[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Oh, how the worm can turn.  (Read 47712 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Oh, how the worm can turn.
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
I wonder if the average Athletic Director feels that way.

Well we know how how many of the elite coaches feel

Jay Wright
Mark Few
Tom Izzo
Roy Williams
Tony Bennett

Etc etc etc. All said the same thing.  They have to coach in it, not The average AD’s. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
Well we know how how many of the elite coaches feel

Jay Wright
Mark Few
Tom Izzo
Roy Williams
Tony Bennett

Etc etc etc. All said the same thing.  They have to coach in it, not The average AD’s.

Right.  But they don't get to decide how their performance is judged by the higher ups. I'd imagine March is a relevant topic in year end assessments and not just something dismissed as a crapshoot.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
Same old Chicos....never ends.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »
Same old Chicos....never ends.

Don’t forget the Badger falsifications by you....never ends
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Right.  But they don't get to decide how their performance is judged by the higher ups. I'd imagine March is a relevant topic in year end assessments and not just something dismissed as a crapshoot.

If it happens for too long, sure.  Look, those of you outraged and pissed, drop your tickets, protest, don’t attend...show them who is boss so that we get Tony Bennett to quit UVA and come to MU.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2019, 09:35:19 PM »
Don’t forget the Badger falsifications by you....never ends
There’s the victim we’ve all come to know. Like clockwork.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2019, 09:42:26 PM »
If it happens for too long, sure.  Look, those of you outraged and pissed, drop your tickets, protest, don’t attend...show them who is boss so that we get Tony Bennett to quit UVA and come to MU.

Well, I'm not outraged or pissed.  I just think getting blown out in both NCAA tournament games is a valid criticism.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
I agree, it is a positive thing.  We know the Hauser situation won't be torpedoing the recruiting class.  I just don't get the gloating about it like it's proof that Wojo is doing a good job.  He's still 0fer in the tourney.

Who is gloating?

Again. Some posters were concerned that with the Hauser's leaving, recruiting would be effected. So far, that hasn't been proven to be true.

That's all I was trying to say.

Glad you agree with me.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »
Ha ya think some are pissed he has landed two top 75 kids? Those wishing him to fail and only see the negatives?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
I have consistently believed that our team this year will be more athletic and benefit from better team chemistry.

I believe the first benefit we are seeing of the team chemistry is the positive trends in recruiting . Two solid commitments and in the running on several more top prospects . Recruits are always highly attuned to the chemistry issue ,and when it is a good one, that perception really helps the coaching staff sell through message.

I hope MU can fill the next two open spots with two more solid prospects . That would give a nice balance to the roster going forward.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
Carolina. 7.  Game was tied I think with under 10 min to play.  S.C. went on to Final Four

Murray State...2.  Terrible matchup

How would you rate HOF coach’s team performance Duke against Mercer or Lehigh?  And countless examples.  No excuses or editorializing

LMAO. Game wasn't tied with under 10 minutes left. Last tie was with 16:21 left. We led by 10 with 9:30 left in the 1st half. We scored a token lay up to "cut" the lead to 20 in the waning seconds. In the 29 minutes in between we were outscored 77-45. 7? What's a 30 point loss, a 5? 10 point loss a 9?

Another poster said 3 and 1. Fair. 7 and 2 would embarrass even a card carrying world class Blue and Gold goggled slurper. Please reconsider or turn in your objectivity card.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
Hall of Fame coaches with Better talent can lose these games, but a young coach with less is inexcusable.....lol.  Jesus H
Well, I suppose everyone would cut him some slack if we had won something in his five years.  To me in five years the list of Wojo's highlights is a win over number 1 Villanova at home and... I got nothing else.  We've made two NCAAs in his 5 years, nothing special even considering what we were when he arrived, and we were not competitive once we got there. No top 25 finishes for a six year stretch, 5 on his watch.  Since Al got here, the only other stretch where that happened was the Majerus/Dukiet dark days.  He has been building toward 2018-19 and 2019-20 since he got here.  The first of those two seasons began will lots of promise but ended in a total collapse.  Season 2 has begun with his second and third best players leaving the program so once again expectations are lowered.  For goodness sake, you have the optimistic people on the board hoping we can get an NCAA tournament win in year 6, with a probably step back for a year or two following that!  We are Marquette.  That is not good.  He's got to start winning more to win people over.  Not sure why that is hard for people to understand.

And stop using the occasional failures of great coaches to excuse him.  You darn well know you can't compare him to great coaches because guys with a great track record earn the benefit of the doubt when a season or game goes sideways.

I'm not even a Wojo hater.  I still hold out hope he can do something great here.  Just saying I get the frustration with him.

To me the best you can say about Wojo is that the jury is still out or there is still potential.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Well, I suppose everyone would cut him some slack if we had won something in his five years.  To me in five years the list of Wojo's highlights is a win over number 1 Villanova at home and... I got nothing else.  We've made two NCAAs in his 5 years, nothing special even considering what we were when he arrived, and we were not competitive once we got there. No top 25 finishes for a six year stretch, 5 on his watch.  Since Al got here, the only other stretch where that happened was the Majerus/Dukiet dark days.  He has been building toward 2018-19 and 2019-20 since he got here.  The first of those two seasons began will lots of promise but ended in a total collapse.  Season 2 has begun with his second and third best players leaving the program so once again expectations are lowered.  For goodness sake, you have the optimistic people on the board hoping we can get an NCAA tournament win in year 6, with a probably step back for a year or two following that!  We are Marquette.  That is not good.  He's got to start winning more to win people over.  Not sure why that is hard for people to understand.

