[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joey applied for waiver  (Read 71629 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Joey applied for waiver
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
Could be not just retroactively apply for a medical redshirt and have this entire point be moot?

You can't apply for a "medical redshirt" until you complete your initial eligibility.  And the issue is that he would rather play this season than play an extra season down the line anyway.  But if this isn't successful, undoubtedly he will apply for a medical redshirt unless he turns pro.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:53:45 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »
I don't disagree, but sometimes people make mistakes when they are 17-18 years old without realizing what the consequences will be. If he ends up wanting to play 4 years and that "straight to the NBA" plan doesn't work out, I think he should be able to. I could be in the minority on that, and that's fine.

Some of this is true in ordinary circumstances, but Joey's circumstances were not ordinary. This particular 17/18-year-old has two parents who were college athletes and two older siblings were were college athletes at the time he made his decision. He can't present a valid argument that he wasn't fully informed of the consequences, was naive to the long-term ramifications or taken advantage of by an unscrupulous Marquette coaching staff.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
So what is your point? Joey/Sam will be forever linked to Wojo, who blew the whole fiasco, because of his inability to handle the situation.....and now wait for it....here come the Wojo worshippers...to his defense...in 3..2..1

No one brought up Wojo until you did
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »

You can't apply for a "medical redshirt" until you complete your initial eligibility.  And the issue is that he would rather play this season than play an extra season down the line anyway.  But if this isn't successful, undoubtedly he will apply for a medical redshirt unless he turns pro.
Maybe his argument is that he didn't play the second half of this season, so he should be aqble to only have to sit out a semester

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Maybe his argument is that he didn't play the second half of this season, so he should be aqble to only have to sit out a semester

He only played on one side of the floor.  So it's KINDA like playing half a season right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
I'd caution anyone against judging Joey's motives or character. He hasn't said anything publicly about his or Sam's reasons for transferring. Neither has anybody else who's involved.

Here's all Wojo had to offer:

"If you would have asked me the day after our season ended if they wouldn't be here next year, I would tell you I would be very, very surprised...But being in this business long enough, I guess nothing should surprise you. I wish them nothing but the best. I hope they find what they are looking for."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/05/09/marquette-coach-steve-wojciechowski-talks-hausers-transfers/1150669001/

Here are a few excerpts from more extensive comments by Scott Anderson, Joey's former coach at Stevens Point Area Senior High:

"I was surprised. Knowing the boys as long as I have, things have gone very well for them in Marquette and they've enjoyed their time there. But in talking with them recently, I think that they are just looking forward and feel like what they have left in their college career that they want to do it at a different place."

"They never said that there was any dissatisfaction in style of play...They have their reasons and I think people have to be respectful of that."

"This wasn't a spur of the moment kind of thing or an emotional decision. They waited until after the season, and they feel that they're doing the right thing that's best for them."

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

I don't see any need to disparage Joey's talent, either. He clearly needs to work on his defense and decision-making (22.3% TORate per KenPom). But he's a good passer (15.2% Assist Rate) with a pretty good handle for his size and shows an array of advanced moves inside. What really sets him apart is his outside shooting.

Only 3 players in all of Division I who are 6-9 or taller shot better from three-point range than Joey did in 2018-19:

Rapolas Ivanauskas  Colgate  6-10/225  So  43.3%
Bennie Boatwright  USC  6-10/235  Sr  42.9%
Aric Holman  Mississippi State  6-10/225  Sr  42.9%
Joey Hauser  Marquette  6-9/230  Fr  42.5%

That is what makes Joey special. He has truly elite shooting ability for his size -- something Henry Ellenson lacked. Joey has the potential to stretch the court in ways other players can't. Wojo knows it, which is why Joey almost immediately stepped into the starting lineup. Izzo knows it, which is why he recruited Joey so heavily. It's also the main reason Joey will get looks from NBA scouts: He's a big with dangerous range.

As for Wojo's role, I agree that it's his program. And it's hard to understate the impact of losing two starters. But the fact is that every program loses players. Good and bad. There were more than 700 transfers in 2019 -- about 1 in every 6 players across all of Division I men's basketball. Does that mean Jay Wright mishandled the situation when former 5-star recruit Jahvon Quinerly left Villanova?

For whatever reason, Joey wasn't the right fit at Marquette. I'm over it. I'm willing to wish him the best. It's past time to move on; a new season has begun. MU basketball will be just fine without him.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
I'd caution anyone against judging Joey's motives or character. He hasn't said anything publicly about his or Sam's reasons for transferring. Neither has anybody else who's involved.

