[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What type of player does MU want with the last 4 scholarships?  (Read 7139 times)

tower912

• All American
What type of player does MU want with the last 4 scholarships?
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:04:18 AM »
Assuming status quo.... Koby, Symir, Greg, Dexter for guards.  Oso, Justin, BB and Cain for forwards.   Theo all alone in the post.
IMO, Wojo needs at least one, and more likely two post players/bangers.   Garcia has the length. 
A 6'6 shooter.
An ultra quick small guard.

I assume that Wojo will keep a scholarship in his pocket for a transfer of some kind, most likely another grad transfer big.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:28:41 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: What type of player does MU want with the last 4 scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:54:11 AM »
RJ Davis is the priority right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »
Assuming status quo.... Koby, Symir, Greg, Dexter for guards.  Oso, Justin, BB and Cain for forwards.   Theo all alone in the post.
IMO, Wojo needs at least one, and more likely two post players/bangers.   Garcia has the length. 
A 6'6 shooter.
An ultra quick small guard.

I assume that Wojo will keep a scholarship in his pocket for a transfer of some kind, most likely another grad transfer big.

Another PG. Always bring in a PG if you have multiple open scholarships. Or at the least a combo guard who can play point and also play dogged D.

A dead-eye 3-point shooter who preferably is a great defender at the wing.

Two bigs ... all the better if at least one of them also can shoot.

Is that too much to ask?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
I would concur with the above..and I would say Davis and Garcia are both priorities. A dead eye shooter would be really nice, unfortunately, it doesn't seem that MU is in on anyone that would fit that description. But, you take the best available players and make it work, however best suits the talent you have.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:01:35 AM »
Absolutely need some shooting.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
This.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
I would concur with the above..and I would say Davis and Garcia are both priorities. A dead eye shooter would be really nice, unfortunately, it doesn't seem that MU is in on anyone that would fit that description. But, you take the best available players and make it work, however best suits the talent you have.

I would amend to say Davis, Garcia, and Suggs are the top 3 priorities.

Not sure why people keep leaving Suggs out of the conversation when we are in his top 3.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
If MU gets a PG and Garcia, I am OK with, and might even encourage, a project big.    A Heldt.    Or Ike with a good back.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Winners?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
A switchable that can dribble, pass, and shoot.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »

Not sure why people keep leaving Suggs out of the conversation when we are in his top 3.

I'm one of the biggest Suggs's guys here, believe me. I want him VERY badly. But, it seemed Wojo didn't give him an in home visit recently(though he was at his school), that's a bit concerning. Also, every time I bring him up...people just say "forget Suggs, he's going to Gonzaga". Even though he hasn't committed there yet. So I don't bother to bring him up anymore because I will just get told "he's going to Gonzaga"
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »

Because sometimes being in the top 3 means something....and sometimes it doesn't.......If Suggs visits I will start taking his recruitment more seriously.....until then I will assume he is going to Gonzaga.....

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
If MU could get only 1 more verbal from any of the remaining players this fall, I'd gladly go into the spring period with 3 signees.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
If MU gets a PG and Garcia, I am OK with, and might even encourage, a project big.    A Heldt.    Or Ike with a good back.

Ditto. I'd also be OK with a great shooter who might be otherwise limited -- a Rowseye or Cubillan type, though I'd prefer more size. Does Novak have any eligibility left?

If MU could get only 1 more verbal from any of the remaining players this fall, I'd gladly go into the spring period with 3 signees.

Ditto that, too.

Get 3 outstanding commits, kick arse during the season, take the BEast title and advance to the second weekend, and show Dawson and others that WarriorLand is happenin'!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
1.  Player with size that can contribute right away.  Garcia, JBF, or grad transfer.

2.  RJ Davis or AJ Hoggard
I'd take both but I think one is the goal.  Davis provides better shooting but Hoggard is bigger.

3.  BPA
Suggs, Mane, late bloomer, transfer...lots of ways to go

4.  Depends on what happens with the other spots.  Could be a shooter, big, BPA, or transfer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »
1) Guard, ideally Davis or Hoggard. Could take both, but getting one should be a priority. Continue to spread guards among the classes because we've seen what guard-deficient teams look like.

2) Big man. I would have JBF at the top of this list. Having Lewis and Ighodaro in the mix lessen this need a bit because we at least have bodies that can develop behind Theo.

3) Dawson Garcia. He would certainly be a take-him-no-matter-what type player, but in terms of roster balance, he's not as essential as he was before we had other forward options. He's simultaneously at the top of the desire list and lower down on the need list.

4) Transfer. Personally, I think the best year-in-residence transfer we can get makes sense, though a grad transfer could be a significant benefit, especially if there's a perceived lack of scoring going into 2020-21. This could also go to a project player or redshirt target. Does not need to be an immediate contributor.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »

I agree with this.  This gives them room to add a transfer and a late bloomer in the spring. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »
Did we cool on Suggs or?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
Did we cool on Suggs or?

Suggs pretty much sounded like a Gonzaga lock but months have gone by and he still hasn’t committed to them so maybe the door is open.

He’s referred to other Gonzaga commits as “we” before so I still think he ends up there.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »
Is Suggs still looking at FB?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »
A winner who can get us to the Final Four.

And win it.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
Suggs comments on MU in late July.

“When they came in for the in-home visit, they really ran down the plan of what it’s going to look like for me. They really just kind of relayed it to (Marquette star) Markus Howard — you got players around you, but ultimately you’re the guy to go to. And he told me, ‘We’re missing that one, big, five-star to really put it all together.’ And one thing that he said to me that really stuck with me, kind of hit home, was that I remind him of (former NBA superstar and Marquette product) Dwyane Wade and the type of impact I could have on that program. That hit home. I appreciate that so much — that’s an honor to get that kind of comparison.”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
Agree with all that's been said. We're going to need a banger, but if we're not in on one of the top guys, the marginal return isn't as good as some of the guards/forwards we're in on. A guy that's going to develop over a year or two seems sufficient, or a grad transfer

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 11:29:43 AM »

I liked Matt, but please, not another Heldt.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »
3 5 star players and a former 5 star transfer to balance out the class. Anything less is complete and utter failure.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
Basically the team needs a 6'9" guy with great handles who can run the offense, shoot high volume from 3 and make 40%, take his guy off the dribble, rebound well, be unselfish, lead the team, be an academic all-american, average at least 10/10/5 as a freshman and stay for 4 years.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
What I would want is to recruit to what the program goal is. And I think that is what is missing in this discussion.

Currently, the goal "to compete for championships".  To me, that is to make the NIT or NCAA.  That is where the program is at. A mixture of two, three or four stars.

Win the Big East. Four stars

Compete for the National Championship.  Four and Five stars.

It has to build. Wojo seems to be moving to Point B with this class...and to me, the current roster.  When I hear fourth or fifth (or even sixth) in the Big East for this year's team, I shake my head if that is the expectation. 

That said, that was what Wojo was hired for:  To compete for championships.  I think we are at Point B so that is four stars. So my expectation is this class is a balance of four stars at the key positions they are replacing.  Halfway home.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
What I would want is to recruit to what the program goal is. And I think that is what is missing in this discussion.

Currently, the goal "to compete for championships".  To me, that is to make the NIT or NCAA.  That is where the program is at. A mixture of two, three or four stars.

Win the Big East. Four stars

Compete for the National Championship.  Four and Five stars.

It has to build. Wojo seems to be moving to Point B with this class...and to me, the current roster.  When I hear fourth or fifth (or even sixth) in the Big East for this year's team, I shake my head if that is the expectation. 

That said, that was what Wojo was hired for:  To compete for championships.  I think we are at Point B so that is four stars. So my expectation is this class is a balance of four stars at the key positions they are replacing.  Halfway home.

Regarding the bolded are you referring to the stars of recruits Wojo has brought in and has on his roster?  So far, not including transfers, Wojo has signed more five star prospects than he has two star prospects.  1 five star, 10 four stars, 7 three stars, 0 two stars, according to 247's system.

