[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Of the last 20 years, which MU season did you anticipate the most?  (Read 2910 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Runner Ups '08-'09: The Amigos senior year I knew we'd be good, probably really good.  The only thing holding this year back from my top spot is uncertainty around how we'd perform with little-known first-year coach Brent Williams.
'18-19: After all the suffering of the Wojo era, everything appeared to be coming together, along with the excitement of the new Fiserv Forum. I eagerly anticipated a Big East title & deep tournament run.

Winner '03-04: Oh, to be this young and naive again. Coming off a Final 4 run, I thought deep runs in the tournament would become the cultural norm. Diener & Novak were back, and I believed that Dameon Mason would quickly become Dwyane Wade Lite. Also, I was a college freshman and could not have anticipated my first year as a student with any more excitement. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:14:54 PM by DienerTime34 »

tower912

• All American
Re: Of the last 20 years, which MU season did you anticipate the most?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »
This one.    Next year, it will be that one.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
Just looking forward to the St. Norbert's game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
2011-2012. I expected us to be on another level. Which we were till we shat ourselves at LSU exposing us to what Florida would do to end the year. Plus the Vandy game still hurts
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
The next one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »
The year MU won the Big East under Buzz and the F4 year.

Honestly, this is the first year under Wojo where my anticipation is up pre-season. I think MU has a very good chance to win the BE or BET this year with the balanced depth and experience—this feels like a Big East built team. Last year’s team beat my pre-season expectations as the season progressed...until that fall from grace the 2nd time through the BE. I didn’t expect the defensive improvement last season...nor did I expect Hausergate.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »
02-03.  Final Four aspirations heading into the year, which were met.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
‘08-‘09: With the Amigos as seniors and Lazar as a junior, the sky was the limit.

‘02-‘03: I rank this second only because I thought ODB’s transfer would hurt us far more than it did, and I was worried that Steve might be another sharpshooter who would have more difficulty adjusting to the college game. I knew we’d be very good with Wade, Diener and Merritt back...but I wasn’t convinced we were Final Four good until a few games into the season.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »
This is an easy one:

02-03.  Still had the sting of the Tulsa loss, Wade back, Jackson eligible, Travis starting, I knew it was going to be a special season.

05-06. Wes, James and McNeil, Novak a senior, the first season in the Big East.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
2003-04, 2008-09, and 2018-19 were all up there, but there's one I truly looked forward to for years.

It was, without a doubt, 2013-14. Knowing we had Davante, Jamil, & Vander back as seniors, experienced reserves in Derrick Wilson & Todd Mayo, an elite JUCO forward in Jameel McKay that filled our only real need of a rebounding forward, & a great recruiting class of Jajuan Johnson, Deonte Burton, and Duane Wilson I was very optimistic.

Then Vander & McKay left, no one filled the leadership void, Buzz checked out, and it all fell apart. I can't remember any season having as much promise and coming up spectacularly short the way that one did.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
It was, without a doubt, 2013-14. Knowing we had Davante, Jamil, & Vander back as seniors, experienced reserves in Derrick Wilson & Todd Mayo, an elite JUCO forward in Jameel McKay that filled our only real need of a rebounding forward, & a great recruiting class of Jajuan Johnson, Deonte Burton, and Duane Wilson I was very optimistic.

Then Vander & McKay left, no one filled the leadership void, Buzz checked out, and it all fell apart. I can't remember any season having as much promise and coming up spectacularly short the way that one did.

This.  Full stop.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »
02-03,  wife was due with our first child that March.  Told her before the season that if MU made the final four I was going to go.  She laughed at me and agreed that if that happened I could go with her blessing.  First born was healthy, wife was doing well, 2 weeks after the birth I was in NO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 07:11:32 PM »
02-03,  wife was due with our first child that March.  Told her before the season that if MU made the final four I was going to go.  She laughed at me and agreed that if that happened I could go with her blessing.  First born was healthy, wife was doing well, 2 weeks after the birth I was in NO.

That’s awesome.

Time to have a kid and get her blessing ahead of the season again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »
  1977-78 and i'm still p!ssed off
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »
I’ll echo others and say ‘13-‘14 coming off the Elite 8, being favored in the new Big East and a highly ballyhooed incoming class.

My lowest expectation not counting Wojo’s first year was ‘05-‘06 and then UConn happened.  ‘09-‘10 was low as well.  That was a really fun team
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
2003-04, 2008-09, and 2018-19 were all up there, but there's one I truly looked forward to for years.

This.  That was the most frustrating season of sports I’ve ever watched in my life.  Anyone with half a brain could tell that playing Derrick and Jake together for 30+ mpg was a recipe for disaster.  That would’ve been the worst backcourt in the Horizon League.  And yet, game after game, Buzz rolled them out there and refused to try anything else.  I’ve never seen a coach so obviously tank a season in plain sight like that.  And I say that as someone who loves Buzz.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
Ditto to what everyone else said about 13-14.
GO WARRIORS!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
I'm gonna change my answer to 13-14 now that I think of it I was definitely anticipating that one most even after Vander left, then McKay then Duane got injured I still thought we were gonna be great.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback