[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 120446 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 13, 2022, 01:31:01 PM »
Seemed like we were about to be after the past 5yrs till this year took a big step back. Hope Duffy can build it back again before losing too much momentum.

They need outside shooting.  McLaughlin is their only consistent outside threat and teams know that of course. Well turnovers drive me crazy too but lack of outside shooting is a big thing for them in my opinion.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #751 on: January 14, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »
Marquette moved back on the radar a bit in Charlie Creme's bracketology with their win over DePaul - they still aren't projected to go dancing but they are now one of the next four out - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

They won easily tonight over Georgetown 68-32.  Karissa McLaughlin was beating Georgetown by herself at halftime - 18-13.  McLaughlin ended up with 21 points on seven 3's and went over 1500 career points tonight.  MU had only 11 turnovers tonight and had 26 assists.  Everyone in uniform got in the game except Nirel Lougbo.  Lougbo has been riding the exercise bike during the last two home games but hasn't played since she got her first game action since March 2020 in the Cincy game on 12/22.  Claire Kaifes is still in sweats and since she's coming off an ACL injury she may just be out this whole season.

A tougher opponent comes to town Sunday when they host Villanova (game is on CBS Sports Network).  Villanova didn't have their super scorer Maddie Siegrist for some games early on in the season.  Siegrist had 31 points tonight in Villanova's loss at DePaul.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #752 on: January 16, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
Marquette hosts Villanova at 1P central today on CBS Sports Network.

Interesting transfer portal news - Gabby Elliott (Greg's sister), 5'10" from Detroit has entered her name in the transfer portal.  She was at Clemson and was on the ACC All-Freshman team last season.  She was 2020 Miss Basketball and was ranked in the top 50 of the 2020 recruiting class.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1482573179415678976

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #753 on: January 16, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
Greg failed us the first time round, time for him to redeem himself!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:26:02 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #754 on: January 16, 2022, 09:50:16 PM »
A tougher opponent comes to town Sunday when they host Villanova (game is on CBS Sports Network).  Villanova didn't have their super scorer Maddie Siegrist for some games early on in the season.  Siegrist had 31 points tonight in Villanova's loss at DePaul.

I was at the game today.  My first WBB game in probably a decade.  Had a fantastic time with my sister and niece.  Niece's first MU game (men or women) and she's already asking about the next one.   Siegrist's play at the end was the difference.  I was sitting behind the bench and Coach Duffy lost her mind after we fell behind by 10.  Surprised she didn't get a T but it got the team and crowd back into the game and fired the comeback (which unfortunately fell short).  I'll definitely be back.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #755 on: January 17, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
I was at the game today.  My first WBB game in probably a decade.  Had a fantastic time with my sister and niece.  Niece's first MU game (men or women) and she's already asking about the next one.   Siegrist's play at the end was the difference.  I was sitting behind the bench and Coach Duffy lost her mind after we fell behind by 10.  Surprised she didn't get a T but it got the team and crowd back into the game and fired the comeback (which unfortunately fell short).  I'll definitely be back.

Glad you all had a good time.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Duffy that fired up during a game and yeah I sure thought she was going to get a T.

A telling stat for me in this game is Villanova had 5 different players make 3 point shots in this game and not only was Karissa McLaughlin the only MU player to make a 3 - she was the only MU player to attempt a 3 until King put up an attempt at a 3 at the end to try to tie it.  McLaughlin is the only legit outside threat MU has and other teams know it of course. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #756 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
Marquette earns the easy win over a bad Xavier team as they should have tonight in Cincy - 65-46.  Duffy goes for her 100th career win against the worst team in the BE Sunday at Butler.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #757 on: January 26, 2022, 10:34:12 PM »
Grass isn’t always greener. Marquette on a roll now and Kieger just lost to a god awful Wisconsin team.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #758 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »
Grass isn’t always greener. Marquette on a roll now and Kieger just lost to a god awful Wisconsin team.

Wasn't the thought that she tripled her salary or something like that? Pays for a real nice lawn.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #759 on: January 27, 2022, 12:27:53 PM »
Wasn't the thought that she tripled her salary or something like that? Pays for a real nice lawn.

Could be. Unsure what a middling Big 10 program would set aside for womens basketball though.

Especially when you consider what they spend for Football and volleyball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #760 on: January 27, 2022, 12:38:01 PM »
Could be. Unsure what a middling Big 10 program would set aside for womens basketball though.

Especially when you consider what they spend for Football and volleyball.

To be fair, PSU just had a down run.  They had 5 S16s and an Elite 8 in the 15 years before Kieger got there.  And she went from around $300K at MU to the $750-$1MM range at PSU given what the previous coach was making.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #761 on: January 27, 2022, 08:57:37 PM »

Yeah I saw that PSU just lost to a bad UW team.  But I don't think it was expected that Kieger could get PSU turned around super quickly - they were super down when she got there.  I'm not counting her out yet.

On another note, can we get any kind of discussion going on the current team?  Liza Karlen has made her way back into the starting lineup and had some nice outings the last 3 games.  Last night she and LVK both had double doubles and Karlen was only one rebound away from a double double at halftime already.  They avenged their loss on the road to Seton Hall nicely last night. 

