[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joey applied for waiver  (Read 71582 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Joey applied for waiver
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »

Everyone sits for one year, be consistent, stop the nonsense and making the Grey area where everyone bitches.

I thought the NCAA proposal to allow immediate eligibility if a certain GPA were attained made sense, but the initial proposal of a 3.3 was too high and people like Goodman, Parrish and Goodman complained so the Condi Rice commission caved.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
Is it possible for him to claim that after the letter he was "runoff" or that playing for MU lead to depression?

He can claim anything he wants, but arguing that he was run off because the coach didn't bend to his tactical demands wouldn't seem particularly effective.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »
He could show the NCAA a video of Markus yelling in his face and making him cry on the court in front of 15,000 fans and a National TV audience.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
He could show the NCAA a video of Markus yelling in his face and making him cry on the court in front of 15,000 fans and a National TV audience.
I thought that was Izzo and Henry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »

What game was that?  I remember Joey staring in the distance as Markus was trying to motivate him.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »

Curious if you say at DePaul.  Chick and I were courtside and witnessed his Team Captain (Markus) get up in his grill attempting to get him to wipe a 'sorry for himself' look off his face and get his head in the game.  I, for one, loved it.

I also loved said Team Captain congratulatory chest bumping young Jamal Cain who brought his A game that day when the team had faced foul trouble and he was forced to play major minutes.  Jamal had struggled in previous games but was important that night and his captain let him know it.... and he absolutely appreciated it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
Yes, it was the DePaul game.  And I loved what Markus was doing too.  But that was the day I started seeing Joey as a big crybaby.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
I thought the NCAA proposal to allow immediate eligibility if a certain GPA were attained made sense, but the initial proposal of a 3.3 was too high and people like Goodman, Parrish and Goodman complained so the Condi Rice commission caved.

I still say pass.  A 3.3 or fill in the blank GPA for ______ Studies is different than a 3.3 in Marketing or Biology or Engineering or Computer Science.  Penalizing kids for majoring in tougher academic fields.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2019, 04:25:24 PM »
Not sure if this link will work or not but my Michigan St friends are bitching cuz Markus is on the committee so they think he blocked it. Obviously he’s a non voting member but they think he influenced the others. Him and Matt Painter.

I’m loving the Michigan St tears

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1MBBOVERSIGH&fbclid=IwAR2trPZSmtX4q7mL7JcNsJSijBedrsAbEYOoB0EH7FAhl3hagFe6y9SnzZc

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:31:16 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »
Not sure if this link will work or not but my Michigan St friends are bitching cuz Markus is in the committee so they think he blocked it. Obviously he’s a non voting member but they think he influenced the others. Him and Matt Painter.

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1MBBOVERSIGH&fbclid=IwAR2trPZSmtX4q7mL7JcNsJSijBedrsAbEYOoB0EH7FAhl3hagFe6y9SnzZc

Lol.  Matt Painter loves him some Marquette!  Blocks Joey from being able to play right away, blows a game at MU so Dawson comes to MU and he doesn't see him in the B1G every year at IU.  Awesome!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2019, 04:35:13 PM »
Lol.  Matt Painter loves him some Marquette!  Blocks Joey from being able to play right away, blows a game at MU so Dawson comes to MU and he doesn't see him in the B1G every year at IU.  Awesome!

I think we know who is gonna replace Wojo...setting his own table.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
I still say pass.  A 3.3 or fill in the blank GPA for ______ Studies is different than a 3.3 in Marketing or Biology or Engineering or Computer Science.  Penalizing kids for majoring in tougher academic fields.

I was fine with 2.6 since that's the threshold to get a APR point back for a transfer. 3.3 was too high. My thought was the committee was throwing that out there to look more charitable when they came back and said "ok, 3.0" or whatever. Instead, Condi and the committee caved to media pressure.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
Everyone sits for one year, be consistent, stop the nonsense and making the Grey area where everyone bitches.

So a kid who can show he was mistreated or cut loose should be required to sit a year?
Makes sense.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2019, 04:42:47 PM »
Not sure if this link will work or not but my Michigan St friends are bitching cuz Markus is on the committee so they think he blocked it. Obviously he’s a non voting member but they think he influenced the others. Him and Matt Painter.

This isn't the appeals committee that would have heard and decided the case. But if it were both Painter and Markus would have had to recused themselves.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
Yes, it was the DePaul game.  And I loved what Markus was doing too.  But that was the day I started seeing Joey as a big crybaby.

It was truly awesome.  Joey had been playing like crap and missing free throws and was totally down in the dumps.  DePaul was doing more than just hanging around and Markus legitimately (and correctly) believed the 6'9" SPASH superstar needed a kick in the ass.  He wasn't derogatory and he didn't get personal and insult his mom.  He told a effin' Freshman what it took to win at this level, that he was central to his team's effort, and to get his head right.  All done from about a full head lower.  Beautiful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »

Painter had nothing to do with it. And these decisions don't have to be unanimous.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »
So a kid who can show he was mistreated or cut loose should be required to sit a year?
Makes sense.
Agreed. Sitting for a year automatically does no good for anyone. Just need more transparency and consistency in the process.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
Too bad.  Should have been granted.

either you are in a real trolling mood or just weird.  akay-i'm grabbin me some popcorn and i'll sit back and listen
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
either you are in a real trolling mood or just weird.  akay-i'm grabbin me some popcorn and i'll sit back and listen

I’ve said many times that I don’t believe students should have to wait a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
Makes sense.

Define mistreatment.  He called me a naughty name?  He made me feel small?  He said I sucked or was a kitten?  He hit me? He made me run 10X the other players?   The range is huge, what bothers one person doesn’t another, some coaches truly are abusive while in other cases entitled kid cannot take even the most mild form of criticism.

People need to stop
Whining when the NCAA says your sudden bout of depression that never existed and magically came up and can only be solved if you transfer to these three schools, too.  Way too much abuse and fraud going on.

How about this...NCAA finds you are fraudulent, you sit out TWO years.  I’d be on board with that to curtail the crap side going on

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
Define mistreatment.  He called me a naughty name?  He made me feel small?  He said I sucked or was a kitten?  He hit me? He made me run 10X the other players?   The range is huge, what bothers one person doesn’t another, some coaches truly are abusive while in other cases entitled kid cannot take even the most mild form of criticism.

People need to stop
Whining when the NCAA says your sudden bout of depression that never existed and magically came up and can only be solved if you transfer to these three schools, too.  Way too much abuse and fraud going on.

How about this...NCAA finds you are fraudulent, you sit out TWO years.  I’d be on board with that to curtail the crap side going on

Is it mistreatment if a coach punches a player?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »

Still waiting for someone with knowledge to tell me why the Hausers left. No speculation please and I don't have time to FOIL Joey's application.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »

People need to stop

Define fraudulent.

Look, this is why an appeals process exists. So that a (hopefully) independent panel can examine the facts and circumstances of an individual's case and make a reasonable decision as to whether the situation was such that the player deserves a waiver.
What you're advocating instead is a dumb, one-size-fits-all solution that fails to take into account that some players are forced to transfer for reasons beyond their control, and they shouldn't be punished as a result.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:48:03 PM by Pakuni »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Don’t feed it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2019, 05:30:41 PM »

People need to stop

The burden is a lot higher than that.