[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee's suburbs  (Read 7424 times)

iammartino

• Walk-On
Milwaukee's suburbs
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
My wife and I are moving to the Milwaukee area and was curious if anyone could shed some light on the different suburbs. She'll be working around 41/Good Hope road but really, quality of life is more important than commute time. We need a pretty liberal and progressive community and we've heard Whitefish Bay and Shorewood. We have a 6th grader and a 9th grader who are coming from a great school and a great school is important....

Thanks!

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Milwaukee's suburbs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 05:12:36 PM »
Check out Brown Deer. Wuz good' nough four Steve Novak, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
My wife and I are moving to the Milwaukee area and was curious if anyone could shed some light on the different suburbs. She'll be working around 41/Good Hope road but really, quality of life is more important than commute time. We need a pretty liberal and progressive community and we've heard Whitefish Bay and Shorewood. We have a 6th grader and a 9th grader who are coming from a great school and a great school is important....

Thanks!

Wauwatosa would fit the bill and be closer to your wife’s workplace.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
My wife and I moved to Whitefish Bay about 5 years ago before our first was born. I'd never lived outside of an actual city before and was really resistant to it. However, we've both really loved the community and have been reluctant to leave. Politics-wise you'll get about a 50/50 split (It is a nice, small community with pretty diverse household incomes but the low end would conservatively be called middle class). Housing prices are insane right now but that seems to be the case everywhere.

Shorewood is similar but skews a little less conservative. Housing is similar priced. There are a ton of duplexes in Shorewood so renting may be an option if you are thinking this is a temporary relocation.

In my opinion, both are great places. Both are about a 15-20 minute drive along the lake to downtown MKE. Schools are good to great in both. Shorewood is more walkable and has better restaurants and bars (although both are limited in choices).

If you want more info, let me know. I'm happy to provide more info to the extent I can.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »
You got the right guy here .. I've lived in WFB for 20+ years, but used to live in Shorewood, so I can comment extensively and would be happy to chat on the phone, too.

Shorewood is uber liberal, perhaps more than Madison.  Think 80/20.  It has an interesting mix of economic and racial identities, and a decent size Russian population too.  My wife taught in both Shorewood and WFB school districts  .. Shorewood has a healthy mix, although that comes with some extra challenges in each classroom.  Lots of duplexes and college students and academic folks.  Solid downtown and lots of restaurants and shops.

Shorewood's school district is excellent .. top ~10 in the state.  WFB's is often listed as #1, and WFB's high school will rank nationally as a top school.  Both are great choices.

Shorewood is the more .. urban of the villages .. WFB is more of the classic neighborhood community.

WFB's mix is less diverse, 90% white.  Less income diversity, but some.   WFB doesn't have as vibrant a downtown as Shorewood .. but I think it has a deeper "community."   WFB used to be 60/40 Republican, now it's flipped 40/60 and dropping, mostly due to the high education population.

If you chose "south Whitefish Bay" or "north Shorewood" there wouldn't be a lot of difference between the two, besides the school districts.

Different strokes .. can't go wrong with either.  Shorewood skews younger, hipper, grungier.  WFB is older, more established, safer.

Not exactly sure what "41/Good Hope" is .. WFB would be about 6 minutes closer to that, though.  -- WFB is farther to the Bradley Center, though, but I can leave my house and be parking in about 9 minutes, so not bad.

Check out Brown Deer. Wuz good' nough four Steve Novak, aina?

Don't listen to 4ever.

Novak lives in WFB and his kids go to our school.   Wojo's wife has been rumored to want to move here as well. 

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »
Wades would agree with me.   

Fox point is alright.  It would be about a 15 minute drive down good hope rd to get there.  Plenty of liberals there, yet some closet conservatives who don’t tell you their political views.

I’m selling/renting my house in Fox Point if interested.  Schools are great, safe area, pretty uneventful, and 15 mins away from downtown.

I prefer the Quan (Mequon) more if you didn’t mind a little further drive.  Ozaukee county taxes, great schools, less crime, great area.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
Wades would agree with me.   

Fox point is alright.  It would be about a 15 minute drive down good hope rd to get there.  Plenty of liberals there, yet some closet conservatives who don’t tell you their political views.

I’m selling/renting my house in Fox Point if interested.  Schools are great, safe area, pretty uneventful, and 15 mins away from downtown.

I prefer the Quan (Mequon) more if you didn’t mind a little further drive.  Ozaukee county taxes, great schools, less crime, great area.

Yeah butt, he wanted liberal. Dat's knot The Quon. Four da record, Novak grew up in Brown Deer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »

Yeah butt, he wanted liberal. Dat's knot The Quon. Four da record, Novak grew up in Brown Deer, hey?

