Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 145465 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #725 on: February 12, 2020, 02:16:52 AM »
Not an upset but interesting. Virgina beat Notre Dame (sucks) by 1 in OT. The interesting part is that Virginia only scored 3 points in OT, all on free throws. Has there ever been an OT before where a team won without making a FG or an OT where the teams scored a combined 5 points or less?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #726 on: February 12, 2020, 07:50:39 AM »
Not an upset but interesting. Virgina beat Notre Dame (sucks) by 1 in OT. The interesting part is that Virginia only scored 3 points in OT, all on free throws. Has there ever been an OT before where a team won without making a FG or an OT where the teams scored a combined 5 points or less?

I think I saw on SportsCenter last night that Virginia only made one basket in the last 12 minutes or so of regulation and OT ... and still won. That must have been a real thrilling game for any non-Virginia fan to watch. Always great knowing ND lost, though.

Meanwhile, in other ACC news ...

UNC didn't just lose again, they were blown out by a terrible Wake Forest team that hadn't beaten Carolina in 6 years.

Cole Anthony played, so that excuse was gone, and afterward he said UNC didn't compete and got outworked.

“I can name a number of times where they just bullied us in the paint, got offensive rebounds,” I saw it with my own eyes. It happened to me. We’ve got to want it more.”

If Marquette had lost to a terrible team by 17 points to fall to 10-14 overall and into last place in the conference -- especially if we had been ranked in the top-5 going into the season -- and had our top player criticized the team publicly for not competing, I wonder who would be getting blamed.

Yes, I know I know, ol' Cheatin' Roy deserves a lot of slack because he has delivered big for years. Still, I wonder ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #727 on: February 12, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »
If Marquette had lost to a terrible team by 17 points to fall to 10-14 overall and into last place in the conference -- especially if we had been ranked in the top-5 going into the season -- and had our top player criticized the team publicly for not competing, I wonder who would be getting blamed.

Yes, I know I know, ol' Cheatin' Roy deserves a lot of slack because he has delivered big for years. Still, I wonder ...
I'd not be happy with Roy for letting it happen and would blame him.  At the same time, based on his track record, I'd have the utmost confidence that this season is just a bump in the road and that he'd turn it around in future seasons.  If I wanted him fired, it would be for the bogus classes, not this season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #728 on: February 12, 2020, 08:14:33 AM »
I think I saw on SportsCenter last night that Virginia only made one basket in the last 12 minutes or so of regulation and OT ... and still won. That must have been a real thrilling game for any non-Virginia fan to watch. Always great knowing ND lost, though.

Meanwhile, in other ACC news ...

UNC didn't just lose again, they were blown out by a terrible Wake Forest team that hadn't beaten Carolina in 6 years.

Cole Anthony played, so that excuse was gone, and afterward he said UNC didn't compete and got outworked.

“I can name a number of times where they just bullied us in the paint, got offensive rebounds,” I saw it with my own eyes. It happened to me. We’ve got to want it more.”

Wake Forest could be a Wojo destination....sadly.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #729 on: February 12, 2020, 09:32:23 AM »

Wake is a lesser program, with less tradition and less support. It pays its coaches less and is overshadowed by three bigger and better programs nearby.
Unless he's really unhappy at Marquette, Wojo ain't bailing for Wake Forest.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #730 on: February 12, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
I'd not be happy with Roy for letting it happen and would blame him.  At the same time, based on his track record, I'd have the utmost confidence that this season is just a bump in the road and that he'd turn it around in future seasons.  If I wanted him fired, it would be for the bogus classes, not this season.

All fair, CTW.

Wake is a lesser program, with less tradition and less support. It pays its coaches less and is overshadowed by three bigger and better programs nearby.
Unless he's really unhappy at Marquette, Wojo ain't bailing for Wake Forest.

That's my feeling, too, Pak.

But maybe Wake's honchos and boosters feel they want to step up, pay more, and compete. They do have a relatively new basketball facility IIRC.