"If you would have asked me the day after our season ended if they wouldn't be here next year, I would tell you I would be very, very surprised...But being in this business long enough, I guess nothing should surprise you. I wish them nothing but the best. I hope they find what they are looking for."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/05/09/marquette-coach-steve-wojciechowski-talks-hausers-transfers/1150669001/

Here are a few excerpts from more extensive comments by Scott Anderson, Joey's former coach at Stevens Point Area Senior High:

"I was surprised. Knowing the boys as long as I have, things have gone very well for them in Marquette and they've enjoyed their time there. But in talking with them recently, I think that they are just looking forward and feel like what they have left in their college career that they want to do it at a different place."

"They never said that there was any dissatisfaction in style of play...They have their reasons and I think people have to be respectful of that."

"This wasn't a spur of the moment kind of thing or an emotional decision. They waited until after the season, and they feel that they're doing the right thing that's best for them."

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/2019/04/16/marquette-shocker-hausers-seek-better-fit-former-spash-coach-says/3481168002/

I don't see any need to disparage Joey's talent, either. He clearly needs to work on his defense and decision-making (22.3% TORate per KenPom). But he's a good passer (15.2% Assist Rate) with a pretty good handle for his size and shows an array of advanced moves inside. What really sets him apart is his outside shooting.

Only 3 players in all of Division I who are 6-9 or taller shot better from three-point range than Joey did in 2018-19:

That is what makes Joey special. He has truly elite shooting ability for his size -- something Henry Ellenson lacked. Joey has the potential to stretch the court in ways other players can't. Wojo knows it, which is why Joey almost immediately stepped into the starting lineup. Izzo knows it, which is why he recruited Joey so heavily. It's also the main reason Joey will get looks from NBA scouts: He's a big with dangerous range.

As for Wojo's role, I agree that it's his program. And it's hard to understate the impact of losing two starters. But the fact is that every program loses players. Good and bad. There were more than 700 transfers in 2019 -- about 1 in every 6 players across all of Division I men's basketball. Does that mean Jay Wright mishandled the situation when former 5-star recruit Jahvon Quinerly left Villanova?

For whatever reason, Joey wasn't the right fit at Marquette. I'm over it. I'm willing to wish him the best. It's past time to move on; a new season has begun. MU basketball will be just fine without him.

Outstanding post, M92.

The thing that I (and a few other Scoopers, if I've read them right) regret is that Sam was kind of caught in "friendly fire" in all of this. Had Joey selected Michigan State from the get-go, Sam almost certainly would be finishing his career at Marquette.

Of course, then the Wojo-haters would have ripped him for failing to sign Sam's brother, but that's a whole 'nother deal.

Made me laugh out loud, though the teal was unnecessary!

Some would call this an "attack" on a "kid," but it's just a joke, one that hurts nobody.

I don't disagree, but sometimes people make mistakes when they are 17-18 years old without realizing what the consequences will be. If he ends up wanting to play 4 years and that "straight to the NBA" plan doesn't work out, I think he should be able to. I could be in the minority on that, and that's fine.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if he gets an extra season at MSU. It will have zero affect to me or Marquette, so why would I care? In general, I'm on the side of the athlete-student.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

I will happily watch Joey light up the Badgers.  Hope the folks wear his Spartans jersey with one saying “Silent”, the other saying “Verbal” to the Trohl Center
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
nelsonhaha.gif

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2019, 04:01:51 PM »
Meh.  I thought it was a mistake when it happened, and I don't feel any differently now.  He may get a waiver when that time comes, and I think he'd have a decent case to make to the NCAA.  He was never going to play in what ended up being his "freshman" year.  But Joey went into it with his eyes wide open.  To insinuate that he didn't know what the consequences of that would be if/when his game didn't translate to high major basketball as well as he hoped, is well....ridiculous.  I am not directing that comment at you, specifically, Brew. IMO, if he doesn't get the waiver, that is fully on him and his family for making a dumb decision.

Some of this is true in ordinary circumstances, but Joey's circumstances were not ordinary. This particular 17/18-year-old has two parents who were college athletes and two older siblings were were college athletes at the time he made his decision. He can't present a valid argument that he wasn't fully informed of the consequences, was naive to the long-term ramifications or taken advantage of by an unscrupulous Marquette coaching staff.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I just think this is a case where a kid made a decision that didn't work out, the benefit he received for his "redshirt" year was likely marginal compared to most students, and there's no harm in him getting a sixth year. I think it would be harsh to refuse that if he ends up trying to play out his eligibility.

That said...no reason whatsoever he should be allowed to play next year based on everything we know.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I just think this is a case where a kid made a decision that didn't work out, the benefit he received for his "redshirt" year was likely marginal compared to most students, and there's no harm in him getting a sixth year. I think it would be harsh to refuse that if he ends up trying to play out his eligibility.

