[Today at 12:45:22 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Markus Howard Scoring Record Watch  (Read 18742 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Markus Howard Scoring Record Watch
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
Joe McCann of Scrambled Eggs was wondering on the podcast about George Thompson's career scoring average record. To make his life easier, I tallied up exactly how many points Markus Howard would need to have at any given point of the season to take that record from Thompson, rounding all numbers up because you have to get the over to take the average.

An explanation of how the table works and the table itself was added to the bottom of the original post on Cracked Sidewalks. To pass Thompson in Marquette's next game, Howard would need 68 points at the Kohl Center. At his current 28.0 ppg pace, he would pass Thompson at Kansas State on December 7, assuming he plays in every game to that point.

I think we would all enjoy a game where The Superfans' 'Mary Pat' reported: 'Markus Howard 68, F*cky Negative 14'.   ;D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »
Markus' 40-point effort against Davidson has him up to 125 for the season, 2,080 for his career, and at exactly 20.0 ppg.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Possible catagory to add is all time 3 pointers made. He is 45 made 3's away from cracking the top 25, 61 away from passing Rowsey, & 101 away from cracking top 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_3-point_scoring_leaders

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Possible catagory to add is all time 3 pointers made. He is 45 made 3's away from cracking the top 25, 61 away from passing Rowsey, & 101 away from cracking top 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_3-point_scoring_leaders
Look at it quickly, he and Fletcher Magee have basically the same 3FG%. Everyone else on the list is at a lower %. Meaning-Markus needs to shoot more. :)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »
George Thompson holds the three year scoring record @ MU.  87 games,  1773 points,  20.4 avg

Through the K-State game, Markus' sophomore-senior three year totals sit at:  76 games, 1746 points,  23.0 avg

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Very cool, Brew

Thank you Brew, very cool!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
George Thompson holds the three year scoring record @ MU.  87 games,  1773 points,  20.4 avg

Through the K-State game, Markus' sophomore-senior three year totals sit at:  76 games, 1746 points,  23.0 avg

That's a very good one...hadn't thought of that. Will add it.

Will also incorporate those made threes. Not sure where it will approximate in, but I'll figure it out.

EDIT: That said, Howard does already have the three-year scoring record as he scored 1,955 from his freshman-junior years.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:28:05 PM by brewcity77 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »

I added in the Marquette threes record (Novak), the Marquette player threes record (Rowsey), the top-25, the top-5, and the Big East made threes record (Gerry McNamara).

I also added records for sophomore-senior scoring, two year scoring, and three year scoring.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2019, 06:28:15 AM »
Potentially a big night for Howard tonight, though North Dakota State plays a slow-down style that could impact his ability to score big. Here are the "within reach" targets for the Bison game:

• 2 Points: George Thompson's sophomore to senior season scoring mark of 1,773.
  • 14 Points: Howard would join the all-time top-10 in Big East scoring, knocking out Notre Dame's Chris Thomas at 2,196.
  • 23 Points: Howard would become the all-time leading Marquette basketball scorer regardless of gender, passing Allazia Blockton with 2,205 points.
  • 31 Points: Howard, along with brother Jordan, would surpass Steph and Seth Curry as the highest scoring brotherly duo in NCAA history with 4,737 points.
  • 40 Points: I don't expect this tonight, but if he gets to 40 it would put him ahead of George Thompson for career scoring average.
  • 6 Made Threes: Howard would pass Steve Novak for most career three-point makes by a Marquette player with 355.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:04:49 AM by brewcity77 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2019, 08:02:14 AM »
Thanks for doing this brew.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 08:44:05 AM »

• 31 Points: Howard, along with brother Jordan, would surpass Steph and Seth Curry as the highest scoring brotherly duo in NCAA history with 4,737 points.

This is lining up perfectly for the next game, against Central Arkansas, where Jordan played.  I expect a timeout or halftime ceremony with the both of them.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »
Yowza!!! George Thompson's sophomore-senior scoring record, Allazia Blockton's player scoring record, the top-10 in all-time Big East scoring, and the all-time brothers scoring record all in one night. Howard also tied Steve Novak for the most made threes in Marquette history.

MUEng92

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2019, 07:02:23 AM »
I've updated the list after last night's assault on the record books, breaking 4 and tying another. I also added each of the top-5 scorers in league history along with a short record of their accomplishments.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »
This is great stuff, Brew. Thank you.

I stumbled across another one for you: the all-time sibling combined record of 5113 points held by Cheryl and Reggie Miller.  Definitely doable.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
The Millers.   Nice find.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »

I stumbled across another one for you: the all-time sibling combined record of 5113 points held by Cheryl and Reggie Miller.  Definitely doable.

Great find, SAW! I added it to the list, definitely attainable. At last year's pace, this would fall on my birthday at Providence.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »

What about all time leading scoring families?  Chris and Doug Collins? Doc and his boys?

Or college football/basketball father and son combo?  The Howards vs. the Hills?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
Great work, Brew, but I was wondering why no one seems to be looking at an even more important Markus stat.

From what I can tell, he is making a total mockery of the all-time MU SOTG race (shame on me if data prior to 2010 shows otherwise).  Certainly such a great number of Scoop awards has to rank pretty high o his list of accomplishments!

Slim

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »
Great work, Brew, but I was wondering why no one seems to be looking at an even more important Markus stat.

From what I can tell, he is making a total mockery of the all-time MU SOTG race (shame on me if data prior to 2010 shows otherwise).  Certainly such a great number of Scoop awards has to rank pretty high o his list of accomplishments!

Right, or how about most records broken in 1 night? 4 might be a record!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2019, 04:14:19 PM »
Right, or how about most records broken in 1 night? 4 might be a record!

4 broken and 1 tied. When Markus got to 28 points, I was really hoping he would hit a three because that would've broken both the brothers record and Steve Novak's career made threes records on a single shot. Instead, they get to share the record for a week.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
The big one today was Steve Novak's career three point makes record. He also moved ahead of George Thompson for career scoring average. Thompson averaged 20.379 ppg, Howard is at exactly 20.400.

In Big East scoring, Howard did the Villanova two-step, passing Scottie Reynolds & Kerry Kittles to move into sole possession of 8th place.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »
Continues to impress.  Al time great, no matter what the meat heads say.  Hope that the team is good enough to win in March to eliminate all doubt.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
The big one today was Steve Novak's career three point makes record. He also moved ahead of George Thompson for career scoring average. Thompson averaged 20.379 ppg, Howard is at exactly 20.400.

In Big East scoring, Howard did the Villanova two-step, passing Scottie Reynolds & Kerry Kittles to move into sole possession of 8th place.

He needs 389 points to pass Troy Bell and become the Big East all time scoring leader. Post season games count, however if he averages 21.6 PPG the rest of the way(thru the BE regular season), he will become the Big East all time scoring leader. Just amaing when you think about all the great players that have played in the Big East thru the years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
Late to the table, brewski. Just now read your entire list of potential Markus achievements -- quite a few of which he already has reached.

Tremendous research on your part. Thanks for doing what I'm sure was a labor of love.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback