'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brendon Bailey article in Church News  (Read 19259 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Brendon Bailey article in Church News
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
http://www.ldsliving.com/USU-Guard-and-Returned-Missionary-Talks-Toughness-40-Other-Returned-Missionaries-Playing-College-Basketball/s/90308

Jordan Chatman is another, I think.

Yes, there a few guys in that article I didn’t list.  All depends on what jump is and what category one uses.  One kid went from playing something like 5 games to more than 25 in year 2, that’s a jump in participation in helping his team even though some of his other stats were flat.

At any rate, I am excited to see Mr Bailey this year...he will have his ups and downs as any kid will, but looking forward to watching the journey.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
I thought I explained it, but will give it another go.

Is Jim Macilvaine one of MU’s all time best shot blockers?  Is he one of MU’s all time best players?
Is Steve Novak one of MU’s all time best 3 point shooters? Is he one of MU’s all time best players?
Is Tony Miller one of MU’s all time assist men / point guards?  Is he one of MU’s all time best players?
Is Jerel McNeal one of MU’s all time scorers?  Is he one of MU’s all time best players?

You can have your definition, I can have mine.  Some of the guys above are all timers in specific areas, which I explained, but doesn’t necessarily make them the greatest players overall at MU.  I could have thrown at least 20 other guys there that fit that criteria.

I think BB has a chance to be special. I hope I am right.  Go Warriors.

Jim McIlvaine is our all time shot blocker, so I guess given a very narrow definition, he's an "all timer".

Same with Tony Miller and (for awhile anyway) Jerel McNeal. So (being generous) you could call them "all timers". But Brendan Bailey will not a) be an MU all time great player, b) be an all time leader in an important statistic or c) be Steve Novak.

Being considered "a special player" in your eyes just isn't enough to earn the label "MU all timer".

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
So...mind numbing arguments about completely subjective opinions of past events is not enough.  Now we have to mind numbingly argue about completely subjective opinions of things that may or may not happen in the future?

Can we ask the athletic department to tip the ball at 9:30am this morning?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2019, 07:07:47 AM »
So...mind numbing arguments about completely subjective opinions of past events is not enough.  Now we have to mind numbingly argue about completely subjective opinions of things that may or may not happen in the future?

Can we ask the athletic department to tip the ball at 9:30am this morning?

It’s Chico’s and Lenny’s. It’s what they do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2019, 07:08:33 AM »
Jim McIlvaine is our all time shot blocker, so I guess given a very narrow definition, he's an "all timer".

Same with Tony Miller and (for awhile anyway) Jerel McNeal. So (being generous) you could call them "all timers". But Brendan Bailey will not a) be an MU all time great player, b) be an all time leader in an important statistic or c) be Steve Novak.

Being considered "a special player" in your eyes just isn't enough to earn the label "MU all timer".

I don’t think it is being generous to call the ALL TIME shot blocker and all-timer.  Or even a top 5 guy in that category, but we all have our opinions.

Go Warriors.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2019, 07:45:12 AM »
It’s Chico’s and Lenny’s. It’s what they do.

More accurately, it's Chico and everybody. Since Chico's original assertion and my reply he has 13 posts arguing his point. Law Dog has 4 in support. Brew 77 has 5 against, Galway and i have 3, Dr Blackheart, Silent Verbal, Tower, 79 Warrior and you (Fluffy) have 1. (not counting this little snark).

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2019, 07:45:37 AM »

You're being a real Chico's, Lenny.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
More accurately, it's Chico and everybody. Since Chico's original assertion and my reply he has 13 posts arguing his point. Law Dog has 4 in support. Brew 77 has 5 against, Galway and i have 3, Dr Blackheart, Silent Verbal, Tower, 79 Warrior and you (Fluffy) have 1. (not counting this little snark).

What are you doing bringing facts into the discussion!  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »

I wasn't against his point just pro more clarification like is being an all timer dynamic so Jerel would remain despite losing the thrown or is it static where he loses his all timer status because he isn't number 1 (answered) Where's the cutoff, did lazar make the cut despite not making number one all time scoring? Needs more clarification before I can agree or disagree
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:15:18 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »

I guess if you only want to limit it to this topic sure.  But that would be intellectually dishonest of you...which is par for the course.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »

I guess if you only want to limit it to this topic sure.  But that would be intellectually dishonest of you...which is par for the course.
For a poster, he sure is an all-timer.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
  terrible tragedy in mexico regarding some of Brendan's religious peers-very sad and frightening actually. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/at-least-seven-members-of-mormon-family-brutally-killed-in-northern-mexico/2019/11/05/d303e448-ffbb-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Not really any more religious peers than Catholics are with Presbyterians or evangelicals. Yes both are Christian but different branches.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »

Very disingenuous of you.

About Half of those responses of mine were about Mormons 2nd year after mission and improving their stats and had nothing to do with BB directly as the potential of an all timer.  I could have combined my responses for efficiency, but gave the tender loving care each deserved with a direct response.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
Not really any more religious peers than Catholics are with Presbyterians or evangelicals. Yes both are Christian but different branches.

isn't brendon a member of the church of latter day saints/mormon?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

LDS members consider themselves Christians.  They don't believe in Jesus Christ the same way other Christian churches do, so that leads these churches to say "well they aren't really Christian then."  The Roman Catholic Church does not recognize them as Christian.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_denominations_in_the_Latter_Day_Saint_movement#Mormon_fundamentalist

The branch that was killed is an offshoot called Church of the Firstborn of the Fulness of Times which is different than the standard LDS even different leader.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_denominations_in_the_Latter_Day_Saint_movement#Mormon_fundamentalist

The branch that was killed is an offshoot called Church of the Firstborn of the Fulness of Times which is different than the standard LDS even different leader.

Huh.  That's interesting.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »

got it-thanks!

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
Zero points the last two games for Brendan.  Hoping he picks it up.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2019, 05:39:37 PM »
Another promising athlete tripped up by the Church News cover curse.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »
Another promising athlete tripped up by the Church News cover curse.

Lmfao

mug644

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »
With no glee, I sense that Bailey’s sophomore year might be like Cain’s sophomore year. Let’s hope Cain’s junior year turns into Blue’s junior year, or maybe Anim’s.

feedback