Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Schedule news  (Read 55885 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2020 Schedule news
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
1m
Source: Marquette will host Albany as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.

Albany and Lehigh are our Hall of Fame Classic campus games.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2019/11/27/20985709/2020-21-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-mte-thanksgiving-holiday-tournaments

So what we know:

• Lehigh (HoF Campus Game)
  • Albany (HoF Campus Game)
  • Rhode Island (HoF Tip-Off)
  • UCF/Minnesota (HoF Tip-Off)
  • UW-Madison
  • Oklahoma State (B12 Challenge)
  • at UCLA
I think we will get a road Gavitt Game and 3 guarantee games. Hopefully at least one that's a Q2 or Q3. Also, with Lehigh and Albany confirmed, that means a full 31-game schedule whether the new rule goes through this year or next.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2020, 01:31:40 AM »
Per Corey Evans Daishen Nix will forgo UCLA to join the G League. But security blanket Tyger Campbell should keep the Bruins afloat.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
·
8m

Sources: Several power conference programs are putting stipulations in guarantee games for next season that if no fans are in attendance, the mid-major school will only receive travel costs and not the normal guarantee. Another effect of the coronavirus.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
Let's be realistic, there will be no more college games played during the Fall 2020 Semester. Not in football, basketball, or any other sport. The absolute earliest we'll see games is December after finals. It's far more likely we won't see any games played until 2021.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »
Let's be realistic, there will be no more college games played during the Fall 2020 Semester. Not in football, basketball, or any other sport. The absolute earliest we'll see games is December after finals. It's far more likely we won't see any games played until 2021.

I agree...But I am more optimistic now than I was a couple of weeks ago. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2020, 12:55:31 PM »

Umm wrong
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
Umm wrong

It's an opinion.  But hardly "wrong" at this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
I think he's right. There will be pro sports in 2020 but no college until 2021.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
Im not sure. Texas is ending the shelter in place tomorrow. As of now, my employer (TAMU) is planning on resuming normal business operations in two weeks and planning on students returning in Fall semester. Things could certainly change but im optimistic
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »
Umm wrong

If even one governor issues an order for state universities to stay closed in Fall, all sports are dead. Imagine Evers issuing such an order. If it isn't safe enough for students to be in classes, it isn't safe enough for student-athletes to compete in sports that require direct physical contact. There is absolutely zero chance of any sports being played for a school that isn't allowing in-person classes.

Then think about the domino effect. If Marquette, UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee are all suspending play, that will lead to their leagues suspending play. The Big East and Big 10 can't play their conference schedules starting in November or December if two members aren't going to be involved. And they aren't going to have everyone else playing non-con games without some of their members. So now you have three leagues that will be completely out of the NCAA structure.

Further dominos...those teams all have contracts in place for non-con games. It would throw all the conferences they are engaged to play out of whack. The Big 12 and ACC both have challenge series in place. How do they go forward while losing those games? Then there are all the non-con tournies, guarantee games, and home-and-homes. All of those would go away and it would have a disparate effect on numerous leagues around the country. Just based on what we know of Marquette, the Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, MAAC, Patriot, A-10, and American would be immediately affected.

But it's not just Wisconsin. Consider that all of the following areas have either Democrat executives or proactive Republicans and if just one of them shut down on-campus activities for Fall 2020 it would put an end to the athletic events of at least three leagues: California, Colorado, Illnois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

The reality is that there will not be college sports without a vaccine. The earliest we could see a vaccine, the absolute earliest if all goes perfectly, is September, by which time universities will have already suspended Fall semesters. College football in 2020 is done. College basketball in 2020 is done. Not only that, but by pushing those revenue sports down the road, we will almost certainly see more schools go the route of Cincinnati. The Bearcats disbanding their soccer program was a trial balloon, there will be more that follow. I would be surprised if the NCAA 7/7 sports requirement was still in place 6 months from now. There will be lost jobs, scholarships, programs, and possibly even entire sports.

