[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The NBA and China  (Read 27995 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: The NBA and China
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
Yeah, Nike has acted just like Lebron.....making stands when it is at worst economically neutral. Take the Betsy Ross shoes they pulled because CK objected, yes it got bad press initially but it gives them further cred with the folks they are trying to sell too. Lebron's problem is that with this China thing the folks who are providing the revenue are on the opposite side of the principled stand instead of the same side.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
Yeah, Nike has acted just like Lebron.....making stands when it is at worst economically neutral. Take the Betsy Ross shoes they pulled because CK objected, yes it got bad press initially but it gives them further cred with the folks they are trying to sell too. Lebron's problem is that with this China thing the folks who are providing the revenue are on the opposite side of the principled stand instead of the same side.

Whether it is the NBA, or Lebron, or really anyone else, those with great wealth will step on and exploit whomever they need so they can maintain and build that wealth. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
Whether it is the NBA, or Lebron, or really anyone else, those with great wealth will step on and exploit whomever they need so they can maintain and build that wealth.

Ding ding ding. Capitalism.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
Ding ding ding. Capitalism.

No.  It is avarice. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27852132/protesters-trample-burn-lebron-james-jerseys-hong-kong

Good!

LeBron is the ultimate self-serving a$$hat. This quote seals it for me:

"Yes, we do have freedom of speech," James said. "But at times there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you're not thinking about others, when you only think about yourself."

So he doesn't realize that Morey was thinking of others (like, oh say, maybe the oppressed citizens of HK) when he tweeted? If LBJ was being honest, his quote would say "negative things can happen when you tweet without thinking about ME."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »
LeBron has always been a phony.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »

If LBJ was being honest, his quote would say "negative things can happen when you tweet without thinking about ME."

Honestly, if he said that instead, I might respect him a bit more for at least telling the truth.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2019, 04:47:45 PM »
Tomato, tomahto

Yeah, we should totally be communist.  Then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Because it would be highly regulated by the government elites and any semblance of dissent would result in being put in a reeducation camp or prison.  That would be sweet.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
LeBron has always been a phony.

You telling me this isn't legit????

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
Yeah, we should totally be communist.  Then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Because it would be highly regulated by the government elites and any semblance of dissent would result in being put in a reeducation camp or prison.  That would be sweet.

It's a real shame that dog-eat-dog capitalism and totalitarian communism are the only options.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
It's a real shame that dog-eat-dog capitalism and totalitarian communism are the only options.

You come up with something else and I'll listen.  So far, capitalism has worked better for more people than anything else. 

That being said, it isn't perfect and leads to exploitation.  Though in some degree, this exploitation is the result of communist China completely controlling their markets to keep labor costs low, therefore artificially attracting capitalist companies to seek their lowest costs.  It is all greed that is leading to strange political bedfellows.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
You come up with something else and I'll listen.  So far, capitalism has worked better for more people than anything else. 

My point isn't a knock on capitalism, but a knock on the extremes of this discussion, which are framing it as a choice between either accepting/embracing the worst aspects of capitalism or becoming North Korea.
The rejection of the former does not lead to the latter.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
My point isn't a knock on capitalism, but a knock on the extremes of this discussion, which are framing it as a choice between either accepting/embracing the worst aspects of capitalism or becoming North Korea.
The rejection of the former does not lead to the latter.

I misunderstood.  My fault.  Sorry.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:19 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »

Good!

LeBron is the ultimate self-serving a$$hat. This quote seals it for me:

"Yes, we do have freedom of speech," James said. "But at times there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you're not thinking about others, when you only think about yourself."

So he doesn't realize that Morey was thinking of others (like, oh say, maybe the oppressed citizens of HK) when he tweeted? If LBJ was being honest, his quote would say "negative things can happen when you tweet without thinking about ME."

But morey isn’t informed?  The dude has a degree from northwestern and MIT vs lebrons...high school education
don't...don't don't don't don't

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »
But morey isn’t informed?  The dude has a degree from northwestern and MIT vs lebrons...high school education

You can have impressive degrees and still be ignorant.  You can not have graduated high school and be brilliant. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »

Morey isn't more informed because of his degrees. He just more informed.

Lebron isn't less informed because of his high school education. He's just less informed.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2019, 11:39:53 PM »
Morey isn't more informed because of his degrees. He just more informed.

Lebron isn't less informed because of his high school education. He's just less informed.

Bingo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
Really bad take by LeBron.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2019, 08:00:26 AM »
I would agree with Lebron if he would have simply said, i wish Morey would have waited to speak his opinion until the teams were out of potential harms way.