Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Three-point Defense  (Read 2395 times)

Milkshakes

• All American
Three-point Defense
« on: November 30, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere. The quote from the LA Times below is pretty incredible. If they can run Maryland off the 3 point line the way they have in the last two games I like our chances.

“Going under the radar was the impressive three-point defense, which limited USC to three for 12, with all the made shots coming in the second half. The Golden Eagles held Davidson to 0 for 14 on Thursday.”

tower912

• All American
Re: Three-point Defense
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
They clearly made it a priority.  It hurt the help on drives and cuts to the rim.   It was almost no-help on the perimeter and only the post helping on drives.  So, it was an ADJUSTMENT.   Teams will start game planning to counter it, and another adjustment will follow.   

So, what some see as terrible interior defense is actually a emphasis  on 3 pt defense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »
If you take out the Badger game, MU opponents have shot 19/88 (21.5%) from deep. It might have a little bit to do with the new line but that’s pretty good.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
If you take out the Badger game, MU opponents have shot 19/88 (21.5%) from deep. It might have a little bit to do with the new line but that’s pretty good.

Agreed it has been very good ex Wisconsin. But along with tower's note about adjustments, 3P% defense can be fluky. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryland makes their fair share or even goes off tomorrow due to one or both of those factors. Preemptive request for people to refrain from the "Wojo sucks again" or "these guys are pathetic" if that does happen. I know I'm shouting into the void here but felt it needed to be said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
If we can keep Theo in the game, and/or if Morrow plays like he did yesterday (much better than he did Thu), I like the concept of running teams off the 3-point line as much as is reasonably possible.

In addition to reducing the likelihood of opponents' 12-2 runs that include three 3s, it also forces teams out of their comfort zone. In today's hoops, so much is predicated on setting up 3s for good shooters that it can really mess with an offense to not give many clear looks. I know it affects Markus when teams do that to him.

Keep them under 30% from 3 and keep Theo out of foul trouble, I really like our chances.

Markus scoring 50 again on 24 shots would be OK, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
Agreed it has been very good ex Wisconsin. But along with tower's note about adjustments, 3P% defense can be fluky. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryland makes their fair share or even goes off tomorrow due to one or both of those factors. Preemptive request for people to refrain from the "Wojo sucks again" or "these guys are pathetic" if that does happen. I know I'm shouting into the void here but felt it needed to be said.

I would agree. Davidson especially had a lot of open looks that they missed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »

They had some open looks but they also got chased off the line a lot. Maybe, psychologically, they didn't feel some of their open looks were as open as they looked (if you know what I'm saying). Especially by the middle of the second half.

I mean, we also had plenty of open looks and didn't knock down a lot of them.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »

It balances out because Wisconsin hit a lot of contested 3s against MU that based on previous and since performances were absolute outliers for Wisconsin
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »

I had a coach in my younger years that had a poster saying "The more I practice, the luckier I get" and I think some of that applies to the Davidson game. 3 point defense was a priority, and that threw Davidson off their gameplan. So yeah, there's an element of luck in them going 0-fer, but that's probably due in large part to our early success on defense.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
Part of the problem against Wisconsin was not securing defensive rebounds.  A traditionally poor offensive rebound team got boards one on three and turned them into open 3 looks while MU scrambled to recover.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
My recollection, and I might be wrong, is that a lot of Wisconsin's 3s where made in transition or at least before the defense got set. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »

Let the record show... Davidson's 3FGA/FGA was 28.3% against us. For the season, it's 42.0%.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
I'd say it's a fluke that not a single one of Davidson's 3s went down. I mean, sources say they had made a 3 in 7,450,221 straight games. But I think MU deserves some credit for Davidson's poor overall performance from behind the arc.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
I'd say it's a fluke that not a single one of Davidson's 3s went down. I mean, sources say they had made a 3 in 7,450,221 straight games. But I think MU deserves some credit for Davidson's poor overall performance from behind the arc.

I think that's fair.

Would also echo EFR's comment re: people spazzing when some team has a good day against us.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback