Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joey applied for waiver  (Read 71603 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Joey applied for waiver
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
Define fraudulent.

Look, this is why an appeals process exists. So that a (hopefully) independent panel can examine the facts and circumstances of an individual's case and make a reasonable decision as to whether the situation was such that the player deserves a waiver.
What you're advocating instead is a dumb, one-size-fits-all solution that fails to take into account that some players are forced to transfer for reasons beyond their control, and they shouldn't be punished as a result.

Your empathy for those suffering through depression is remarkable.

Agree 100% that a) one size fits all isn't usually an effective solution and b) depression is a very serious mental health issue that deserves consideration and empathy from the rule makers (and everyone else for that matter).

That said, when a door is opened, people who shouldn't walk through will try to nonetheless. "Special treatment" should be limited to verifiably special situations. Hope that's the case.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2019, 06:26:00 PM »
Fascinating.    I would still love to see (A) Joey's rationale for asking for it, and (B) what caused the NCAA to deny it.   

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2019/11/21/michigan-state-basketball-joey-hauser-eligibility-ncaa-appeal/4259356002/

Interesting that this article states the parents asked for the waiver when all previous articles stated MSU does it for everyone.

Also of note, Izzo, at the beginning, said this was a long shot so hard to understand his actions now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:32:53 PM by BallBoy »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »
Joey's transfer process makes as much sense as Joey's transfer:

1. 7/17/19 : "Hauser said Tuesday that he didn't apply for a transfer waiver to try to play this upcoming season."
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/mens-basketball/2019/07/17/joey-hauser-michigan-state-msu-basketball-transfer-marquette/1752512001/

2. 9/24/19 " Tom Izzo told reporters earlier today that Marquette transfer Joey Hauser has filed a waiver with the NCAA with the hope of earning immediate eligibility for Michigan State during the 2019-20 college basketball season."
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/d8slp6/tom_izzo_told_reporters_earlier_today_that/

3. 10/28/19 "Izzo says getting Hauser eligible "would really help some things right now." Also said he felt like it was a "no-brainer" at one point that he would not be eligible, but sees how many are being approved."
https://newnationnews.org/michigan/msu-hc-tom-izzo-sounds-distaste-transfer-portal-rules-regulations-08448406

4. 11/21/19  "Joey did have a strong case," Izzo said Thursday. "And I am devastated, if you want to know the truth."

So it went from Joey wasn't even going to apply- to joey applied but izzo thought it would be a no-brainer it would be  denied- to Izzo is devastated that it was denied.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #228 on: November 21, 2019, 06:56:24 PM »
Wonder what that big secret “strong case” was.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2019, 07:14:42 PM »
They make it like he was kidnapped and missed his senior year.

He enrolled and got D1 rehab.

You can’t have it both ways.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
https://michiganstate.rivals.com/news/ncaa-denies-hauser-immediate-eligibility-izzo-disgusted?yptr=yahoo

It looks like that originally, no one thought there was one.    Then, the Hausers saw everybody applying for an getting one, so they gave it a whirl.    They thought they had as good a case as a lot of the other ones granted.    Izzo resigned because of his disgust with the lack of consistency and the feeling that it is arbitrary. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2019, 07:18:01 PM »
The burden is a lot higher than that.

Understood
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
https://michiganstate.rivals.com/news/ncaa-denies-hauser-immediate-eligibility-izzo-disgusted?yptr=yahoo

It looks like that originally, no one thought there was one.    Then, the Hausers saw everybody applying for an getting one, so they gave it a whirl.    They thought they had as good a case as a lot of the other ones granted.    Izzo resigned because of his disgust with the lack of consistency and the feeling that it is arbitrary.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28131369/tom-izzo-leaves-board-ncaa-denies-waiver-joey-hauser
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »

When Hauser transferred to Michigan State, there were no plans to pursue immediate eligibility.

“I didn’t think anything of it in August, because we weren’t going to do anything,” Izzo said. “And then when they’re family brought up that it’s going on at different places, and seeing what’s going on and talking to some coaches, I’m devastated that he will have to sit out his second season in three years.”

Yet, Sam didn't apply? Odd all the way around.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
Define fraudulent.

Look, this is why an appeals process exists. So that a (hopefully) independent panel can examine the facts and circumstances of an individual's case and make a reasonable decision as to whether the situation was such that the player deserves a waiver.
What you're advocating instead is a dumb, one-size-fits-all solution that fails to take into account that some players are forced to transfer for reasons beyond their control, and they shouldn't be punished as a result.