And stop using the occasional failures of great coaches to excuse him.  You darn well know you can't compare him to great coaches because guys with a great track record earn the benefit of the doubt when a season or game goes sideways.

I'm not even a Wojo hater.  I still hold out hope he can do something great here.  Just saying I get the frustration with him.

To me the best you can say about Wojo is that the jury is still out or there is still potential.

Well stated.  Even the people labelled as Wojo supporters here usually agree that the jury is still out on the guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »
Agreed.   I am a 'supporter', but I have said multiple times that I have yet to see him make a team more than the sum of it's parts.
But the point of this is that many thought that the Hausers were the beginning of the end.  Here we are 5 months later, Jayce transfers in, Symir reclassifies, and two top 100 recruits for '20.   The program hasn't shut down.  Wojo is still landing decent recruits.   It isn't all doom and gloom. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
And my fear is that Wojo will always kind of be what he has shown.  A good recruiter.  An OK bench coach.  We'll get into NCAA tournaments but never really make a run.  Like Crean without the Final Four run. 

Which means he likely doesn't get fired and doesn't get poached.  He may get tired and want to move on, but who knows if that will happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2019, 08:45:58 AM »
And my fear is that Wojo will always kind of be what he has shown.  A good recruiter.  An OK bench coach.  We'll get into NCAA tournaments but never really make a run.  Like Crean without the Final Four run. 

Which means he likely doesn't get fired and doesn't get poached.  He may get tired and want to move on, but who knows if that will happen.
Will happen when a decent paying power 5 job opens.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
Meanwhile, MU is ranked #22...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
I never thought the Hausers would affect recruiting.  Recruits are so self absorbed that stuff like that doesn’t phase them.

And so Wojo with lots of PT to sell got two Top 100 players.  Wow. Shocker.

Same as KO
Same as TC
Same as Buzz

Marquette always recruits well when there’s PT.

Can we win a tournament game?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »

Crean without the final four run is a really good comparison and my fear also.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
Unless, as with most everything, the economics change. If revenues and donations fall off MU will make the change.

I mean after a reasonable 10 year window to begin rebuilding the program, until then "wins no matta'. ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
LMAO. Game wasn't tied with under 10 minutes left. Last tie was with 16:21 left. We led by 10 with 9:30 left in the 1st half. We scored a token lay up to "cut" the lead to 20 in the waning seconds. In the 29 minutes in between we were outscored 77-45. 7? What's a 30 point loss, a 5? 10 point loss a 9?

Another poster said 3 and 1. Fair. 7 and 2 would embarrass even a card carrying world class Blue and Gold goggled slurper. Please reconsider or turn in your objectivity card.

My apologies, we were down 1 point and not tied with 10 minutes to go.  Sorry I was off by 1 point.  I noticed you also didn’t bother to mention they went to the Final Four.  So Wojo was toe to toe the first 30 minutes...and then he forgot to coach the last 10?  GMAFB. 

It was a two possession game with under 7 minutes to play.

We ran out of gas, couldn’t hit shots, they were a fantastic defensive team that grinded us down as they did their next three opponents. I was fortunate enough to be at the Final Four that year...that team just missed playing for the title.

I noticed you refused to answer my question when I gave you the courtesy of answering yours.

I don’t care about your objectivity bs, especially with your bromance love affairs with certain coaches and your hypocritical double standards....your objectivity went out the door years ago.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:13:46 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »

I will never understand this logic.  Ever.  A lot of people throw this one around. 

Because someone did something good 4 years earlier, that is a free pass for today and excuses the present day loss.  Uhm, ok.

End of the day, Buzz, Al, Coach K, Izzo, etc, etc, etc have all lost games in the tournament they shouldn’t have, sometimes blown out and EVERY time they had better talent than Wojo did and they are better coaches, more experienced.

To sum it up, those guys....better coaches, better talent but it is ok to lose to teams they shouldn’t have because somebody did something earlier in their career at same school.  Meanwhile, the current guy with less talent, less coaching acumen is obliterated for losing despite the talent and coaching gap.

The lack of logic is amazing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:06:06 AM by Cheeks »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2019, 10:37:17 AM »
I will never understand this logic.  Ever.  A lot of people throw this one around. 

Because someone did something good 4 years earlier, that is a free pass for today and excuses the present day loss.  Uhm, ok.

End of the day, Buzz, Al, Coach K, Izzo, etc, etc, etc have all lost games in the tournament they shouldn’t have, sometimes blown out and EVERY time they had better talent than Wojo did and they are better coaches, more experienced.

To sum it up, those guys....better coaches, better talent but it is ok to lose to teams they shouldn’t have because somebody did something earlier in their career at same school.  Meanwhile, the current guy with less talent, less coaching acumen is obliterated for losing despite the talent and coaching gap.

I don’t think the games in a vacuum are the problem. It’s just a part of the overall picture that has us nervous. The optimists (me included) have been pointing to Markus’ junior and senior year as the payoff for some growing pains.  Right now all we have to show for it is a blowout in the tournament and losing two starters.

I really hope he’s as successful as the coach’s you’ve listed. However, my worry is unless we get a generational talent, we are going to be average, sort of like Crean outside of 03. You could argue we already have that talent in Markus, so there should be some pressure on this year to deliver a run.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »

The only comparisons between Wojo and the successful coaches you mentioned that ever gets brought up are their failures.  It's not the ringing endorsement you think it is.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
Just to avoid reading 5 pages of things ive missed: did the worm turn back?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.