Dave Odom was 240-132 at Wake from 1989-2001. His team finished in 4th place or better 8 times in 12 seasons, including one ACC title and two runner-up finishes. Made postseason his last 11 years, including 8 NCAAs. One Elite 8, two Sweet 16s, one NIT title. His best stretch there was similar to Buzz's time at Marquette.

No, they were not UNC or Duke, but they were relevant. You had to play well to beat them.

So it wouldn't seem super-duper crazy for Wake Forest fans, alums and administrators to believe they could be relevant again if they hire the "right coach." Whether they actually could be relevant again, whether Wojo would be "right" for them, and whether Wojo would want a return to the ACC (or exit from MU) badly enough to go for Wake's job ... who knows?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #731 on: February 12, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
All fair, CTW.

That's my feeling, too, Pak.

But maybe Wake's honchos and boosters feel they want to step up, pay more, and compete. They do have a relatively new basketball facility IIRC.

Dave Odom was 240-132 at Wake from 1989-2001. His team finished in 4th place or better 8 times in 12 seasons, including one ACC title and two runner-up finishes. Made postseason his last 11 years, including 8 NCAAs. One Elite 8, two Sweet 16s, one NIT title. His best stretch there was similar to Buzz's time at Marquette.

No, they were not UNC or Duke, but they were relevant. You had to play well to beat them.

So it wouldn't seem super-duper crazy for Wake Forest fans, alums and administrators to believe they could be relevant again if they hire the "right coach." Whether they actually could be relevant again, whether Wojo would be "right" for them, and whether Wojo would want a return to the ACC (or exit from MU) badly enough to go for Wake's job ... who knows?

To be fair his best years had a player of equal standing on basketballs mt Rushmore as Wade.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #732 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »
Then we hired the wrong guy - if he bolts after one season of potential NCAA success.  I suspect Wojo wouldn't do very well at Wake.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #733 on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »
Then we hired the wrong guy - if he bolts after one season of potential NCAA success.  I suspect Wojo wouldn't do very well at Wake.

Or our fans started booing and ran off the guy who would've been willing to stick.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #734 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »

How dumb!!!
Go to Wake and 4 years later get fired still in his 40’s with a mid major as his probable only job after that.   Chicos i understand ur only outlet in life is to be a complete moron on message boards, but please keep it within reason
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #735 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »

this is all true ... but if you're a group of super crazy fans, alums and administrators ready to spend big to hire the "right coach" and make the program relevant again, is Wojo really your guy?
I'm certainly not in the Nojo clique, but his resume at Marquette isn't one that screams "this guy can go toe-to-toe with Duke and UNC." I would think that a program looking to make a splashy hire would have several names on its list ahead of Wojo.

Regardless, I suspect Wojo knows he has it good at Marquette.
He gets a ton of university support (financial and otherwise); he has by all accounts a good relationship with the administration; he's well paid; he'll have a decent roster returning and excellent recruiting class coming in to supplement it; and the expectations  - for the most part - are reasonable.
There's very little incentive for him to leave for a difficult rebuilding project.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:23:13 AM by Pakuni »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #736 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
Or our fans started booing and ran off the guy who would've been willing to stick.

Then we hired the wrong guy - too thin skinned to handle the criticism from a small faction of fans at games.  Hell, I'm a big NoJo, and I never felt compelled to boo him at any of the games I've attended. 

Wojo needs to accept the fact that he's ultimately performed on par with Mike Deane through 5 seasons (recruiting aside.)  The last two guys accomplished a lot more in their first 5 years. It's not as though it is crazy for MU fans to have expected more.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #737 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
Then we hired the wrong guy - too thin skinned to handle the criticism from a small faction of fans at games.  Hell, I'm a big NoJo, and I never felt compelled to boo him at any of the games I've attended. 

Wojo needs to accept the fact that he's ultimately performed on par with Mike Deane through 5 seasons (recruiting aside.)  The last two guys accomplished a lot more in their first 5 years. It's not as though it is crazy for MU fans to have expected more.

