[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joey applied for waiver  (Read 71595 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Joey applied for waiver
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »
Five year clock rule
If you follow the link in the article, it says Izzo does not believe Joey will get the waiver to play immediately but expects Joey to play 3 years for MSU. Only way that happens is to contest the first year that he was in school and push for a medical waiver to get year 6.

Don't trust mlive articles.

You don't ax for a Five Year Rule Waiver until your time has been exhausted. He's asking for immediate eligibility.

Who knows all the claims and pleas that may come up. 'they made me come there early after a weird injury', etc... but, that's what this is about. It's not a 5 year rule waiver thing. It's a now thing.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
This thread is embarrassing

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
Feel sorry for the kid. He's been unhappy and quit on his high school and college team. He has to live with being labeled a "quitter."

TIL a broken ankle is "Quitting"

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:32:45 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:23 PM »
Mentioned here...https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2019/09/24/michigan-state-basketball-tom-izzo-practice/2432313001/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2019/09/24/michigan-state-spartans-joshua-langford-returns-basketball-court/2432511001/

I did not mean this as a thread to bash Joey.   I am just trying to figure out what the rationale is.

Plea is who the hell knows. Reason is the NCAA has made bizarro decisions, worth a try. Especially in a changing environment.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »

Yep. People here seem to never tire of ripping the Hausers. Much of it either nonsensical or made up.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
Joey who?

My thoughts exactly.  I'll treat him like every other MSU player; hope he tears it up against UW-extension Madison, don't really care what he does the rest of the year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 09:37:55 PM »
The Baby Hauser quit on his team at Marquette. He didn't get his rattle so he ran out on his teammates. The Baby Hauser let them down pure and simple. He can transfer, but by gosh, follow the rules.

If the Baby Hauser didn't want to be here, he should not have come to Marquette.

Once you make a decision, you live with the ramifications. That's true in the real world and the Baby Hauser will find that out over and over again. Only going forward, Mommy and Daddy won't be able to bail you out. That's life Baby Hauser. Get used to it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
Yep. People here seem to never tire of ripping the Hausers. Much of it either nonsensical or made up.

Just the Hausers?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:54 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »

Joey simply does not matter to Marquette basketball now. Which means, in the context of me being a Marquette basketball fan, he doesn't matter to me. I don't dislike him, don't wish him ill will at all. I merely do not care about his basketball career now any more than I care about Jack Hoiberg, Brock Washington or any other Spartan.

Sam, I was a little more emotionally invested in. Three nice years as a Warrior, a kid who worked his butt off to make our team better. The shot he hit against Creighton is one of my favorite MU hoops memories from recent years. I didn't like the way his time at Marquette ended, but again I wish him no ill will. But he chose not to be a Warrior, so that's that.

Joey and Sam can go on to greatness at MSU and Va ... or not. Either way, it won't affect me one iota unless they meet Marquette in the tournament.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
Joey who?

Mike,

Joey the guy you've written hundreds (thousands?) of words about since his transfer. Guess you forgot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
Nope.

So why the pearl clutching over the Hausers?
The cheap shots are dumb. But only slightly more so than the "how dare you speak ill of those fine young men" routine.
Newsflash - fans generally don't show much love to players who choose to leave their teams ... unless, you know, they're bad.
It's not exactly shocking.  I'm far more surprised by the urge some have here to stick up for them against any slight, real or imagined.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 10:16:00 PM »
So why the pearl clutching over the Hausers?
The cheap shots are dumb. But only slightly more so than the "how dare you speak ill of those fine young men" routine.
Newsflash - fans generally don't show much love to players who choose to leave their teams ... unless, you know, they're bad.
It's not exactly shocking.

Pearl clutching? Saying "How dare you"...Really? That's more than a little over the top.

Since when is setting the record straight when people say dumb or provably false things a crime. You do it rather frequently and in general I applaud you. Don't want to call out morons who claim Joey H quit on his HS team when he broke his ankle? Fine, no problem. But why rip those who do?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
Don't trust mlive articles.

You don't ax for a Five Year Rule Waiver until your time has been exhausted. He's asking for immediate eligibility.

Who knows all the claims and pleas that may come up. 'they made me come there early after a weird injury', etc... but, that's what this is about. It's not a 5 year rule waiver thing. It's a now thing.

he is petitioning that his first year shouldn’t count towards eligibility because he couldn’t participate and mostly that he was misinformed on the impact to his eligibility

Jay Bee has it right. He is petitioning for immediate eligibility. That has nothing to do with his "first year" and whether it counts or not.

