[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Famous St. Norbert’s Alumni  (Read 6399 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Famous St. Norbert’s Alumni
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Famous St. Norbert’s Alumni
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:04:35 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »

BTW it’s St. Norbert. No “s”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »

Tom Durkin’s call of the Travers won by Holy Bull is one of the greatest of all time. My buddy was live to two horses...cashing a National $1 Pick Seven to Holy Bull for $25,000. However, if longshot Concern won, he stood to cash a massive $800,000.

As Holy Bull looked to have the field put away despite being close up to a wicked pace set by the pace-setting DW Lukas charge ComancheTrail, a certain challenger ridden by Jerry Bailey was making a gigantic looping run on the turn home.....

Tom Durkin calls HolyBull game on the lead....”BUT THERE IS CAUSE FOR CONCERN!!” My buddy is having a near heart attack through the stretch drive as Holy Bull digs to hold off the challenge from the fast closing Concern. Through the stretch, Holy Bull is “As Game as A Racehorse Can Be!” intones Durkin.....one last effort from Concern....but it’s “HOLY BULL...WHAT A HERO!!!”

My buddy and his father had spent $500 on the ticket...so they still profited $24,500 before taxes....but they were whiskers away from $800,000...and my friend said, “Really, Tom? HERO?” Oh well, he had a story for a lifetime.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »
Tom Durkin’s call of the Travers won by Holy Bull is one of the greatest of all time. My buddy was live to two horses...cashing a National $1 Pick Seven to Holy Bull for $25,000. However, if longshot Concern won, he stood to cash a massive $800,000.

As Holy Bull looked to have the field put away despite being close up to a wicked pace set by the pace-setting DW Lukas charge ComancheTrail, a certain challenger ridden by Jerry Bailey was making a gigantic looping run on the turn home.....

Tom Durkin calls HolyBull game on the lead....”BUT THERE IS CAUSE FOR CONCERN!!” My buddy is having a near heart attack through the stretch drive as Holy Bull digs to hold off the challenge from the fast closing Concern. Through the stretch, Holy Bull is “As Game as A Racehorse Can Be!” intones Durkin.....one last effort from Concern....but it’s “HOLY BULL...WHAT A HERO!!!”

My buddy and his father had spent $500 on the ticket...so they still profited $24,500 before taxes....but they were whiskers away from $800,000...and my friend said, “Really, Tom? HERO?” Oh well, he had a story for a lifetime.

Great story. had no idea Tom was a St Norbert Alum. I've met him and he is a terrific guy with a wonderful sense of humor. And of course one of the best race callers ever.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
Great story. had no idea Tom was a St Norbert Alum. I've met him and he is a terrific guy with a wonderful sense of humor. And of course one of the best race callers ever.

I agree. Pure class. Super nice guy. He and Trevor Denman are in an all-time league of their own as race callers.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Legendary-Horse-Race-Announcer-to-Receive-St-Norbert-Degree-509445301.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »

BTW it’s St. Norbert. No “s”

Possessive tense

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
Possessive tense

No.

It's St. Norbert College.  Not St. Norbert's College

https://www.snc.edu/
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
No.

It's St. Norbert College.  Not St. Norbert's College

https://www.snc.edu/

St. Norbert's Alumni.  Marquette's alumni.  Possessive tense.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 08:20:42 PM »
St. Norbert's Alumni.  Marquette's alumni.  Possessive tense.

Look at all the other alumni threads. Do they say "Famous Creighton's Alumni"? Or "Famous Georgetown's Alumni"?
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
You guys and gals got room for more pedantry?

Ok, great.  It's actually the 'genitive case', not "possessive tense."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 09:02:37 PM »

Funsuckers' thread, aina?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 11:16:41 PM »

Nominative. Genitive. Dative. Accusative. Ablative.

To hell with my HS Latin and its maddening cases...

Masculine S.                Masculine PL.            Fem S.                  Fem PL.
-us -i -o -um -o.        -i -orum -is -os -is.     -a -ae -ae -am -a.     -ae -arum -aes? -as -aes?

I am an alumnus of MU. Chick is an alumna and her female friends are alumnae....and if the female alums wanted to say they belonged to Scoop...I guess they would be Scoop alumnarum Marquette.

Don’t get me started on the verb declensions...I just remember the endings...

bar baris batur bamur bamini banter.......bor beris bitur bimir bimini bunter....

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
Alumnus and alumni are perfectly acceptable even if you are referring to a woman or group of women.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »

Holy crap, that's that the host from the 700 club! I can't believe that crazy crap is still on the air.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
Terry Meeuwsen is married to former MU basketball player Andy Friedrich (1972). 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »
Terry Meeuwsen is married to former MU basketball player Andy Friedrich (1972).

What?  You're not going to give Dr. Blackheart his due for your signature line?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.