[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: Anti Catholic remarks made by ESPN host  (Read 13863 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: OT: Anti Catholic remarks made by ESPN host
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:59 AM »
I have a friend in the research dept at ESPN, and he said that Jacobson has been suspeneded for a week.

Confrimed

http://deadspin.com/347880/espn-sends-dana-jacobson-away-for-a-week

The official word has come down: Dana Jacobson has been suspended by ESPN for a week following her apparent meltdown at the Mike and Mike Roast.

Jacobson has released an official apology.

"I am sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I also deeply regret the embarrassment I've caused ESPN and Mike and Mike. My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I am. I won't make excuses for my behavior, but I do hope I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."

In case you've forgotten, here are those Notre Dame comments.

Now that Jacobson has been suspended for a week, we would like to note that this was a celebrity -- well, "celebrity" -- roast, and certainly Jacobson's "unnatural carnal knowledge Notre Dame, unnatural carnal knowledge Touchdown Jesus" jokes would be a little more appropriate there than they would be in almost any other context. We suspect two things did Jacobson in; first was the actual Atlantic City paper calling her "embarrassing," and the second was ... Bill Donahue.

Who's Bill Donahue? He's the president of the Catholic League, an innocent-sounding title that belies the fact that he's a self-promoting, bellicose screaming hack whose television persona couldn't be further from the tenets of modern Catholicism than if he were actively trying to recruit people to Satan. (Which is possible; Donohue does incalculable damage to the Church every time he opens his mouth.)

Donahue, brilliantly satirized on "South Park," took time out from his busy schedule of mock outrage to weigh in on Jacobson's apology.

"It is obvious, then, that neither Jacobson nor ESPN is dealing with this matter in a professional way," Donohue declared. "To put this issue behind them, ESPN must deal with this issue quickly, publicly and fairly, something it has yet to do. After all, most Christians are yet unaware of this event, but once they learn of it, they are sure to demand accountability."

We know we make fun of ESPN around these parts, but when Bill Donohue is calling you out ... you know you're probably doing just fine. We think this whole thing was just a Roast joke gone wrong. Jacobson will take a week off, ESPN will move on, we'll probably never see the video and hopefully Bill Donohue will shuffle off and we'll never have to type his name on this site again.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm not easily offended, in fact, I can't recall a time when I have been.  But even though its a roast, and I know how roasts are, I'm glad that ESPN suspended for a week and wouldn't be upset if she was off for longer.
As a ND fan - my Dad went there - I am not offended about the frack ND, and frack TD Jesus.  I think those comments are fine at a roast of Bob Golic who is such an outspoken supporter of ND.  But to say "frack Jesus" - way, way, way over the line.  As a spokeperson for a TV network with a mic in her hand at a corporate event - even a roast - she used awful judgment and if I'm ESPN, I'm wondering if I still want her representing my network and brand.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
I'm not easily offended, in fact, I can't recall a time when I have been.  But even though its a roast, and I know how roasts are, I'm glad that ESPN suspended for a week and wouldn't be upset if she was off for longer.
As a ND fan - my Dad went there - I am not offended about the frack ND, and frack TD Jesus.  I think those comments are fine at a roast of Bob Golic who is such an outspoken supporter of ND.  But to say "frack Jesus" - way, way, way over the line.  As a spokeperson for a TV network with a mic in her hand at a corporate event - even a roast - she used awful judgment and if I'm ESPN, I'm wondering if I still want her representing my network and brand.

Did she really say "frack Jesus"? That is way out of line. I agree that saying frack ND or frack Touchdown Jesus at a roast isn't a big deal, but to flatly say frack Jesus? You know what? Frack Dana Jacobsen. That's pretty fracking ignorant.
We Are Marquette

augoman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »
"That's pretty fracking ignorant."

precisely.

feedback