In my mind yours is just as dumb because the consistency is so random.  X gets a waiver, but Y doesn’t and the differences are subjective.

Different case managers review different cases.  Look, I get that this is hard and there are legit folks that need to be considered.  When I say fraudulent, I mean players trying to scam the system, lying about the situation, having doctors that will say anything to get a ruling / write a script, etc.  Cuz people going to do what they do.

Not cut and dried, on that I will agree.  You tend to be a believer in folks and it’s ok if a few scammers get through.  I tend to be a more reward the true, absolute provable folks that need it to limit the fraudsters.  I suspect we are the same with a bunch of other qualifications when it comes to benefits, resources, etc.  I look at it in terms of who is damaged...including the existing team that the player is leaving, especially of the player is lying their arse off.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
So it went from Joey wasn't even going to apply- to joey applied but izzo thought it would be a no-brainer it would be  denied- to Izzo is devastated that it was denied.

Joey must be tearing it up at practice, ai'na?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
In my mind yours is just as dumb because the consistency is so random.  X gets a waiver, but Y doesn’t and the differences are subjective.

Different case managers review different cases.  Look, I get that this is hard and there are legit folks that need to be considered.  When I say fraudulent, I mean players trying to scam the system, lying about the situation, having doctors that will say anything to get a ruling / write a script, etc.  Cuz people going to do what they do.

Not cut and dried, on that I will agree.  You tend to be a believer in folks and it’s ok if a few scammers get through.  I tend to be a more reward the true, absolute provable folks that need it to limit the fraudsters.  I suspect we are the same with a bunch of other qualifications when it comes to benefits, resources, etc.  I look at it in terms of who is damaged...including the existing team that the player is leaving, especially of the player is lying their arse off.

Yeah I’m going to say there are very, very, very few doctors who will risk their medical license to help a college athlete become immediately eligible after a transfer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
Yeah I’m going to say there are very, very, very few doctors who will risk their medical license to help a college athlete become immediately eligible after a transfer.
probably dr. Nasser from Msu

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #239 on: November 21, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
probably dr. Nasser from Msu

While Vanilla Soft Serve may have the right parts for Nassar, he’s too old.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
Ummm , i say fvck joey hauser and izzo too
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
Ummm , i say fvck joey hauser and izzo too

If Joey didn’t leave we wouldn’t have Dawson.

Granted, if Joey never came we might still have Sam and Dawson.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »
Yes, Izzo sounds like a jerk. But he is right: The thing is arbitrary.

I don't think athletes should have to sit out a year when they transfer, just as the scholarship tuba player, scholarship ballerina and scholarship newspaper editor don't. But the way the NCAA offers waivers, in their typically inept NCAA way, is ridiculous.

That being said, I don't feel "sorry" for Joey Hauser, a crybaby who helped undermine what at the time was a great season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »

I don't think athletes should have to sit out a year when they transfer, just as the scholarship tuba player, scholarship ballerina and scholarship newspaper editor don't. But the way the NCAA offers waivers, in their typically inept NCAA way, is ridiculous.

That being said, I don't feel "sorry" for Joey Hauser, a crybaby who helped undermine what at the time was a great season.
Does that tuba player get a full ride scolie at his next school?  Unlikely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2019, 09:49:53 PM »

I don't know nuthin' about how music students get their schollies. But I do know that a lot of schools -- including Marquette -- give full rides to the editor of their school newspaper, and I highly doubt that somebody who leaves Iowa to go to Marquette and be the editor at the school newspaper would be denied the scholarship and/or forced to sit out a year.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:54:14 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »

Izzo is the scum of the earth.  The coaches should have kicked his ass off of their board years ago. 

Caught cheating:  Check
Caught covering up rapes: Check
Faux outrage over this appeal: Check

Joe Paterno had less transgressions.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »

Nope and the tuba player isn’t on tv, in a league, with thousands of people caring about them.  There are no record books going back 100 years on how Th e Tuba player played, etc.   The comparisons are ridiculous, I don’t know why people keep making them.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »
I don't like that Izzo just resigned like that. He should have written a letter first.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »

You can find doctors to write notes for all kinds of stuff...called doctor shopping. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2019, 10:50:14 PM »
I don't know nuthin' about how music students get their schollies. But I do know that a lot of schools -- including Marquette -- give full rides to the editor of their school newspaper, and I highly doubt that somebody who leaves Iowa to go to Marquette and be the editor at the school newspaper would be denied the scholarship and/or forced to sit out a year.

Marquette doesn't promote from within? They bring in a transfer from Iowa to run things? There outta be a law,,,

feedback