Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by denverMU
[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Open Practice observations  (Read 11496 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Open Practice observations
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 11:27:11 PM »
I would love nothing more than to witness Sacar Unleashed this season. Today he had it all going -- in transition, driving the lane, outside shooting and mid-range jumpers.

Wojo opened his player comments talking about the story of Markus deciding to come back after an All-American season because of "unfinished business" (which got a lot of applause). Then he went on to say Sacar's story is every bit as good.

He talked about how Sacar made the difficult decision to sit out a year to work on his game (as opposed to sitting out as a transfer or due to injury). Wojo said Sacar attacked his redshirt year like no other player he's coached. When he came back, he had transformed himself into the team's best defender and an indispensable player on the court.

It would be great to see him take the next step. Marquette's success in 2019-20 might just depend on it.

My bold prediction for this year is that Sacar will be All-Big East. Not first team, but will be somewhere on the list.

He is what I love about college basketball. As a true freshmen, I thought he'd be an end of bench kind of guy, Maybe 5-8 minutes a game. The coaches, and most of all the hard work by Sacar, have made him a very good college player.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:29:31 PM by Jockey »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 07:23:43 AM »
This is it exactly. I know we all love his athleticism, but I have a feeling that he’s going to be getting spot minutes again.

Unfortunately you may be right. There was a situation during yesterday's action where he had an opportunity to take the ball to the hole in broken court action.  There was a defender directly in his path (Ed maybe) but instead of attacking and drawing a foul, he pulled the ball out to begin a half court set. Now he didn't turn it over but that was an opportunity lost nevertheless. Marcus and I commented on it in real time.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 07:56:22 AM »

Jayce is a big boy. Makes Ed look like a PG.

I noticed that our size this year makes Markus look especially tiny.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »
I noticed that our size this year makes Markus look especially tiny.

Pretty sure hour teem has generally bin well hung, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Seashells

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »
I didn't think Dexter was bad - but I don't see any playing time for him this year.  Would be a good red-shirt year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 04:06:14 PM »
Since arriving at Marquette, Wojo has used either an 8-deep or 9-deep main rotation.

Last season, eight players (Markus, Sam, Joey, Sacar, Theo, Ed, Brendan and Joseph) appeared in 30+ games and averaged at least 14 mpg. Jamal averaged just under 9 mpg in 29 games. Matt saw less than 5 mpg in 25 games. Koby sat out as a transfer. Ike and Greg sat out due to injury.

This season, the roster looks deeper. We have 11 active players instead of 10. And it doesn't look as though Brendan has clearly set himself apart from Jamal, or Symir from Dexter -- at least at this point.

Chances are, one or two of those players are going to see spot minutes (less than 10 mpg) in most games. But it's good to have the option to go deeper into the bench when needed -- whether because of fouls, fatigue or injury.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
1) Two bigs will be common.
2) The Freshmen will contribute.
3) Jayce has a very nice traditional 5 game, both offensively and on D.
4) Nice to see Greg out there and fully cleared although not yet in playing shape.
5) Two, count them, two top if the key jumpers by Ed.

All good. Discuss what you observed.
5 is a surprise to me after seeing Ed heave the basketball last year on any shot outside 5 feet.

Thanks for the report.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
Sam should have stayed and Joey should have left.
I agree with this analysis
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
I would love nothing more than to witness Sacar Unleashed this season. Today he had it all going -- in transition, driving the lane, outside shooting and mid-range jumpers.

Wojo opened his player comments talking about the story of Markus deciding to come back after an All-American season because of "unfinished business" (which got a lot of applause). Then he went on to say Sacar's story is every bit as good.

He talked about how Sacar made the difficult decision to sit out a year to work on his game (as opposed to sitting out as a transfer or due to injury). Wojo said Sacar attacked his redshirt year like no other player he's coached. When he came back, he had transformed himself into the team's best defender and an indispensable player on the court.

It would be great to see him take the next step. Marquette's success in 2019-20 might just depend on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wojo said in his opening remarks, Markus & Sacar were 2 of the best scorers in the country.  That caught my attention, but it is possible I misheard what was being said.

