[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Big East Preview  (Read 2921 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: ESPN Big East Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »
Well ESPN likes us more than CBS. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
I think they are also too high on Seton Hall, but definitely looks better than the CBS prognostication.

I'm really surprised how down people are on Providence. Alpha Diallo is probably the best bet for a non-Howard/Powell Big East Player of the Year candidate, AJ Reeves was fantastic pre-injury, and with Pipkins and Duke, Cooley has two solid candidates to step up as the next great Providence PG. And if Emmitt Holt is finally healthy, watch out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »
I think they are also too high on Seton Hall, but definitely looks better than the CBS prognostication.

I'm really surprised how down people are on Providence. Alpha Diallo is probably the best bet for a non-Howard/Powell Big East Player of the Year candidate, AJ Reeves was fantastic pre-injury, and with Pipkins and Duke, Cooley has two solid candidates to step up as the next great Providence PG. And if Emmitt Holt is finally healthy, watch out.
Yes, the Friars are a very dangerous team.  Pirates could be boom or bust, though boom is more likely in my view.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

Whatever happened to Holt?  Wasn't he supposed to be healthy last year?  Agreed that a healthy Holt/Watson combo could be deadly.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Yes, the Friars are a very dangerous team.  Pirates could be boom or bust, though boom is more likely in my view.

I'll be honest, and I could easily be wrong, but I don't see the boom at all. Powell is great, but their entire offense last year ran through him. Even more so than Marquette's did with Howard. I understand his usage wasn't as high, but everything they did was predicated either on him getting the ball or him being a decoy. And even still, their offense was really bad. 7th in the league and 87th in the country. And defensively, they also weren't good, just 60th nationally.

Marquette jumped up last year because they had roster consistency, added guys that were significant contributors in Joey, Morrow, and Bailey (even in small minutes, Morrow & Bailey had significant impact on games), and got better defensively because Rowsey left.

Seton Hall, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have that. Ike Obiagu is basically a Romaro Gill clone, so they'll get a few more minutes of that, but Gill wasn't really good. Michael Nzei was efficient offensively and solid defensively and is a bigger loss than I think people realize. Bad offense, bad defense, and somehow they are co-favorites to win the league? I really don't get it. They also still have Kevin Willard, who never really improved on that first NCAA run with the Delgado team. Why would this be better?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
Talk is Seton Hall will get it's biggest crowd ever at the Rock on Nov. 14 vs Michigan State. Seton Hall has really grown in the new era of the Big East. They tarp of the upper deck at the Rock. Talk is they are opening it up for MSU, Maryland, Villanova and someone else (I forgot) So, the hype is there. Lots of hype on Ike Obiagu as well. I hope they can do it, other than the games versus MU. Needs others to really step up not named Villanova.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
I'll be honest, and I could easily be wrong, but I don't see the boom at all. Powell is great, but their entire offense last year ran through him. Even more so than Marquette's did with Howard. I understand his usage wasn't as high, but everything they did was predicated either on him getting the ball or him being a decoy. And even still, their offense was really bad. 7th in the league and 87th in the country. And defensively, they also weren't good, just 60th nationally.

Marquette jumped up last year because they had roster consistency, added guys that were significant contributors in Joey, Morrow, and Bailey (even in small minutes, Morrow & Bailey had significant impact on games), and got better defensively because Rowsey left.

Seton Hall, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have that. Ike Obiagu is basically a Romaro Gill clone, so they'll get a few more minutes of that, but Gill wasn't really good. Michael Nzei was efficient offensively and solid defensively and is a bigger loss than I think people realize. Bad offense, bad defense, and somehow they are co-favorites to win the league? I really don't get it. They also still have Kevin Willard, who never really improved on that first NCAA run with the Delgado team. Why would this be better?

What ncaa run? He's 1-4 in the tournament
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
What ncaa run? He's 1-4 in the tournament

Sorry, I meant NCAA appearance. His teams just never seem to get better.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
I so wish this had been true. Would have eliminated a lot of the angst we faced over the summer. From the ESPN predictions on Markus Howard...

He went 5-for-23 from the 3-point line in two NCAA tournament games last season, demonstrating the ways his ambitious style can cost his team.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 03:08:03 PM »
Got the stat right, just misstated the context. Markus was 5-23 from three-point range during the last two games of the 2018-19 season -- 1-9 in the Big East tournament semifinal against Seton Hall, and 4-14 in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Murray State.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback