[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The NBA and China  (Read 28210 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: The NBA and China
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
But but but king lebrons $pace jam is due out 2021.  Maybe he just wants to run out the clock until it’s release in Chine$e 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2019, 12:59:42 AM »
Matt and trey strike again-

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/south-park-episode-mocks-lebron-james-over-china-comments

I guess this probably means that if you live in China, you ain’t gonna be seeing South Park anytime soon

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2019, 06:22:20 PM »
I find these comments quite amusing. The following seems to sum up opinion here.

Our gov't does not stand up for human rights in China. People don't care.

American corporations do not stand up for human rights in China. People don't care.

Let's all attack LeBron for not standing up for human rights in China.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2019, 06:56:02 PM »
I don't think people are attacking LeBron for not standing up for human rights in China. I think the attacks are because he attacked someone who did.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »
I don't think people are attacking LeBron for not standing up for human rights in China. I think the attacks are because he attacked someone who did.

I think his comments about having a bad week is what really pissed people off, in relation to HK and the Uighurs.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »
Lebron is free to not engage in the topic as well as to not stand up for human rights in China.

However when he stands up for in the US (while making it seem like that's a hard thing) and then stands against those who are concerned about human rights in China and HK that's where I have an issue with him

It's all about being consistent
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
I find these comments quite amusing. The following seems to sum up opinion here.

Our gov't does not stand up for human rights in China. People don't care.

American corporations do not stand up for human rights in China. People don't care.

Let's all attack LeBron for not standing up for human rights in China.

I'm not on board with this in this case. LeBron is American corporations w/r/t the HK situation. They are aligned and one - you can't criticize American corporations on this without criticizing LeBron.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver revealed on Thursday that the Chinese government insisted the league fire Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey over a now-deleted October 4 tweet supporting the protesters in Hong Kong, according to Time.

"We made clear that we were being asked to fire him, by the Chinese government, by the parties we dealt with, government and business," Silver said in his first US interview about the league's ongoing free speech scandal. "We said there’s no chance that’s happening. There’s no chance we’ll even discipline him."

Speaking at the TIME 100 Health Summit, Silver noted that "The losses have already been substantial," adding "Our games are not back on the air in China as we speak, and we’ll see what happens next."

https://time.com/5703259/adam-silver-nba-china-time-100-health-summit/

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver revealed on Thursday that the Chinese government insisted the league fire Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey over a now-deleted October 4 tweet supporting the protesters in Hong Kong, according to Time.

"We made clear that we were being asked to fire him, by the Chinese government, by the parties we dealt with, government and business," Silver said in his first US interview about the league's ongoing free speech scandal. "We said there’s no chance that’s happening. There’s no chance we’ll even discipline him."

Speaking at the TIME 100 Health Summit, Silver noted that "The losses have already been substantial," adding "Our games are not back on the air in China as we speak, and we’ll see what happens next."

https://time.com/5703259/adam-silver-nba-china-time-100-health-summit/

Maybe denis Rodman can help smooth things over...yikes!!😳

Tucker Carlson had him on earlier and, well,  he really needs to get off the sauce🤪

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
Following up on the post above

If this actually happens as described they will never get back on Chinese TV.

The salary cap is getting cut 15% next year. Thank LeBron, not Morley, for this.

---------------------------------

NBA Fan Raises $43K For "Stand With Hong Kong" T-Shirts As Protesters Torch LeBron Jerseys

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/nba-fan-raises-43k-stand-hong-kong-t-shirts-protesters-torch-lebron-jerseys

A Los Angeles lakers fan has raised just under $43,000 in under 48 hours via GoFundMe for a run of "Stand with Hong Kong" t-shirts to hand out during the October 22 season opener at the Staples Center, according to LAist. The anonymous NBA fan who organized the fundraise, "Sun Lared," says he had to disable new donations because he blew past his initial target of $20,000 after over 1,500 donations poured in from all over the world.

With shirts costing just under $3 each, the plan is to order 16,000-plus shirts, enough to outfit most spectators in the 20,000-person capacity arena.

The NBA fan, who's going by the pseudonym "Sun Lared," does not want his identity revealed to the public, he said, in order to protect his and his family's privacy and avoid the wrath of Chinese netizens. He said he's never engaged in activism before, but felt compelled to do something after seeing China crack down on the NBA this week. -LAist

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2019, 09:27:54 PM »
Enes kantor has some very interesting comments for lebron

Freedom is not free...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/celtics/2019/10/15/lebron-james-morey-china-comments-enes-kanter-freedom-turkey/3983357002/

Hopefully lebron is getting educated a little

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2019, 09:40:04 PM »
Lebron's comments were really dumb, but what the NBA is dealing with in China is much more complicated than what Kanter is dealing with in Turkey.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
Lebron's comments were really dumb, but what the NBA is dealing with in China is much more complicated than what Kanter is dealing with in Turkey.

Disagree. The NBA is dealing with doing what is right, or generating more revenue. Their loss if they do what is right is the NBA loses money.

Kanter is dealing with a brutal dictator threatening his life and that of his family. He risks being kidnapped, or murdered every time he travels, because he spoke the truth to power. I'm sure Kanter would love to swap places and only risk income.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:16:04 PM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »

If this actually happens as described they will never get back on Chinese TV.

The salary cap is getting cut 15% next year. Thank LeBron, not Morley, for this.

