[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Continues to Confound  (Read 16777 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: DePaul Continues to Confound
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
Do TV networks really have the ability to "pressure" individual teams to do better?  What power do they have to do that?

Maybe pressure is the wrong word. I just figure that if Fox was going to invest in the BE with the expectation that there's a huge following in two of the top 3 DMAs then they'd be vocal about their displeasure that the two teams in those consistently suck.
Maigh Eo for Sam

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
MU 82 -- I tried, but I still speak about sitting on crapty sheets.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
My guess is that, in the process of negotiating the deal, TV networks pressure the league to put out a product that will draw the eyes. In turn, the league (or the other university Presidents and ADs) might pressure the schools that aren't carrying their weight.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:59 PM »
Have to admit I have little interest in what motivates DePaul. Someone will always be on the bottom and it is better them than someone closer to Milwaukee.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
Do TV networks really have the ability to "pressure" individual teams to do better?  What power do they have to do that?

To some degree, yes.

The NFL wants nothing more than for the New York Giants to be annually relevant. Ditto for the Bears and the Rams. Can they force them to? No. But can there be backroom/backside pressure? Of course. Their ratings would be off the charts if all three were good simultaneously.

Want to make DePaul good? Drop a hint to the powers that be that JLP's days need to be numbered.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »

Little if any. If that were the case the Knicks would actually be relevant.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
To some degree, yes.

The NFL wants nothing more than for the New York Giants to be annually relevant. Ditto for the Bears and the Rams. Can they force them to? No. But can there be backroom/backside pressure? Of course. Their ratings would be off the charts if all three were good simultaneously.

Want to make DePaul good? Drop a hint to the powers that be that JLP's days need to be numbered.

The problem is that DePaul (and JLP) can use the following "examples" of ways of attempting to boost DePaul's men's basketball program - 1.) Hiring a coach with previous success at DePaul, 2.) Moving away from Allstate Arena, which had poor attendance and was far away from campus, 3.) Moving into a brand new facility that will be mainly for DePaul Basketball near downtown Chicago.

Now, for rebuttals, 1.) DePaul hired a coach that left them and failed miserably at an ACC school (and future national champion), after it balked at hiring the likes of several other young coaches (Bobby Hurley/Bryce Drew).  That same coach has still yet to make a tournament, was involved in an off-court recruiting scandal and is now suspended three games this year.  2.) Yes, they moved away from Rosemont, but - no matter where you are - if you continue to lose, people do not show up. 3.) the new arena is still not close to to campus, and, as stated, still struggles with attendance.

So, for perception appearances, DePaul can argue it has made necessary steps to "compete" in the Big East moving forward.  Unfortunately, any one that follows an iota of college basketball can recognize that these steps were simply buffers attempting to cover larger deficits the program has had, and will continue to have. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
Neither the Big East nor Fox Sports is going to pressure DePaul to fire it's athletic director.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »
Neither the Big East nor Fox Sports is going to pressure DePaul to fire it's athletic director.

No, but both DePaul fans might.  :P
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
No, but both DePaul fans might.  :P

All 800 are going to write strongly worded letters.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
The problem is that DePaul (and JLP) can use the following "examples" of ways of attempting to boost DePaul's men's basketball program - 1.) Hiring a coach with previous success at DePaul, 2.) Moving away from Allstate Arena, which had poor attendance and was far away from campus, 3.) Moving into a brand new facility that will be mainly for DePaul Basketball near downtown Chicago.

Now, for rebuttals, 1.) DePaul hired a coach that left them and failed miserably at an ACC school (and future national champion), after it balked at hiring the likes of several other young coaches (Bobby Hurley/Bryce Drew).  That same coach has still yet to make a tournament, was involved in an off-court recruiting scandal and is now suspended three games this year.  2.) Yes, they moved away from Rosemont, but - no matter where you are - if you continue to lose, people do not show up. 3.) the new arena is still not close to to campus, and, as stated, still struggles with attendance.

So, for perception appearances, DePaul can argue it has made necessary steps to "compete" in the Big East moving forward.  Unfortunately, any one that follows an iota of college basketball can recognize that these steps were simply buffers attempting to cover larger deficits the program has had, and will continue to have.

If I was grading JLP, the "examples" are worth 20 points (19.5 points for moving away from Rosemont and 0.5 points for everything else) while the "rebuttal" is worth 2.8 million points. Build it and they will come may work for cornfield baseball in rural Dubuque County, Iowa but it doesn't work for reviving a dormant Big East basketball program.

Not a DePaul grad but if I was, I'd be happier if DePaul staked its rebuild on calling Loyola and asking if they could borrow Sister Jean and her direct line to heaven rather than sticking with JLP.  It just isn't working and the longer they stick with JLP, the more ignorant they show themselves to be.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »
Now this is funny........great timing as always Depaul!

https://twitter.com/sam_vecenie/status/1177053554235699200?s=21

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »
All 800 are going to write strongly worded letters.
800 fans? Trying to be funny?

No way all 800 fans would be motivated to write.  ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »
800 fans? Trying to be funny?

No way all 800 fans would be motivated to write.  ;)

I mean, they would probably email.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
Unbelieveable that he was granted a waiver...

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
  10s 

Source: DePaul's Charlie Moore has received a waiver from the NCAA and is immediately eligible to play this season. HUGE news for the Blue Demons. 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
His father is sick right?  They usually are pretty thorough about those cases.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
His father is sick right?  They usually are pretty thorough about those cases.

They've been granting everyone. Donnie Tillman got an immediate waiver going from Utah to UNLV and he's from Michigan. Rylan Bergersen transferred further away from his Boise, Idaho home going from BYU to Central Arkansas and was granted immediate eligibility.

At this point, honestly, I'd almost be more surprised if Joey Hauser was denied than if he was approved. There's seemingly no rhyme nor reason, they are just granting to anyone who asks.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »
They've been granting everyone. Donnie Tillman got an immediate waiver going from Utah to UNLV and he's from Michigan. Rylan Bergersen transferred further away from his Boise, Idaho home going from BYU to Central Arkansas and was granted immediate eligibility.

At this point, honestly, I'd almost be more surprised if Joey Hauser was denied than if he was approved. There's seemingly no rhyme nor reason, they are just granting to anyone who asks.

Perhaps they are devoting all their legal/regulatory resources to the payment issue, and just rubber-stamping waiver requests.

Might be a good time for Chris Otule to reapply....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »

Perhaps they are just sick of the constant bitching and unjust cries from people when they dare to make a decision they don’t agree with.  Just throwing their hands up to say, ok...you want this mess...have at it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »
Perhaps they are just sick of the constant bitching and unjust cries from people when they dare to make a decision they don’t agree with.  Just throwing their hands up to say, ok...you want this mess...have at it.

Yay!!!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »

Run off or other mitigating circumstances are also deciding factors.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
Per Evan Daniels, DePaul just landed Keon Edwards.  Top 50.

feedback