I think the expectation for Wojo is to be a threat to win the Big East every year, to be in the NCAA Tournament every year (or dang near it), and to have a real chance to make a second weekend run most years, with an occasional chance at a Final Four if things break right.  A lot of Scoopers seem to think the administration only wants choir boys and mild success and nothing else matters, but I don't think that's the case at all.  I think the administration knew Wojo was walking into a mess and gave him time to lay the groundwork.  Last year was the expectation.  Threat to win the Big East, realistic chance at a second weekend run.  Didn't close out on those two things, but finished second in the BE and had a 5 seed.  Now it's time to show he can do these things consistently.  If he can't he'll be gone, even though some Scoopers don't think he will be fired no matter what happens on the court, so long as we don't start having legal or academic issues with our roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »
1.  Player with size that can contribute right away.  Garcia, JBF, or grad transfer.

2.  RJ Davis or AJ Hoggard
I'd take both but I think one is the goal.  Davis provides better shooting but Hoggard is bigger.

3.  BPA
Suggs, Mane, late bloomer, transfer...lots of ways to go

4.  Depends on what happens with the other spots.  Could be a shooter, big, BPA, or transfer.

I don't believe that JBF will be ready to contribute right away, in spite of his size.  He is moving up a class level, if MU gets him this year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Regarding the bolded are you referring to the stars of recruits Wojo has brought in and has on his roster?  So far, not including transfers, Wojo has signed more five star prospects than he has two star prospects.  1 five star, 10 four stars, 7 three stars, 0 two stars, according to 247's system.

I think the expectation for Wojo is to be a threat to win the Big East every year, to be in the NCAA Tournament every year (or dang near it), and to have a real chance to make a second weekend run most years, with an occasional chance at a Final Four if things break right.  A lot of Scoopers seem to think the administration only wants choir boys and mild success and nothing else matters, but I don't think that's the case at all.  I think the administration knew Wojo was walking into a mess and gave him time to lay the groundwork.  Last year was the expectation.  Threat to win the Big East, realistic chance at a second weekend run.  Didn't close out on those two things, but finished second in the BE and had a 5 seed.  Now it's time to show he can do these things consistently.  If he can't he'll be gone, even though some Scoopers don't think he will be fired no matter what happens on the court, so long as we don't start having legal or academic issues with our roster.

I don't want to get into a discussion on stars again as we rehashed it...and each service has their own definitions. But scholarships were/are given to players like Levin, Ike, Tommy and Chartouney (I would stretch it to include Wally). No knock on them, and the circumstances vary, yet that is where recruiting landed. Solid teammates who filled some team role, mostly not on the game court.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »
Doc and Wades

Good points by both of you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
I don't want to get into a discussion on stars again as we rehashed it...and each service has their own definitions. But scholarships were/are given to players like Levin, Ike, Tommy and Chartouney (I would stretch it to include Wally). No knock on them, and the circumstances vary, yet that is where recruiting landed. Solid teammates who filled some team role, mostly not on the game court.

There are certainly wins and losses, though of the five you list, two were recruiting errors that were off the books in a year (Levin & Chartouny), two were multi-year errors (Ike & Wally) though I'd contest whether Ike was an error, more just a casualty. Tommy I'm not sure is fair to mention. Yes, he is filling a scholarship, but it's more a case of "I have this sitting around and I can either let it go to waste or give it to someone to whom it has value."

In addition, if we're looking at low ranked fliers that were taken, Rowsey also fits that criteria. Obviously he panned out far better than the others above, but not all of the 2/3 star fliers have failed (Sacar, Theo also successes).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Rosters are constructed relative to the circumstances at the time , with specific roles in mind, keeping in mind that not all 13 players are recruited to be stars.

So when you look at the guys you mentioned, each had a story.

Levin- was a prized transfer at the time we competed against ND and others for his services and won. Unfortunately, he was recruited over by us taking Henry , so he returned to the West Coast and had a very solid 4 year career.

Ike- Definition of exactly the kind of guy you take on as a project . Lots of skill and athleticism but not a lot of experience and needs to develop his basketball IQ. A winner coming out of State Championship pedigree in Michigan. Not to mention a good guy. Unfortunately he got hurt before we had a chance .

Tommy-Very smart move. Had a one year audition on Scout. He showed he fills the role with size and required skills. Hard to keep those guys on roster. Many of the top programs utilize this strategy for the last scholarship spot when the right guy shows up.

Chartouny- we needed a one year rental at point guard . There was only one good point guard transfer that year  (matt Mooney) and a whole lot that were mediocre that year and we had to fill the slot , so net net we got 2 SOTGs from Joe so I think it was a fair trade off especially considering how poorly some of the alternatives ended up performing at their schools.