This isn't alarmism, it's realism. It's logically thinking through what it will take to get college sports up and running again. And the answer is a vaccine and open campuses. As we won't have both of those things until the Spring 2021 semester, we won't see college sports until January 2021. That's why we are seeing articles where executives from universities talk about suspending the Fall semester now. It's just like NIL. 7 months ago, the NCAA was threatening to kick schools from California and Florida out of the NCAA, today they are pushing a NIL plan through. Today, they are saying they will continue publicly while quietly sending out the indicators there won't be a Fall semester. Be realistic. College sports in 2020 are over.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »
Im not sure. Texas is ending the shelter in place tomorrow. As of now, my employer (TAMU) is planning on resuming normal business operations in two weeks and planning on students returning in Fall semester. Things could certainly change but im optimistic

But the most liberal states in ending measures aren't what matters, the most conservative ones are. All it takes is one governor keeping universities closed through the end of the year and it will stop all college sports. No state or collection of states will try to set up a new collegiate league when they can just push the schedule back 6 months. It would take longer than that just to get something new off the ground.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »
But the most liberal states in ending measures aren't what matters, the most conservative ones are. All it takes is one governor keeping universities closed through the end of the year and it will stop all college sports. No state or collection of states will try to set up a new collegiate league when they can just push the schedule back 6 months. It would take longer than that just to get something new off the ground.

My point wasn't so much that "well Texas is opening up so everything is going to be okay." But more that even a week ago the governor was expected to extend the shelter in place order for another month. The trend lately seems to be positive. I also think there may be another domino effect of sorts. If states like Texas open up and are "fine", citizens of other states may start to get antsy and I could see that swaying the currently COVID conservative states to a different frame of mind.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
I think colleges and universities, both public and private, are going to do everything they can conceibably do to have students on campus for at least the Spring semester if not both.  Simply put, the economic ramifications are way too enormous otherwise.

Put it this way.  All the building that has taken place on public campuses is paid for with bonds.  Bonds on athletic facilities paid by student fees.  Bonds on residence halls paid for by room and board payments.  Bonds on academic buildings paid by tution.  You know who the backstop is if the public university can't pay those bonds?  Or if they can't collect on student activity fees?  The state budgets - which are already a mess.  I think you will have D1 football AND basketball in the Spring.  But I feel better about football in the fall now than I did before.

I have seen many more positive conversations about what having students back will look like.  Schools are going to adapt - they are already adapting.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
When do the gavitt games normally get announced?
Bring back FFP!!!

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »

Last year it was at the end of May.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »

Mid to late May.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
I could see the SEC playing a conference only schedule while other campuses around the country are closed.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
I could see the SEC playing a conference only schedule while other campuses around the country are closed.

I could see them considering it, but they might have to do it without Kentucky or LSU. Even if they did, I don't think college football can go forward without full stands. The revenue is too important. If the option is "lose out on $25M in stadium revenue or start your season 6 months later" I think everyone is taking the latter.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
I could see sports continuing even if the Universities are closed. However, I am not sure what happens when the first player is diagnose with the virus. My gut feeling we will start out having football games, but the season will end up being cancelled. Look how quickly everything closed down when the Utah NBA player got diagnosed.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
I could see sports continuing even if the Universities are closed.

That will not happen.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
Next year is fine for a weak tournament.
why? Beating inferior opponents (wins being assumed) helps how, exactly?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2020, 06:06:19 PM »
why? Beating inferior opponents (wins being assumed) helps how, exactly?

Because we have a completely new team and already have a challenging noncon slate and go to 20 game league schedule. Marquette’s schedule will be fine playing URI and Minnesota as their tournament games.

That being said - I still find that tournament kinda disappointing.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Good news today in Florida. Our governor has started the process of reopening. Our restaurants are opening and our restrictions will be relaxed.

To Governor DeSantis' credit, it's data driven and he proved Florida's problem weren't what the nay sayers said. We're actually in good shape down here. His executive relaxing of restrictions excluded Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties for the moment but even those should be caught up soon.

He was talking baseball in late June here in Florida, with spectators.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2020, 06:53:33 PM »
Good news today in Florida. Our governor has started the process of reopening. Our restaurants are opening and our restrictions will be relaxed.

To Governor DeSantis' credit, it's data driven and he proved Florida's problem weren't what the nay sayers said. We're actually in good shape down here. His executive relaxing of restrictions excluded Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties for the moment but even those should be caught up soon.

He was talking baseball in late June here in Florida, with spectators.
good for FLA. DeSantis is solid.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2020, 07:43:09 PM »
DeSantis kept the beaches open for Spring Break, exponentially increasing the spread to communities across the country, was slow to close and quick to open, and is suppressing Medical Examiners from releasing accurate COVID death tolls.

I guess you're in great shape if the government doesn't acknowledge all the deaths.  :o

feedback