Affirm Doc.

Not many lefties that I know of in the Quan.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »

Thanks!

I'm curious why you "need that"...I've lived in conservative enclaves, liberal areas, etc....always felt like a bubble.  Best experience has been living in a mixed area with diverse opinions, experiences in my view.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
  Totally agree with puff.  Tosa fits the schools, politics, geography and close to everything. This might be a useful “tool” for any area you may be looking in to habitate.  Especially with young ‘ens

https://www.safewise.com/blog/confirm-safety-neighboorhood-online-tools/
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 07:48:41 PM »
You got the right guy here .. I've lived in WFB for 20+ years, but used to live in Shorewood, so I can comment extensively and would be happy to chat on the phone, too.

Shorewood is uber liberal, perhaps more than Madison.  Think 80/20.  It has an interesting mix of economic and racial identities, and a decent size Russian population too.  My wife taught in both Shorewood and WFB school districts  .. Shorewood has a healthy mix, although that comes with some extra challenges in each classroom.  Lots of duplexes and college students and academic folks.  Solid downtown and lots of restaurants and shops.

Shorewood's school district is excellent .. top ~10 in the state.  WFB's is often listed as #1, and WFB's high school will rank nationally as a top school.  Both are great choices.

Shorewood is the more .. urban of the villages .. WFB is more of the classic neighborhood community.

WFB's mix is less diverse, 90% white.  Less income diversity, but some.   WFB doesn't have as vibrant a downtown as Shorewood .. but I think it has a deeper "community."   WFB used to be 60/40 Republican, now it's flipped 40/60 and dropping, mostly due to the high education population.

If you chose "south Whitefish Bay" or "north Shorewood" there wouldn't be a lot of difference between the two, besides the school districts.

Different strokes .. can't go wrong with either.  Shorewood skews younger, hipper, grungier.  WFB is older, more established, safer.

Not exactly sure what "41/Good Hope" is .. WFB would be about 6 minutes closer to that, though.  -- WFB is farther to the Bradley Center, though, but I can leave my house and be parking in about 9 minutes, so not bad.

Don't listen to 4ever.

Novak lives in WFB and his kids go to our school.   Wojo's wife has been rumored to want to move here as well.

Arby"s proximity mattas!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

Thanks!

As someone who just moved out of where you are....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D pray.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »

Not exactly sure what "41/Good Hope

41/good hope is the ghetto.

Shorewood and wfb are dreams compared to what that area is

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

Thanks!

You may want to use this NY Time tool.  It's literally entitled Do You Live in a Bubble.  Interesting stuff, but should be helpful to you.  Search by zip code, it will guide you on where you want to be if what you state above is your desire.  Good luck in your move.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html#11.80/43.047/-87.902/72965
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
Sherman park neighborhood used to be the gem of Milwaukee/ Wauwatosa

41/good hope...not very diverse.  Maybe bout the time Jesse Anderson had his “little tussle”.
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »
Don’t look into Elm Grove, you won’t like it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »
Check out dem streetz of MKE. lotsa liberals

PS - ban dis guy for a political post
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 08:37:57 PM »
Realistically I'll break it into sections

Outside of city but white: tosa, Brookfield, Elm Grove, New Berlin,.... Waukesha? Don't go to: Greenfield, Oak Creek, Cudahy, West allis

"diverse" riverwest (Pockets) uwm area, south of Locust but east of Center

"diverse but white" bayview and surrounding areas (st Francis) ect. 3rd ward, walkers point etc..

Source: riverwest 3 years and worked with areas schools for the last 5.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
I’m looking for a neighborhood that has a nice mix of the “everyone should have an abortion” crowd and “AR 15’s for every newborn” crowd mix nicely.

After all, that’s how all people should be defined.

Sorry mods.

IN BEFORE THE LOCK

iammartino

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks everyone. Back to lurking!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
God bless America, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »
41/good hope is the ghetto.

Shorewood and wfb are dreams compared to what that area is

41st street and Good Hope is .. dicey.  Highway 41 and Good Hope is more likely, that's the Park Place complex area, not terrible.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »
41st street and Good Hope is .. dicey.  Highway 41 and Good Hope is more likely, that's the Park Place complex area, not terrible.

I miss that Tumbleweeds out at Park Place.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 12:25:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. Back to lurking!

Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has them and no one wants to hear them. That could be doubly applied to this board.

Good luck to your family whatever you decide. Both Shorewood and WFB are great places to live as are many other places in the metro MKE area. There are many great resources for additional info that could help guide your decision if needed. Sadly, this board doesn't seem to be one of them.

Cura personalis, gents. You make Marquette proud.

feedback