They are projected in the next four out in the latest bracketology with Creighton, DePaul and UCONN from the BE projected to dance - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #762 on: January 30, 2022, 07:05:13 PM »
Saw that they pulled out a win against St. John's today. I wonder if our program is a bit down this year or is the rest of the BE starting to catch up to us?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #763 on: January 30, 2022, 07:46:00 PM »
Saw that they pulled out a win against St. John's today. I wonder if our program is a bit down this year or is the rest of the BE starting to catch up to us?

They were kind of lucky to pull this one out against a St. John's team that's not so great this season 2-8 in the BE and 6-14 overall.

I don't think the BE is all that great this season so I don't think it's that the rest of the BE is starting to catch up.  Marquette's roster isn't as strong as it's been in the previous seasons under Duffy in my opinion.  One glaring hole is the lack of outside shooting - grad transfer Karissa McLaughlin is the only legitimate 3 point threat they have.  She's come up big in some games but it really hurts to only have one outside threat.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #764 on: January 30, 2022, 08:01:34 PM »
I've been impressed with DePaul freshman Aneesah Morrow.  I think she's likely to tie the conference record tomorrow and pick up her 10th BE freshman of the week honor.  She's won BE POW and FOW twice so far this season.  Today DePaul didn't get to New Jersey until 6:30A ahead of their afternoon game at Seton Hall - that didn't  phase her or her teammates.  DePaul won 85-65 and Morrow set a Big East record with 27 rebounds.  Some more impressive stats from the DePaul game recap today:

-Morrow came into the game leading the nation in double-doubles, rebounds and offensive rebounds per game and was second in field goals, third in points and fifth in steals. She now has 15 consecutive double-doubles and 8 on the season.
-The 6-1 freshman has 139 points and 89 rebounds in her last five games---an average of 27.8 points and 17.8 rebounds.

Her sister transferred to DePaul from a junior college but hasn't played this season.  She is the younger sister of former Marquette player Ed Morrow Jr.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:34:17 PM by Marquette Fan »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #765 on: January 30, 2022, 08:31:30 PM »
Morrow was criminally under recruited. Saw her play a lot in high school. Couldn’t believe she didn’t get more offers.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #766 on: January 30, 2022, 08:35:11 PM »
Morrow was criminally under recruited. Saw her play a lot in high school. Couldn’t believe she didn’t get more offers.

I think we are going to see her making a lot of noise in the Big East over the next few years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #767 on: January 31, 2022, 05:23:48 AM »
She is the younger sister of former Marquette player Ed Morrow Jr.

'nother quitter, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2022, 08:47:06 PM »
Marquette is one of the first four out in the latest ESPN bracketology:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

UCONN, DePaul and Creighton are the BE teams projected to go to the NCAA Tournament right now.

Big weekend for Marquette - Friday night at home vs. a Providence team they should be able to beat easily but they can't look past this game.  Sunday - Creighton comes to town and MU looks to avenge an earlier blowout on the road in Omaha.  Creighton is also ahead of MU in the BE standings so a win over them would definitely help MU.

At this point it definitely looks like the road game MU had canceled at UCONN due to MU's Covid issues will not be made up.  UCONN developed Covid issues of their own right after that cancellation and they've only played 8 BE games to date while DePaul and Creighton have played 12 BE games and a number of other schools like MU have played 11 BE games at this point.  Marquette will face UCONN at home on Sun. Feb. 13th in a game that will be broadcast on Fox.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »
Marquette hosts Providence tonight, and Creighton Sunday, with a chance to move up the Big East standings.

Creighton got off to a good start in their game vs UConn this week, but ultimately they couldn’t handle the Huskies physicality, scoring and rebounding inside. The league’s best 3 point shooting team, Creighton shot it well, but they had to work for buckets after the first quarter. They are at DePaul tonight.

…..

As for the previous discussion about MUWBB coaching compensation. For what it’s worth, Megan Duffy’s compensation was listed by MU as $603k for fiscal year end June 2020. Kieger’s listed final MU compensation was listed as $485k.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2022, 02:30:24 PM »
UCONN had their game against Butler canceled for tonight because Butler had travel issues due to the weather.  UCONN looks like they are going to end up playing a lot less conference games than everyone else.  They probably won’t lose any conference games though either.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #771 on: February 04, 2022, 06:59:59 PM »
T is in the house!  Natasha Hiedeman is here to take in tonight’s MU game. And they honored her on the court at the end of the first quarter.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:05:50 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #772 on: February 04, 2022, 10:15:31 PM »
I'm not sure Marquette had any business winning tonight's game against Providence but I'll take it :).  They escaped with a 61-59 tonight.  They'll need to play much better on Sunday if they want to have a shot against Creighton.  Creighton bounced back from their home loss to UCONN on Wednesday with a win at DePaul.  Creighton at 11-3 is second in the Big East right now to UCONN who is undefeated but has played 5 less conference games at this point - they are 9-0 in the BE.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #773 on: February 06, 2022, 03:03:25 PM »
50-47 Marquette over Creighton.

2 weekend wins by a combined 5 points.

Held Creighton to 6/22 from 3. (best 3 point shooting team in the league)

Karlen 20 and 7. Van Kleunen 13 and 7.
12 boards for Marotta.

McLaughlin had her first shot attempt with 6 minutes remaining, and, had just one for the game. But she hit two free throws with seconds remaining for the win.

2nd place in the league for the moment.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #774 on: February 06, 2022, 04:25:31 PM »
Great to hear they made a comeback and won. I turned to Pebble Beach because they were losing by a bunch

feedback