Why? The Chinese government was incensed at Morey (not Morley). They even insisted he be fired. LeBron's comments came days and days later.

LeBron's comments were hypocritical and ignorant, but why, oh knower of all things, should he be blamed if China effectively bans the NBA?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
I'm not on board with this in this case. LeBron is American corporations w/r/t the HK situation. They are aligned and one - you can't criticize American corporations on this without criticizing LeBron.

I don’t disagree with you, Burrows. Absolutely, Lebron has only himself to blame for much of the criticism.

But, undoubtedly, there are people here criticizing Lebron for not standing up to China that are typing their responses on - you guessed it - a phone made in China. They support, economically, the country that violates human rights while criticizing others for basically doing the same. And I certainly don’t exclude myself from this either as I respond on my iPhone.

But, let’s face it; much of the criticism is simply coming from Lebron haters. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
Lebron is free to not engage in the topic as well as to not stand up for human rights in China.

However when he stands up for in the US (while making it seem like that's a hard thing) and then stands against those who are concerned about human rights in China and HK that's where I have an issue with him

Agree

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2019, 10:01:13 PM »
Why? The Chinese government was incensed at Morey (not Morley). They even insisted he be fired. LeBron's comments came days and days later.

LeBron's comments were hypocritical and ignorant, but why, oh knower of all things, should he be blamed if China effectively bans the NBA?

Because LeBron's ignorant statement created the backlash that will result (if the story above is accurate) in 16,000 of the 20,000 at the Lakers Opener wearing Free HK shirts.

It will not end with the one-act at this one game.  Protesting China will become "the thing to do" at every NBA game.  It will impossible for the NBA to get back on Chinese TV.

This was going away before LeBron motivated everyone with his stupid comment.

-----

And what does it mean in dollars?  According to the link below, the 450 to 500 players are taking a $500 million hit next year.  This means the average player is taking $1m to $1.2m hit next year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/10/09/nba-china-hong-kong-whats-at-stake/3912447002/

NBA revenue from China -- and a conservative estimate puts that at $500 million annually based on deals that are publicly known -- is part of basketball-related income which impacts the salary cap and how much money is available to players on an annual basis.

In July, China’s Tencent reached a five-year, $1.5 billion deal to remain the league’s exclusive digital partner in China, and it is the NBA's largest partnership outside of the U.S. CCTV has a lucrative financial partnership with the NBA televising multiple games live each week, including coverage of the playoffs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »

Really??  So the nba could die??  Does the nba fear being kidnapped? Surely you want a do over here

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
So, LeBron's comments were dumb and better left unsaid and he largely deserves the grief he's getting.
But while we're riding atop our high horses and calling others hypocrites, maybe take a moment to look around your home or office. Are you reading this on an iPhone or computer manufactured with the cheap labor made possible by the oppressive Chinese regime? Where were the components made in your 55" LED TV? Who made your clothes, furniture and bedding? I'm guessing it wasn't a well-compensated worker in a safe environment who enjoys the same political and economic freedoms you do. And you're paying less for your consumer goods because of that.

Fact is, the NBA isn't along in benefiting economically from business relationships. We all are. When it comes to China, we're all hypocrites.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:05:04 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2019, 10:03:12 PM »

Ya.

This is one of LeBron's tweets:

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/952902403422150657?s=19

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »
Really??  So the nba could die??  Does the nba fear being kidnapped? Surely you want a do over here

Don't be obtuse.
Fluffy is accurately pointing out that the circumstances of the NBA's relationship with China are far more complex than that of the Kanters and Turkey.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »
I don’t disagree with you, Burrows. Absolutely, Lebron has only himself to blame for much of the criticism.

But, undoubtedly, there are people here criticizing Lebron for not standing up to China that are typing their responses on - you guessed it - a phone made in China. They support, economically, the country that violates human rights while criticizing others for basically doing the same. And I certainly don’t exclude myself from this either as I respond on my iPhone.

But, let’s face it; much of the criticism is simply coming from Lebron haters.

Somewhat disagree. 

LeBron came off as greedy, as he was advocating for Chinese censorship within the US. (China can censor in China, but demanding we censor Americans to Chinese standards in the US is going too far).

This is different than complaining on your Chinese made phone, in your car full of gas from Saudi Arabia, while driving to work at a Briggs & Stratton in Milwaukee, helping them to open more dealerships in Russia.

---

So yes, haters gonna hate, but LeBron is also making it easy to hate him.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
So, LeBron's comments were dumb and better left unsaid and he largely deserves the grief he's getting.
But while we're riding atop our high horses and calling others hypocrites, maybe take a moment to look around your home or office. Are you reading this on an iPhone or computer manufactured with the cheap labor made possible by the oppressive Chinese regime? Where were the components made in your 55" LED TV? Who made your clothes, furniture and bedding? I'm guessing it wasn't a well-compensated worker in a safe environment who enjoys the same political and economic freedoms you do. And you're paying less for your consumer goods because of that.

Fact is, the NBA isn't along in benefiting economically from business relationships. We all are. When it comes to China, we're all hypocrites.

All true, but we also aren't in a position to speak out in a way that matters. Lebron has shown his willingness to use his platform to speak out about injustice in the US but chooses to use the same platform to at best stifle discussion around the abuses of the Chinese government.

There is no doubt there are opportunists that are using the hypocrisy of Lebron to chip away at him but let's not assume that's all of it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »

This was going away before LeBron motivated everyone with his stupid comment.

Wrong.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson