[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 287127 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #1900 on: June 20, 2022, 05:45:25 PM »
Don't panic.    Stay in it for the long haul.    Be patient and look for value.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: June 20, 2022, 07:38:37 PM »
YeAh BuT BiDeN FeLl OfF hIs BiKe!!!

They can both stink out loud.  "Hes not as bad/corrupt/divisive as Trump" isn't exactly a defense of the administration.  You can agree that he was a better choice than more Trump and think that Trump was awful...but still point out the obvious concerns both policy and health wise.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1902 on: June 20, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
Who will  be the best potential Dem or Republican candidate in 2024?  Because honestly I don't really care for any of these names that are being bandied about.  Maybe Biden does want a 2nd term, he certainly can't say he doesn't right now, but if he bolts who would you guys think are the two best options?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1903 on: June 20, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »
They can both stink out loud.  "Hes not as bad/corrupt/divisive as Trump" isn't exactly a defense of the administration.  You can agree that he was a better choice than more Trump and think that Trump was awful...but still point out the obvious concerns both policy and health wise.

I agree with this

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1904 on: June 20, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »
Who will  be the best potential Dem or Republican candidate in 2024?  Because honestly I don't really care for any of these names that are being bandied about.  Maybe Biden does want a 2nd term, he certainly can't say he doesn't right now, but if he bolts who would you guys think are the two best options?

I think Dem establishment is looking (foolishly) at Kamala or Pete

I think GOP nom is gonna be Desantis if not Trump

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1905 on: June 20, 2022, 08:31:46 PM »

Which I acknowledged.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1906 on: June 20, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »

I agree on DeSantis. I could see Warren getting back in there for the dems. Her aggressive tax plans on assets and income resonate with younger voters concerned with excess wealth at the top. I think it's a fair debate as I desperately try to relate back to investing...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1907 on: June 20, 2022, 08:43:15 PM »

I agree with you but don't care for all of them.  Maybe Klobuchar runs again and Nikki Haley?   The fact that our choices could be Biden v Trump again is extremely disturbing and chronically depressing. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1908 on: June 20, 2022, 08:46:47 PM »

Agree.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1909 on: June 20, 2022, 08:49:15 PM »
Physically  we were saying the same thing about Trump.   Needing help down ramps, needing two hands to drink water, u able to finish sentences without random non sequitirs.
Politically, Biden is who I always thought he was.  Which is not a compliment.

Trump was worse, and worse than I thought he would be.   The most corrupt, incompetent president in history and an existential threat to democracy itself.  Which isn't over yet.

What about Trump, what about Trump, what about Trump.

He hasn’t been President for 18 months. It’s what about Joe time now.

But you honestly believe that physically/cognitively Trump in 2018 equals Biden in 2022? C’mon, man!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1910 on: June 20, 2022, 08:52:31 PM »
Whatever happened to MUPoop? 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1911 on: June 20, 2022, 09:09:34 PM »

But a lot of the above is force-fed nonsense for the addle-minded.

Nonsense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1912 on: June 20, 2022, 11:42:36 PM »
S&P 500 futures up 1.6% as I write this.

Will be interesting to see if the market actually is up at the open, if it moves higher or lower, and if it's a sign of anything in the future or just a one-day blip.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1913 on: June 21, 2022, 05:02:55 AM »
S&P 500 futures up 1.6% as I write this.

Will be interesting to see if the market actually is up at the open, if it moves higher or lower, and if it's a sign of anything in the future or just a one-day blip.

It should  be an interesting day.  We did bounce back quickly after the initial Covid hit in early 2020. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1914 on: June 21, 2022, 06:26:58 AM »
Talking to some of my steel suppliers here at the Wire and Tube Show here in Germany, tell me I should see steel prices finally dropping.  The industry has finally increased enough production to catch up to demand.  What my copper alloy suppliers already saw 2.5 months  ago

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1915 on: June 21, 2022, 08:07:15 AM »
What about Trump, what about Trump, what about Trump.

He hasn’t been President for 18 months. It’s what about Joe time now.

But you honestly believe that physically/cognitively Trump in 2018 equals Biden in 2022? C’mon, man!
Trump couldn't get on a bike.   And yes, I think Trump is worse cognitively than Biden.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1916 on: June 21, 2022, 08:09:49 AM »
Talking to some of my steel suppliers here at the Wire and Tube Show here in Germany, tell me I should see steel prices finally dropping.  The industry has finally increased enough production to catch up to demand.  What my copper alloy suppliers already saw 2.5 months  ago

Wire and tube show, a,ina? 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1917 on: June 21, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »

Just in time to get slammed by rising interest rates worldwide and cooling economies!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1918 on: June 21, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »
I realize there isn't necessarily a direct correlation between the two, but with the Dow up 700+ points today, and $DIS down almost 1%, there's no way the $DIS board renews Chapek's contract early next year, right? I'm trying to avoid any political talk around $DIS here, but the stock has been curbstomped since Iger left. If their board is serious about Chapek being re-upped, negotiations would have to start soon (his contract is up in Feb). I don't own $DIS currently, but I think the next month may present a buy opportunity if you can get out in front of Chapek leaving and an Iger return. I 100% believe Iger would love to be the white knight to the rescue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1919 on: June 21, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »
I realize there isn't necessarily a direct correlation between the two, but with the Dow up 700+ points today, and $DIS down almost 1%, there's no way the $DIS board renews Chapek's contract early next year, right? I'm trying to avoid any political talk around $DIS here, but the stock has been curbstomped since Iger left. If their board is serious about Chapek being re-upped, negotiations would have to start soon (his contract is up in Feb). I don't own $DIS currently, but I think the next month may present a buy opportunity if you can get out in front of Chapek leaving and an Iger return. I 100% believe Iger would love to be the white knight to the rescue.

Disney right now is a great example for when people are like "how important is a CEO anyways?  What do they even do?"

But otherwise I'm pretty much with you.  Iger was the chairman during Chapek's failings.  He's 71, so young enough to come in and right the ship for a couple years while finding/grooming a new successor.  Lord knows they need it.  Amazing that the company is performing as it is while Marvel is a literal Easy Button money printing machine

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1920 on: June 21, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »
Disney right now is a great example for when people are like "how important is a CEO anyways?  What do they even do?"

But otherwise I'm pretty much with you.  Iger was the chairman during Chapek's failings.  He's 71, so young enough to come in and right the ship for a couple years while finding/grooming a new successor.  Lord knows they need it.  Amazing that the company is performing as it is while Marvel is a literal Easy Button money printing machine

Can't speak for others but I, for one, do not underestimate the value of a great CEO.

My main problem is when a company rewards a horrible CEO with a 8- or 9-figure payment upon firing or demoting him or her. "Thanks for screwing us royally and setting the company back several years. Enjoy your generational wealth."

As is the case with truly world-class athletes and entertainers, CEOs who are among the best at what they do deserve the riches IMHO. I'm a capitalist, just like you are. I have no choice; there's no better economic system.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1921 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:20 PM »
My inlaws are probably dropping damn near 6 figures to take the whole damn family to Disney for a week.  17 people total.  It's ridiculous how expensive the parks have gotten.  And everything is extra now, fast passes are gone, some rides you have to book at 6 am.  Just stupid.  The only ones excited are the little grand daughters and my MIL.  All this in 93* heat w/ humidity. FML.

To tie it back to investing, with these prices, even more insane that their performance as a company is down.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:43:54 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1922 on: June 21, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
My inlaws are probably dropping damn near 6 figures to take the whole damn family to Disney for a week.  17 people total.  It's ridiculous how expensive the parks have gotten.  And everything is extra now, fast passes are gone, some rides you have to book at 6 am.  Just stupid.  The only ones excited are the little grand daughters and my MIL.  All this in 93* heat w/ humidity. FML.

To tie it back to investing, with these prices, even more insane that their performance as a company is down.

Jesus, that sounds terrible
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1923 on: June 21, 2022, 05:03:42 PM »
Jesus, that sounds terrible

It probably won't be so bad, I'm sure his family is fine and ZFB is just the black sheep.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1924 on: June 21, 2022, 05:51:17 PM »
Disney is on pace to earn ~$4.00/share this year. While that is well below their pre-COVID peak, it's also well above their '20 and '21 numbers. Revenue will easily exceed their pre-COVID peak.

The stock price is way, way down, but I would argue it is down from an irrational high, not that the company isn't preforming well. The stock price hasn't performed well, but I think it has merely dropped into fair value territory from way over bought.

I recently took a very small position, and am comfortable adding to it at this level.

That said, I think the prices at their parks are insane and you couldn't pay me enough to go, but for now it seems that they are charging what the people will bear and the public is happily paying it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback