeon retiring or something? genuinely don't know
Stanford, after 1 tournament appearance in the past 11 years? and his Duke counterpart Dawkins flamed out with no discernible success?
Illinois, is Underwood getting fired after 3 years and a probable tourney appearance this year?

all seem far-fetched to me but I guess stranger things have happened

MU82

• All American
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
Thank God that Justin, Oso and Dawson have quite a bit more insight and intelligence than you do in determining what University is the best opportunity for them.  We really would have a bunch of walk-on's if the people that actually do know about college basketball thought like you, but thankfully that is not the case.

Good point.

Not only is Wojo "averting the eyes of the fan base" and obviously "averting the eyes" of the administration, but he also apparently is "averting the eyes" of the high-level recruits he keeps signing.

He must be one heck of a magician or something.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2019, 06:36:15 PM »

Zero rapport...LOL.  How much crap are you going to continue to make up? 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #344 on: January 01, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »
At least we can beat Central Arkansas.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »
At least we can beat Central Arkansas.

And Purdue, and Kansas State, and USC, and Davidson...and soon to add probably 9 to 10 Big East teams.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2020, 07:37:31 AM »
And Purdue, and Kansas State, and USC, and Davidson...and soon to add probably 9 to 10 Big East teams.

Let me know which games.  I'll look at taking the other side of that action and get back to you.

And if you think winning nine or ten BE games is acceptable at this point of Wojo's tenure with the talent on this team (and these is a lot of talent here), then we have wildly different sets of expectations regarding the capabilities of the MU program.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2020, 08:14:48 AM »
A couple of thoughts:

1) Wojo may well be where Rick Majerus was when he coached us back in the 1980s. Learning. This is Wojo's first stop and my fear is he or we will get fed up and change, only to find Wojo at his "University of Utah" creating his own Duke. On one hand, how much more of what we saw last night can we take? On the other hand, is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

2) Last night truly was unacceptable and kinda disgusting. Even to the "we should have lost crowd," losing how we did to Creighton is unacceptable. That was a complete meltdown last seen in Hartford, Ct, last spring. I expect we will be competitive in EVERY game we play. We weren't last night.

3) You have to take each season a game at a time. While the St. John's game last year was a complete cluster, we did OK during the season last year. If we do come back and play well Saturday, all will be forgiven -- until the next game.

4) Sorry to say gang, it's not about wins and losses, it's about money. As in, how much revenue and net income is generated by basketball. Marquette is not going to make a change until Dr. Lovell and the BOT see revenue at risk. When revenue decreases, even modestly, due to lessened attendance, memorabilia sales, donations and more of our games being on FS MCCXII (like DePaul was), our current coach will be squished like a cockroach eyeing a buffet.

5) As I said earlier, I was disgusted (as a fan) at last night's game. We're at best a mediocre team without the depth to overcome an off-night by Markus. As Big East coaches realize this, expect some brut combination to follow Markus around like ants to the sugar bowl. He's not quick enough to shed a double team at the perimeter. If I'm Jay Wright, I tell my guys let Sacar, Brendan and Koby beat us (we know Theo and Ed won't). Just don't let Markus Howard get started!

6) All of this said, I don't see anything on the horizon to solve our problems next year (we're two to three years out at best) and so, the question has to be, is it time for a rebuild. I'm openly concerned that we're going no where fast, but I hope have to eat my words!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2020, 09:25:21 AM »
Let me know which games.  I'll look at taking the other side of that action and get back to you.

And if you think winning nine or ten BE games is acceptable at this point of Wojo's tenure with the talent on this team (and these is a lot of talent here), then we have wildly different sets of expectations regarding the capabilities of the MU program.

Uhm, winning that number of games is based on how good the league is.  We may have wildly different expectations, I'm not stuck in the 70's any longer and I don't believe in running a dirty program in the 2000's is proper either.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:00 AM »

So it's come to this?  Championing wins against:

#89 Kansas State
#69 USC
#77 Davidson

#rebuildcomplete

feedback