'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which newcomer wil have the biggest impact this year?

Jayce Johnson
18 (14.6%)
Koby MeEwen
96 (78%)
Dexter Akanno
2 (1.6%)
Symir Torrence
7 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: October 06, 2019, 08:07:18 PM

Author Topic: Newcomer with biggest impact  (Read 2967 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Newcomer with biggest impact
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »
Since I'm on a poll roll, this one made sense.
Once again, there's a choice that seems obvious (to me) but I wanted to see what you thought.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Newcomer with biggest impact
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:09:22 PM »
Koby...but I think Jayce could give him a run.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »
I want it to be Kobe, but I think that’s at least somewhat dependent on Markus sharing the ball a bit more than has so far. 

Jayce could really make this a formidable front line defensively and allow maximum intensity from Theo without a significant drop off if he gets a couple of quick fouls.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:09 PM »
Tempted to go with Dex a lot of people sleeping on him i think

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
Jayce has proven he can make an impact on the boards at the  High Major Level.  At 7-0 245 with three years experience, his role is well defined and thus he should come out of the blocks strong. So I voted to go with him. It is within the realm of possibility that he could be producing a number of double doubles this years.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 12:52:01 AM »
It's about the mentality and toughness impact more than the numbers here for me...

Koby McEwen just seems like a tough kid on both ends to me. I expect he will come out blazing and add some physicality, hustle and fire and provide some inspirational lift as well.

A guy who can get in the lane at will, make the tough ball, come up with 50/50 balls come up with a rebound in between two opponents and dive after a nickel in the 3rd row a fan dropped while dancing to 'jump around.'

A 'nuts and bolts' guy as 'Al' would say and would get his teammates fired up and keep them lit and focused when wavering. Not sure if he is poor man's Butch Lee or not, but we'll see. He's got size on him.

Just seems like a natural leader and warrior to me at first glance. Not afraid to talk either...this team does not have too many talkers and in your face guys holding each other to accountability when needed. He might. I like his temperament.       

Impact and contribution are two different things in playing the game to me...Now if you would ask which newcomer would make the biggest contribution, I might answer differently.

Some players can contribute one or two things but have no impact on the game and the tempo or the team cohesion, morale or energy as much.

Akanno and Symor are freshmen . . . so what you get from them will be a bonus and an unknown. McEwen should be motivated and licking his chops because he sat out all year itching to play. His impact next to Howard should be riveting.

Go MU Go. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:00:56 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
It probably needs to be Koby. We need a guard to take pressure off Markus. Someone to provide another scoring and ballhandling option. If it isn't Koby, it either means one of the other guards really impressed or we won't be nearly as good as we are all hoping.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
I agree with Herman here and voted for JJ. Theo was key to Marquette improving from to #150 to #45 in AdjD per KenPom. I think Jayce's rebounding and shot blocking could have just as big of an impact -- perhaps even bringing MU's defense into Top 25 territory. Based on the open practice and games in Europe, he also looks like the team's most skilled offensive player in the post.

Koby's combination of size, strength and athleticism could be just as transformational in the backcourt. If both of these 22-year-old newcomers have the kind of impact I think they're capable of, this could be a special season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
If it's not Koby, MU is in big trouble this year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »
If it's not Koby, MU is in big trouble this year.

Why?  What if Koby is good, but not great, and Symir is better than expected?  What if Jayce Johnson is more versatile than we thought and allows us to play with some huge size on the frong line?

Koby being great isn't the only key for success this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 09:04:13 PM »
Agree with fan12 - we need Koby to bring the goods.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »
Agree with fan12 - we need Koby to bring the goods.

I’m not saying we don’t need Koby to play well. He just doesn’t necessarily need to have the most impact of all the newcomers.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
I’m not saying we don’t need Koby to play well. He just doesn’t necessarily need to have the most impact of all the newcomers.

In terms of likely scenarios, I disagree. I mean, if Symir has a Howard like freshman impact, or if Akanno is the unranked kid that plays like sophomore year Wade, sure. Maybe if Jayce has Happ-like distribution from the middle. But unless someone really radically exceeds expectations, I feel that to reach the heights we hope, we need a ballhandler and scorer. While it could come from other sources, the most likely is McEwen. That's why I think if it's not him, our ceiling likely shrinks significantly.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
In terms of likely scenarios, I disagree. I mean, if Symir has a Howard like freshman impact, or if Akanno is the unranked kid that plays like sophomore year Wade, sure. Maybe if Jayce has Happ-like distribution from the middle. But unless someone really radically exceeds expectations, I feel that to reach the heights we hope, we need a ballhandler and scorer. While it could come from other sources, the most likely is McEwen. That's why I think if it's not him, our ceiling likely shrinks significantly.

I agree with this analysis.