If he said that, and it happens to be true, what ppg can we expect from the 2 of them this season?

Markus:  24ppg
Sacar:    16ppg ???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:38:10 PM by 94Warrior »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wojo said in his opening remarks, Markus & Sacar were 2 of the best scorers in the country.  That caught my attention, but it is possible I misheard what was being said.

If he said that, and it happens to be true, what ppg can we expect from the 2 of them this season?

Markus:  24ppg
Sacar:    16ppg ???

I’m really hoping MU can have an elite 3 guard lineup ala UofI back in the Dee Brown/Luther Head/Deron Williams season. Obviously if this season went as well for Marquette as that one did for Illinois it would be incredible.

I think the overall success of the season is based on the scoring abilities of the Markus/Sacar/Koby three guard monster- would be nice to get 50-60 pts on a nightly basis from the three and would really go a long way to a great season.

FWIW I’m a bit worried that Koby won’t live up to the earlier expectations I had of him based on all of the positive feedback from his redshirt practices- it reminded me of all the talk of Rowsey being awesome that panned out. Koby just seemed a bit timid in Italy and there wasn’t much talk of him dominating in the scrimmage either so I really hope he comes in with that killer instinct and drive to be a difference-maker along with Markus and Sacar. I do think Sacar takes another step this year and becomes more aggressive, avg around 15ppg

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »

Wojo's comments
The practice closed with extensive comments from the coach. I'm paraphrasing, but he covered a number of points:

• This is an incredible group of guys, and has "the potential to be better than any team I've coached here." (Pretty sure i got that quote verbatim.)

Ummmm...we've gone a NIT and been blown out twice in the NCAA 1st round (2nd round / Round of 64 if you're using Tom Crean Math).  God I hope this is his best team.  It's Year 6.  Some of us are close to dying (not looking at you Lenny!).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 10:43:05 PM »
Ummmm...we've gone a NIT and been blown out twice in the NCAA 1st round (2nd round / Round of 64 if you're using Tom Crean Math).  God I hope this is his best team.  It's Year 6.  Some of us are close to dying (not looking at you Lenny!).

Lens - I watched (and somehow survived) the entire Murray St game. This old warrior will not go gently into that goodnight!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
Lens - I watched (and somehow survived) the entire Murray St game. This old warrior will not go gently into that goodnight!

My day started out great. Feeling good and about to start on a woodworking project. Then I made the mistake of reading your post. I am another old warrior who has seen some games that I wish I had not. The Murray State game was one of the most painful. I know, I know- we need to put that nightmare behind us, but easier said than done. Let's  hope that Wojo and the team will be a very pleasant surprise this year. I think it is very doable.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 09:15:25 AM »
I am officially going on record that I believe this will be Wojo's best team to date and by a wide margin. On different thread I noted that that Bailey would be the difference maker this season and have a change of heart. I think the new big guy in the middle and Kobe are going to be time contributors this season. In addition, I think Ed M. is going to play a very major role this season and end up getting more PT than Theo.

Until the last few weeks I thought this season would be a repeat of previous seasons in regards to NCAA success. I now think that everyone stays healthy, this team will win a minimum of one NCAA game this season. My confidence level that we will not have a "fool's gold" season is quite high. While I still remain disappointed in losing the Hausers, this team might make some noise.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »
On different thread I noted that that Bailey would be the difference maker this season and have a change of heart.
What does this mean?
Change of heart?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
Final Four

I think Bailey will have a nice year, but now believe Johnson and Kobe will be the difference makers this season.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
I too am pretty optimistic because I can see a lineup where Greg, Koby and Sacar are creating havoc on D and that turns into easy points in transition.  I'm probably as excited for Sacar's season as I have been for any player in a long, long time.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
I am cautiously optimistic.  I could see this team being similar to last year's Purdue team and maybe just as good: everything centers around an undersized high volume scorer, a mid-sized wing player that can get hot is a secondary option, then you have a traditional big man for rim protection and rebounding.  Beyond that you have role players that you can use in various combinations and make adjustments.