That said...no reason whatsoever he should be allowed to play next year based on everything we know.
I would agree with these takes.  Suspect he would have a strong case for a sixth year, though I don’t  think he would want to do that unless he has further injuries or whatever else might happen in the meantime.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
Could be not just retroactively apply for a medical redshirt and have this entire point be moot?

you can only get a "medical redshirt" if you played and were injured within the NCAA's timeline requirements.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2019, 04:23:35 PM »

that's an extension of eligibility waiver. You have to have had two years of denied participation due circumstances outside of your control.  That means two season-ending injuries, personal hardship or, during your freshman year, having sat out due to the coach's decision.  Right now Joey does not qualify.

This is Michigan State just throwing something against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »

Fvck the Hausers!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
that's an extension of eligibility waiver. You have to have had two years of denied participation due circumstances outside of your control.  That means two season-ending injuries, personal hardship or, during your freshman year, having sat out due to the coach's decision.  Right now Joey does not qualify.

This is Michigan State just throwing something against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Can he argue that he was "denied participation" in that first year because of an injury?  Does it matter that he was already injured when he came?  If he had come to Marquette without the injury and was participating in practices that spring (if that's even allowed...I have no idea), would it change anything if he was injured after arriving on campus?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
The other thing that doesn't quite sit right with me is the idea that Joey "quit" his team. Does that mean everyone who decides to transfer -- which would include Marquette players such as Robert Jackson, Jamil Wilson, Andrew Rowsey, Koby McEwen, et al -- "quit" on their former teammates?

As stated before, more than 700 players in Division I transferred this year. They exercised their right to decide what's best for them and seek out better opportunities. I may not like it when talented players leave the MU program. But it's not my choice. It's a personal decision.

Using the word "quit" seems like an unfair and loaded connotation -- especially when none of Joey's coaches or teammates have said anything of the sort.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 04:33:43 PM by Marcus92 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
The other thing that doesn't quite sit right with me is the idea that Joey "quit" his team. Does that mean everyone who decides to transfer -- which would include Marquette players such as Robert Jackson, Jamil Wilson, Andrew Rowsey, Koby McEwen, et al -- "quit" on their former teammates?

Fans of Oregon, UNC-Ashville and Utah State would probably say yes. Mississippi State, maybe not. RJax was basically shown the door.
Ff course fans are going to be pissy about a kid who transfers.
Who cares? None of it matters. Joey is doing just fine and doesn't need people protecting him from the 'q' word.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »

#FakeNews
#Lies

What people call a 'medical redshirt' is a medical hardship waiver. You can apply for it after the season in which you had the incapacitating injury.

That's not the matter at hand for Joey.

What he MAY try to do in a few years (hard to imagine this scenario playing out, but...) is apply for a 5-Year Rule Waiver. The criteria require that he missed two or more years due to circumstances outside of his control. The problem is he doesn't fit the criteria because he's missing 2019-20 because of his own decision to transfer. NONETHELESS, the NCAA has occasionally said, 'eff our bylaws, we're going to give a waiver of the waiver... anything goes!'... but that's down the line.

What they would be trying to do now is make some sort of plea that he *had* to leave MU and therefore shouldn't have to sit out this coming year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2019, 12:28:29 AM »

As stated before, more than 700 players in Division I transferred this year. They exercised their right to decide what's best for them and seek out better opportunities. I may not like it when talented players leave the MU program. But it's not my choice. It's a personal decision.

Using the word "quit" seems like an unfair and loaded connotation -- especially when none of Joey's coaches or teammates have said anything of the sort.
There was a 'quit' factor' on the choice of 'the team' or choosing 'the family' and or future fame over the team success. Nothing wrong with that I guess. But it wasn't grades, and it wasn't that the coaches as far as i know. Hell, both of the brothers played major roles on the team. That would be my biggest disappointment is if this came down to them not liking how Wojo handled the team. . . over them.

Wojo HAS TO WIN. MAN! Markus is a winner and a shot maker too and will be one of the all time leading scorers in Marquette, Big East and CBB history. You can't expect Wojo to tell him to pass the ball! Come on now...so if that was the reason, that was not good.   

On the outside looking in, it was a big mistake if you consider the fast track. But it was there's to make. To me, this was not a grass is greener on the other side thing.

Neither will get any better or worse going somewhere else or do any better than they could have it they stayed right here at MU when you look at the team they could have had returning if they stayed. 

They were in an ideal situation where they were winning, both were starters, playing with your younger brother in front of your parents, and being major cogs in the team, and at worse #2 or #3 option 'go to' guys, in their hometown, just a game or two away from a Championship the next few years with the Pro prospects right on the horizon.

What more could you ask for? Markus Howard to shoot less and pass more so you can? Well, that is fine and good but then then you lose more games and no one cares who you are. Both great young men and I wish them well and will always be a fan no matter where and when they land on their future teams.