There is next to no reason the NCAA would allow such a waiver.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
Pearl clutching? Saying "How dare you"...Really? That's more than a little over the top.

Since when is setting the record straight when people say dumb or provably false things a crime. You do it rather frequently and in general I applaud you. Don't want to call out morons who claim Joey H quit on his HS team when he broke his ankle? Fine, no problem. But why rip those who do?

Well, in that case, Joey didn’t break his ankle...more so, this article doesn’t help his case much. Izzo doesn’t seem too confident either on the request.

https://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/marquette-golden-eagles-joey-hauser.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 10:28:49 PM »
I’m just shocked that, after the meat summit men told us that the decision of the Hausers was met with nearly universal applause from the team, only Joey and Sam left.

Beyond that it is hysterical that the Hausers somehow feel Joey has some grounds to stand on in order to be eligible to play right away.

Decisions have consequences. Transferring is a decision. Sitting out a year is the consequence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
Well, in that case, Joey didn’t break his ankle...

Sorry, tore ligaments that required surgery - much different. Guess he did quit on his high school team.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »

Yeah, there's definitely some pearl clutching going on here. Not necessarily by you.
Whether Joey quit on his high school team is a matter of opinion. I would say not. Others could point out that rather than stick around and support his high school teammates in whatever way he could, he bolted for Milwaukee to get an early jump on his college experience. I might not make that argument, but it's wrong to suggest that his injury caused him to leave his team.

But, again, back the point ... why is anyone taken aback by hard feelings for a couple of guys who left a team with legit Final 4 potential to chase their best interests as individuals? I'd be more surprised if there weren't hard feelings. And I'm definitely surprised that some here feel the need to defend them. I haven't ripped them, insulted them, called them selfish, etc., but I'm sure as heck not going to stick up for two guys who sunk what could have been the best MU team in 15+ years. Makes me wonder why anyone here would.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:49:49 PM by Pakuni »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »
Sorry, tore ligaments that required surgery - much different. Guess he did quit on his high school team.

Well, you went into a tear about “setting the record straight”.   A cast is one thing. A complicated surgery by a NBA doctor and close access to a top notch rehab staff are good reasons to start college early.  Sounds wise to me.

Please leave me out of the “he quit on his high school” narrative.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:17:04 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
Jay Bee has it right. He is petitioning for immediate eligibility. That has nothing to do with his "first year" and whether it counts or not.

There is next to no reason the NCAA would allow such a waiver.

My point is that he is applying for something he knows he isn't going to get because he wants to be able to say well you didn't give me it so I should get the 5 year waiver when I asked and when I ask for it is because I wasn't able to play my first year.  There is no harm in making a request.  The only bad ankle he has to stand on is his first year in school and whether due to his injury was really "able to play".  If the immediate waiver is given then it solves two birds with one stone so why not try. 

As he came a year early it would be hard to say he didn't know the coaches, their style, that he was away from home with a sick family, etc. so he would need to say that he (and his brother) was(were) rushed back from injury to play when they shouldn't have been making his wellbeing and health at risk.  Unless he has documented proof that would be a very tough direction to go so I believe he is just test running the 5 year request as they usually give the waiver to those who were injured for 2 years like Otule versus just one year and a transfer. 

As I also previously noted, MSU filled this out for him as required by the rule book so I think it is going to be less inflammatory regarding the care he was given.  They can't afford another lawsuit and the statement above would construe malpractice on MU doctors part.

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2019, 06:05:49 AM »
Agreed. Character revealed on some of the Wojo worshippers.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
Reading Izzo's quotes, he considers it routine to apply for the waiver, even though he knows it is unlikely to be approved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
Agreed. Character revealed on some of the Wojo worshippers.

Character revealed is a Buzz quote.  Also, you’re the first one to bring up Wojo in this thread. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2019, 07:08:00 AM »
The Baby Hauser quit on his team at Marquette. He didn't get his rattle so he ran out on his teammates. The Baby Hauser let them down pure and simple. He can transfer, but by gosh, follow the rules.

He is following the rules.  The rules allow for a waiver application.

I'm no fan of the Hausers, but this idea that he's being a "baby" and that it is somehow a moral failing to apply for a waiver when the NCAA rules allow for it, is simply weird. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:17:10 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow