[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Barttovik Preseason 2019-20  (Read 11087 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Barttovik Preseason 2019-20
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
In the end none of it means much

Well, I certainly agree with this!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »
I wonder how T-Rank derives its projected defensive ranking for Marquette.

Last season's team was ranked #47 defensively. We lost four players: Sam (at best the team's fifth best defender after Theo, Sacar, Ed and Brendan), Joey (easily our worst defender), Joseph Chartouny (who played a limited role off the bench) and Matt (who wasn't part of the regular rotation).

And we add Jayce Johnson (a better defensive rebounder and shot blocker than Sam or Joey), Koby McEwen (a big, athletic guard who looks to be a clear upgrade to Chartouny), two more big, athletic guards in Symir Torrence and Dexter Akanno, plus the return of Greg Elliott (a long, athletic guard). That doesn't take into account any defensive improvement by returning players.

Yet T-Rank projects MU's defensive ranking to fall to #60.

Maybe it's that Koby, Greg, Symir and Dexter are relative unknowns -- and the system assigns little value to their defense without more to go on. But we made a huge jump last season. And the new roster seems to be far stronger on the defensive end.

If the #60 defensive ranking turns out to be closer to #25, Marquette could be challenging Villanova for a Big East title once again.

I would argue your point about Sam being, at best, the 5th best defender.  Sam may have been slow of foot, but he was smart, savvy and one of our best defensive rebounders.  Certainly way better than Bailey and if you look at the foul issues Theo had, he might be better than he was.

I do agree with your overall premise, however, that I would anticipate that we will be ranked higher than 60 on the defensive side of the ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
I would argue your point about Sam being, at best, the 5th best defender.  Sam may have been slow of foot, but he was smart, savvy and one of our best defensive rebounders.  Certainly way better than Bailey and if you look at the foul issues Theo had, he might be better than he was.

I do agree with your overall premise, however, that I would anticipate that we will be ranked higher than 60 on the defensive side of the ball.

Bailey may have been the second best on-ball defender on the team, behind Sacar.    Sam was certainly a better defensive rebounder.     I have a clear image going back to November of Bailey guarding an opposing PG and picking him clean in the middle of the floor.    I can't remember having an on-ball defender who did that since Vander.     Bailey was who got put on Akinjo and McClung in DC.     Ja was too quick for him.    Ja was too quick for everybody.     But Bailey, having sat out two years, made himself invaluable defensively.   I look forward to seeing his improvement after an offseason in the weight room and in the gym. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
Bailey may have been the second best on-ball defender on the team, behind Sacar.    Sam was certainly a better defensive rebounder.     I have a clear image going back to November of Bailey guarding an opposing PG and picking him clean in the middle of the floor.    I can't remember having an on-ball defender who did that since Vander.     Bailey was who got put on Akinjo and McClung in DC.     Ja was too quick for him.    Ja was too quick for everybody.     But Bailey, having sat out two years, made himself invaluable defensively.   I look forward to seeing his improvement after an offseason in the weight room and in the gym.

As you stated the defensive rebounding is the issue.  Yes with potentially two bigs in the game at once it does not matter as much.  But when we have one big in the game (which I will assume will still be the majority of time) the forwards need to rebound and Bailey had trouble with that last year.  The biggest area he needs to improve defensively.