[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 287228 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
Several WFC execs, including the fired CEO, got fined a collective $59 million for their roles in the fake-accounts scandal. Talk about getting a slap on the wrist.

All of these guys became multi-multi-multi-millionaires, socked away the dough for years by cheating customers and screwing shareholders. Fining one of them $10 million would be like fining one of us $10. Except we'd miss the $10 more.

They are thieves, this was a capital crime, and they should have done serious time. Instead, they were fined a pittance.

I'm not advocating that the punishment wasn't lenient and that they shouldn't do jail time, but I think you're massively understating the amplitude of the fines.  This isn't Jeff Bezos or a tech CEO worth billions.  This was the CEO of a publicly traded company who received the vast majority of his compensation in options and stock, much of which has to vest.  His annual salary was in the $2-3MM range.  WFC clawed back a big chunk of his options and compensation when things broke in 2016.  Most estimates of his net worth are in the $50-60MM range.  Obviously he's not going to be panhandling in the street, but this isn't some meaningless $10,000 fine for a late hit for an athlete making $500K a game.  $17MM is a pretty substantial hit, especially since the vast majority of his fortune isn't liquid.  I think the fines are pretty fare and justifiably punitive. 

You're a smart guy, you're better than lumping every "wealthy" person in with the bulletproof Bezos/Geffen/oligarch megarich.  They should have done jailtime, on that we can agree.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
I'm not advocating that the punishment wasn't lenient and that they shouldn't do jail time, but I think you're massively understating the amplitude of the fines.  This isn't Jeff Bezos or a tech CEO worth billions.  This was the CEO of a publicly traded company who received the vast majority of his compensation in options and stock, much of which has to vest.  His annual salary was in the $2-3MM range.  WFC clawed back a big chunk of his options and compensation when things broke in 2016.  Most estimates of his net worth are in the $50-60MM range.  Obviously he's not going to be panhandling in the street, but this isn't some meaningless $10,000 fine for a late hit for an athlete making $500K a game.  $17MM is a pretty substantial hit, especially since the vast majority of his fortune isn't liquid.  I think the fines are pretty fare and justifiably punitive. 

You're a smart guy, you're better than lumping every "wealthy" person in with the bulletproof Bezos/Geffen/oligarch megarich.  They should have done jailtime, on that we can agree.

Not lumping at all.

After the fine, he's still worth a minimum of $33M. You or I would miss $100 more.

At least we agree that the scum of the earth shoulda been somebody's girlfriend in the hoosekow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
open October 30... $92.39
Today.. $110.86

20% proper

Closed at $144.92 today. 57% gain in ~3 months. I'll take it nh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2020, 10:57:44 PM »
Has anyone started repositioning their portfolios yet?

We're in the 10th year of an economic expansion (almost 11) and many of us who have been invested in equities have done very well in recent years.

Is it time in your eyes to begin to lock in gains from the current economic environment, or do you ride a bit longer in hopes the economy stays strong?

Inquiring Warriors are curious.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »
Wish I had not sold my Tesla stock last year.  Eeeesh. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »

We're in the 10th year of an economic expansion (almost 11) and many of us who have been invested in equities have done very well in recent years.

Is it time in your eyes to begin to lock in gains from the current economic environment, or do you ride a bit longer in hopes the economy stays strong?

Yes, I rebalanced last month.

Met with my Morgan Stanley guy today about it.  He has different opinion than my Raymond James guy, but my plans are to hang it up early so I want some of the aggressiveness out at this point.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2020, 11:19:29 AM »

Depending on conditions the repositioning habit should take place two to three times a year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
Depending on conditions the repositioning habit should take place two to three times a year.

I have very few individual stocks. Most of what I have is mutual funds. I like diversity.

We do a monthly look at what's happening and an annual check on repositioning/recasting.

We are talking about repositioning a small part of our investments into mid-term bond funds (duration between 3 and 4) to lock in some of the gains we have received in the past five years in our portfolio.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »
While I have modified new allocations (particularly, I've shifted most of my S-MID allocation to fixed/bond) I have not re-balanced. 

Personally, I don't think it's warranted right now, but I say that as someone who is also hedged against a short-term correction (which, in theory, proxies as something of a cushion to re-allocate if the need arises)... so grain of salt and all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »
Saw this for 2020:  Gold, big tech underperforms, Japan (Olympics), German reset with a stimulus, gaming over streaming, emerging markets if USD softens, low inflation continues, UK after Brexit to be strong, lower corporate buybacks that boosted stocks in 2019, low volatility continues to overperform market.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
Saw this for 2020:  Gold, big tech underperforms, Japan (Olympics), German reset with a stimulus, gaming over streaming, emerging markets if USD softens, low inflation continues, UK after Brexit to be strong, lower corporate buybacks that boosted stocks in 2019, low volatility continues to overperform market.

This reads like a farmer's almanac.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
This reads like a farmer's almanac.

If you require details, pay me my rate.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
If you require details, pay me my rate.
How many beef n' cheddars do you charge?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
Anybody hopping on the sprint/T-Mobile train today?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »

I wish I hopped on the Sprint train yesterday!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »

Sell the news
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
Huh?

Buy the rumor, sell the news is an old saying. Basically you buy when all the big guys are running it up on speculation, then sell when the news comes out, the average Joes read about it and go to invest, and the big funds take profits and sell to them and the prices drop cause they own far more than retail is buying

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Buy the rumor, sell the news is an old saying. Basically you buy when all the big guys are running it up on speculation, then sell when the news comes out, the average Joes read about it and go to invest, and the big funds take profits and sell to them and the prices drop cause they own far more than retail is buying

Thanks, makes sense now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05:40 AM »
In my long (18+ and 30+ year) time horizon accounts I'm incrementally buying the S&P index, so big down days are times when I'm accumulating. I don't necessarily think we're done going down, but I also don't trust myself to spot the bottom, so a modified dollar cost averaging strategy it is.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:02 AM »
Well.... at least my TSLA puts are starting to recover some of their value.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Yesterday, on the Exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFALYnEq7Ao

Number 1 and 2 on my 2020 trends list:  Buy Gold and Tech underperforms.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
Would strongly encourage all to get into AMRN, ASAP - as in Monday.  I put 50% of my portfolio into it back in July and used another 25% to buy the dips the last 5 months for dollar cost average of $18 per share.

AMRN's Vascepa will revolutionize the way we treat heart disease, diabetes, strokes, and potentially dementia.

Other strong biotech play:  IGMS

Stock I took a flier on and kind of like is WRTC.

You still holding onto AMRN?  Woooooooooooffffff
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.