[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Malaise  (Read 18482 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Malaise
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »
Nobody has said there’s not a single person in the world who would come to Marquette who could do a better job than Wojo. The issue is finding that person. There is no sure fire, can’t miss guy out there, in my opinion. A guy like Nate Oates isn’t going to leave the big pay day he just got after 1 season to take over for a guy who will probably have just made back to back NCAA Tournament appearances and got run out of the building. Nor is Nate Oates clearly a guy who would kill it at Marquette. He had a nice final 2 years at Buffalo, with some guys who were holdovers from the previous coach. Shaka was much closer to a “can’t miss, will kill it at the next level” and he can’t get it done at Texas, which should be easier to win at than Marquette.

I am confident a guy like Tony Bennett would kill it at Marquette. I’m also confident Tony Bennett would never even have his administrative assistant send a phone call from Marquette through to him.

Chris Beard got the Texas Tech job after a single season of coaching D1 college basketball. It has obviously worked out for them. But it was just as likely that it’d turn out to be a failure. That’s the kind of guy we could get at Marquette.

Superbly stated, wades, and I think this represents the way most who agree with you would answer Silent Verbal's post.

When it’s suggested that Wojo be shown the door, there are a couple folks who always say, “And replace him with who?”  This question, to me, implies that the person asking it thinks there are no realistic candidates who might do a better job than Wojo.  But since I can’t recall anyone actually saying those words verbatim, I’ll stop saying it going forward.  I don’t want to get into “There are people on here rooting against the program” territory.

I’ll say this:  If Wojo misses on Davis and Garcia, I believe the number of NCAA Tournament games he wins this season should directly correlate to how long his leash is.  Win one, he gets another year.  Win two, give him two.  Zero, and like Silvio Dante said about Richie Aprile on The Sopranos, “I don’t think we got anything to gain by keeping him around.”

Re the first paragraph, see wades' post.

Re the second, that's silliness because it's not based in the reality of how MU administration is thinking. You might think that way, and other Scoopers might agree, but so what? Quite a few Scoopers felt he should have been fired two years ago, and many others thought he should have been fired after last season, but again ... so what?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
I started the NM thread.   IIRC, it was originally a snarky dig at Crean that I regretted shortly after posting.   I wanted to delete it, but instead deleted my post and changed the title to NM.   The rest, as they say.....

Funny... as I recall, it was ramblings of a bromance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
Funny... as I recall, it was ramblings of a bromance.
It had been so long, I had forgotten (a) your work of fan fiction and (b) why I started the damn thing in the first place.   For the life of me, I cannot remember Boeheim's snarky comment about Crean in 2017.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
Yeah anyone could bug There's a huge difference between guiding Depaul to zero NCAA tournament wins in five seasons vs what Wojo has done

Exactly.

While I think we get spanked by Murray St even with our guys all on the same page...
There is little debating that Marquette Basketball was a petty insurrection away from an outright BigEast title.

That is sad.

To claim MU is DePaul equates to either messageBoard stupidity or messageBoard grand larceny.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...