Wally=Getting Henry. Was worth it.

So I would say these examples above are all representative of the nature of D1 recruiting rather than MU specific foibles. For example look at the Badgers they are loaded with these kind of guys year after year.

Recruiting is an art form. If 2 guys per year actually prove out from each recruiting class, a team will do well over time.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
There are certainly wins and losses, though of the five you list, two were recruiting errors that were off the books in a year (Levin & Chartouny), two were multi-year errors (Ike & Wally) though I'd contest whether Ike was an error, more just a casualty. Tommy I'm not sure is fair to mention. Yes, he is filling a scholarship, but it's more a case of "I have this sitting around and I can either let it go to waste or give it to someone to whom it has value."

In addition, if we're looking at low ranked fliers that were taken, Rowsey also fits that criteria. Obviously he panned out far better than the others above, but not all of the 2/3 star fliers have failed (Sacar, Theo also successes).

I am not going to debate the past as I was on an island early on about the recruiting approach. Old news. My point is we are moving up and so must be expectations.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »
I am not going to debate the past as I was on an island early on about the recruiting approach. Old news. My point is we are moving up and so must be expectations.

I think our expectations need to be guided by getting old. I don't see us winning the way Duke or Kentucky do. We need to turn 3/4 star players into studs the way Wisconsin, Villanova, and Virginia have.

Can we get the occasional top-10, maybe even top-5 recruiting class? Sure. But that will be the exception, not the norm. We need to consistently be in that 10-20 range and get those guys to stick around. Because that's a perfectly viable way to win titles, as long as you have the development staff to do it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
I think our expectations need to be guided by getting old. I don't see us winning the way Duke or Kentucky do. We need to turn 3/4 star players into studs the way Wisconsin, Villanova, and Virginia have.

Can we get the occasional top-10, maybe even top-5 recruiting class? Sure. But that will be the exception, not the norm. We need to consistently be in that 10-20 range and get those guys to stick around. Because that's a perfectly viable way to win titles, as long as you have the development staff to do it.

FWIW, here are some recruiting rankings from 24/7 for Villanova from 2013-18 (covering the title years)

2013: 36th nationally, Josh Hart (79th), Kris Jenkins (76th) - - both out of DC, ouch Hoyas

2014: 48th nationally, Mikal Bridges (81st), Phil Booth (75th)

2015:  29th nationally, Jalen Brunson (22nd), Dante DiVincenzo (124th)

2016:  45th nationally, Omari Spellman (20th), Dylan Painter (136th)

2017:  20th nationally, Jermaine Samuels (46th), Dhamir Cosby Roundtree (97th), Collin Gillespie (200th)

2018: 9th, Jahvon Quinerly (transfer, 29th), Cole Swider (44th),  Brandon Slater (53rd), Saddiq Bey (137th)

The best recruit by the numbers was Quinerly and he left.

What the list shows me is, despite some early entries from the list, you don’t have a lot of these core guys that transferred.  You could also look at Michigan under Beilein, who did his best work with guys that had similar profiles to what Villanova was working with.

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »

Again, expectations are about the future and not the past or excuses.  November is a big month for Wojo and just not on the floor. He and I both expect excellence. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
FWIW, here are some recruiting rankings from 24/7 for Villanova from 2013-18 (covering the title years)

2013: 36th nationally, Josh Hart (79th), Kris Jenkins (76th) - - both out of DC, ouch Hoyas

2014: 48th nationally, Mikal Bridges (81st), Phil Booth (75th)

2015:  29th nationally, Jalen Brunson (22nd), Dante DiVincenzo (124th)

2016:  45th nationally, Omari Spellman (20th), Dylan Painter (136th)

2017:  20th nationally, Jermaine Samuels (46th), Dhamir Cosby Roundtree (97th), Collin Gillespie (200th)

2018: 9th, Jahvon Quinerly (transfer, 29th), Cole Swider (44th),  Brandon Slater (53rd), Saddiq Bey (137th)

The best recruit by the numbers was Quinerly and he left.

What the list shows me is, despite some early entries from the list, you don’t have a lot of these core guys that transferred.  You could also look at Michigan under Beilein, who did his best work with guys that had similar profiles to what Villanova was working with.

Great stuff, Unk.

feedback