Both can play and went as a package deal. But now they are both split up and have to wait another year.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:43:24 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »
Odartey Blankson's transfer following the 2001-02 season is the only one I can think of that's even close to the Hauser's decision.

Odartey was part of a strong recruiting class of 2000 -- which also included Dwyane Wade, Scott Merritt and Terry Sanders. Marquette struggled to a 15-14 (9-7) record that year in Tom Crean's second season as head coach. Blankson was one of the highlights. He started 28 games as a freshman, averaging 6.1 ppg and 5.5 rpg and earning a reputation as a tough, versatile defender.

The next year, Wade emerged as a star and the team vaulted to 26-7 (13-3). Blankson started 27 games and averaged 8.4 ppg (third best on the team) and 6.2 rpg. While the team would lose senior starters Cordell Henry and Oluoma Nnamaka, the returning core of Wade, Blankson, Merritt, Sanders, Travis Diener and Todd Townsend looked ready to take the next step.

Then Blankson announced his decision to transfer. Crean's press release stated that "he is looking for a more prominent role." Blankson added, "I've enjoyed my time at Marquette and feel good about the contributions that I've made."

Marquette advanced to the Final Four the next season. After sitting out that year, Blankson became the leading scorer and rebounder for the UNLV Rebels -- which didn't even make the postseason in either of his seasons there. He went on to a successful pro career in Europe.

As a fan, I still wonder how much better that Final Four team might have been with Blankson on the roster. I can't imagine what Odartey was thinking. But whether or not I understand or agree with it is completely beside the point; it was his decision to make, and he believed it was the right thing to do.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
Odartey Blankson's transfer following the 2001-02 season is the only one I can think of that's even close to the Hauser's decision.

Dameon Mason transferred after playing 30 mpg as a sophomore.
Perhaps he feared losing playing time to the three amigos coming in the following year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »
Wojo went out and got Jayce, and Symir reclassified.      The Hausers were great shooters and Sam was a leader.    I don't know who would argue differently.     But the 19-20 team has the potential to overcome their departures.     Which is more than most thought in April when the news broke.   Wojo deserves credit for that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
Can he argue that he was "denied participation" in that first year because of an injury?  Does it matter that he was already injured when he came?  If he had come to Marquette without the injury and was participating in practices that spring (if that's even allowed...I have no idea), would it change anything if he was injured after arriving on campus?

Yes, but that wouldn't get him immediate eligibility. It would only help him get a 6th year if he misses another year due to injury.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
Yes, but that wouldn't get him immediate eligibility. It would only help him get a 6th year if he misses another year due to injury.

Right.  That's what I was referring to.  Like pretty much everyone else, I don't see anything here that would give him immediate eligibility.  I suspect that's just an MSU thing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »

Odartey was part of a strong recruiting class of 2000 -- which also included Dwyane Wade, Scott Merritt and Terry Sanders. Marquette struggled to a 15-14 (9-7) record that year in Tom Crean's second season as head coach. Blankson was one of the highlights. He started 28 games as a freshman, averaging 6.1 ppg and 5.5 rpg and earning a reputation as a tough, versatile defender.

The next year, Wade emerged as a star and the team vaulted to 26-7 (13-3). Blankson started 27 games and averaged 8.4 ppg (third best on the team) and 6.2 rpg. While the team would lose senior starters Cordell Henry and Oluoma Nnamaka, the returning core of Wade, Blankson, Merritt, Sanders, Travis Diener and Todd Townsend looked ready to take the next step.

Then Blankson announced his decision to transfer. Crean's press release stated that "he is looking for a more prominent role." Blankson added, "I've enjoyed my time at Marquette and feel good about the contributions that I've made."

Marquette advanced to the Final Four the next season. After sitting out that year, Blankson became the leading scorer and rebounder for the UNLV Rebels -- which didn't even make the postseason in either of his seasons there. He went on to a successful pro career in Europe.

As a fan, I still wonder how much better that Final Four team might have been with Blankson on the roster. I can't imagine what Odartey was thinking. But whether or not I understand or agree with it is completely beside the point; it was his decision to make, and he believed it was the right thing to do.

ODB got jealous of Wade (he was the higher rated player when they signed, before Wade blew up as a senior) and his brother, who played at LUC, got in his ear and convinced him he was being frozen out and he should leave. ODB once told a UNLV recruit during an OV that his biggest regret was leaving MU.

MU *may* have been even better in 02-03 with ODB on the roster but maybe not. Team chemistry was huge on that team. Todd Townsend was an excellent piece at the three to complement the starters.

As for Mason, he thought he was better than he really was, alienated his teammates and staff and checked out before the end of the season and decided to leave to show he could be the star. He thought he was going to be the next Wade and when he wasn't he blamed his MU teammates and coaches.