[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tom Flynn  (Read 5377 times)

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
Tom Flynn
« on: November 07, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
Keep Tom Flynn in your thoughts and prayers.
He has been going through a tough time with chemotherapy for his multiple myeloma.

Go Warriors!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Tom Flynn
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Hadn't heard the name before but this is a really cool picture:

http://digitalmarquette.cdmhost.com/cdm/ref/collection/p16280coll1/id/2509

Hope he gets through it

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
Tom played for Eddie Hickey and for Al's first two teams.

He averaged 16.4 points and 9.9 rebounds per game during his seasons at MU.

Tom scored a career-high 37 points in his last game, which was also Hickey's last game as a coach, in a 98-95 win over Xavier at Cincinnati.

Tom Flynn also won the McCahill Award.

Go Warriors!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Thoughts and prayers are with him.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
Tom Flynn- If I remember Flynn was pretty good shooter and  good
rebounder, Played hard. Scored 1282 pts in his three years at MU,
Averaged 16.4 a game. Bob Wolf and Flynn were keys on the 1964-
1966 team. He did finish one career point ahead of Wade and Butler.
Wade scored his points in 2 years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
Tommy Flynn is a first class Warrior and hard pressed to find a better guy. Prayers to the Flynn family. Few have better first hand knowledge of MU ball history than Flynn family.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
Tom Flynn was my first favorite player. I will keep him in my prayers.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »
Flynn was a really good one during the Eddie Hickey years. Hickey did bring in good local talent back in his day. Hope Flynn sees his way through this.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
65 was a very good year, Tom was deadly from the corner, and thanks for your FBI service.
In those days there was no 3 point line.  Tom would have had his share of 3 pointers if the 3 point rule had been in place. 

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »
One of the bright spots re MUBB my first 2 years and and a key part of Al's first winning team along with Bob Wolf. His shot had the flattest trajectory I've seen, but deadly. Would have scored many more points with the 3 pt. line.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Flynn had a long career as an FBI agent. 

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »
Vogue 65: Thanks for the note. Much appreciated.

Tom Flynn is one of the good guys in MU history.

I have been fortunate to have spent time with him over the years and interviewed him for my book on Al McGuire.

Since his wife Tanja died a little over a year ago, it has been a tough time for Tom.

Go Warriors!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 05:13:03 PM »
Prayers up
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
Tom was also a great high school player. Although he was 6'5" he played a lot bigger.  Saw him play in the state tournament.  He would have scored more career points as a Warrior but had to play on the Freshman team his first year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »

Tom scored a career-high 37 points in his last game, which was also Hickey's last game as a coach, in a 98-95 win over Xavier at Cincinnati.

Go Warriors!

If his 37 point night was Flynn's last game and also Hickey's last game, then how did he play for Al?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. It was Hickey's last game as a head coach. In my haste to write the post, I made the mistake of stating it was Tom Flynn's last MU game. It was his last game of that season, when MU finished 5-21. It was the most points that Tom had scored in a game during his MU career.

Go Warriors!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:23:15 PM by warriorjoe »

SonOfWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »
Tom Flynn passed away last week, survived by his children Christina and Michael and multiple grandchildren. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
Tom Flynn passed away last week, survived by his children Christina and Michael and multiple grandchildren.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60076.0

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

Go Warriors!
Think he played HS ball at Messmer.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
Tom Flynn died last Friday at age 75. His son Michael informed me that he passed at the rehab facility that worked with him over the past year. On Thursday, he received the last rites of the Catholic church and was surrounded by his family.

The rehab staff was fond of Tom, and he converted many of them to Marquette basketball fans during his treatment there.

Services are pending in his home town of Carmel, Indiana. Mike informed me that at some point there will be a remembrance of Tom Flynn in Milwaukee.

Tom usually came to Milwaukee for the annual presentation of the McCahill Award, of which he was a recipient.

On June 23, 2017, Tom was in Milwaukee for Marquette's Centennial celebration at the Bradley Center.
That was the last time I saw him.

Tom Flynn, a proud Warrior to the end.

May he rest in peace.

Go Warriors!

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 11:14:03 PM »
I was at the Marquette- Xavier game in 1964.  I received my letter of acceptance to Marquette a short time before the game.  I was all excited to go to the game, until I heard that Marquette had only won 4 games so far that year.  Xavier had Steve Thomas,  a consensus all American who was averaging about 30 points a game.  Marquette was down at half if I recall correctly but Flynn went on a scoring tear and Marquette won the game, 98-95.    I think Flynn outscored Thomas, but I could not find a box score anywhere. I see that a poster above said Flynn scored 37.  Has anyone seen a box score to see if he outscored Thomas?

It was Ed Hickey's last game as a coach.   I remember that at some point in the game, Hickey was so angry at being homered by the refs that at one point he called time out and said we are leaving, and took the team into the locker room.  After a delay, they convinced him to continue the game.  He probably realized that this would be his last game as Marquette coach, and said, what the hell.

After the game, I told my parents that I thought I was going to like it at Marquette.  And at that point, I had never been to Milwaukee.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
When the game ended, Hickey pointed to the scoreboard and shook his fist at the crowd in the old Cincinnati Gardens in Cincy. He went to the locker room, did not say anything to the players, grabbed his coat and left the arena. How all of this season played out, including the details of that last game, are in the Centennial Edition of my biography of Al McGuire, "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child, Al McGuire." Steve Thomas of Xavier averaged 30 points a game that season and outscored Flynn that afternoon, scoring 39 points to lead all scorers.
I found the information in the March 11, 1964, Marquette Tribune game story. There was another game earlier in the season where Thomas scored 50 points. He was fairly prolific.

Go Warriors!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:03:02 PM by warriorjoe »

feedback