Stop with this nonsense, please.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #738 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »

Not going to engage with you on your last two sentences. But criticism is different than booing. Booing is shown to recruits visiting games, heard on tv, etc. criticism is during his review with the AD, heard by big donors and fans at luncheons.

He has also done better than Deane. This has been proven time and time again, be as anti Wojo as you wish but use legitimate points.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #739 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
Stop with this nonsense, please.

When one has lost all debates, one settles for making strawman arguments, false equivalences, and non sequiturs. Ners' insistence on doing this kind of stuff over and over and over (and over) again is what gets him banned. Even the mods get tired of it, and he has to go.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #740 on: February 12, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »

Lol wat?  He ain't going to Wake Forest to start over. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #741 on: February 12, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »
this is all true ... but if you're a group of super crazy fans, alums and administrators ready to spend big to hire the "right coach" and make the program relevant again, is Wojo really your guy?
I'm certainly not in the Nojo clique, but his resume at Marquette isn't one that screams "this guy can go toe-to-toe with Duke and UNC." I would think that a program looking to make a splashy hire would have several names on its list ahead of Wojo.

Regardless, I suspect Wojo knows he has it good at Marquette.
He gets a ton of university support (financial and otherwise); he has by all accounts a good relationship with the administration; he's well paid; he'll have a decent roster returning and excellent recruiting class coming in to supplement it; and the expectations  - for the most part - are reasonable.
There's very little incentive for him to leave for a difficult rebuilding project.

I would agree with this. I was mostly devil's advocating.

Just as I thought Crean would never leave for Illinois because it wouldn't have been a career advancement, I agree that there likely would be little incentive for Wojo to go to Wake Forest.

Of course, crazy shyte does happen when one's "happy" gets messed with ...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #742 on: February 15, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Shaka just lost 81-52 to an Iowa State team without lottery pick Tyrese Halliburton ......

Texas Tech lost to OK State.

LSU getting beat by 14 at Alabama.

And #5 Louisville down 15 in 2nd half to Clemson....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:24:52 PM by MuMark »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #743 on: February 15, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this but did anyone else miss this from a couple seasons ago? Was wondering why no C-USA teams had any games left on the schedule after today with 3 weeks until the start of the conference tournament.

https://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/5/29/general-mbb-c-usa-rolls-out-innovative-schedule.aspx

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #744 on: February 15, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
Dodged a bullet with the whole Shaka thing huh?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #745 on: February 15, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this but did anyone else miss this from a couple seasons ago? Was wondering why no C-USA teams had any games left on the schedule after today with 3 weeks until the start of the conference tournament.

https://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/5/29/general-mbb-c-usa-rolls-out-innovative-schedule.aspx

As someone who follows college basketball closely, I admittedly had no idea.

“This new scheduling plan uniquely combines the goals of Conference USA leaders and supporters. It combines a traditional schedule with an exciting end-of-season format that will surely catch the attention of college basketball fans and the NCAA Tournament selection committee.”

That conference has really gone down hill. Talk about an island of misfit toys.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #746 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
Georgetown won at Butler. Georgetown with a depleted roster has been surprisingly good lately. I am impressed with how Ewing is coaching this team.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #747 on: February 15, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »
As someone who follows college basketball closely, I admittedly had no idea.

“This new scheduling plan uniquely combines the goals of Conference USA leaders and supporters. It combines a traditional schedule with an exciting end-of-season format that will surely catch the attention of college basketball fans and the NCAA Tournament selection committee.”

That conference has really gone down hill. Talk about an island of misfit toys.

It’s sad, too, because there are some schools that could be good college basketball schools in that league.  Chasing football dollars...
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »

My point is getting away from our amazing fans.....but Kevin O’Neill did it and people here want to larger themselves in his actions.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #749 on: February 15, 2020, 04:54:30 PM »
Lol wat?  He ain't going to Wake Forest to start over.

Isn’t that was buzzard did?