[Today at 06:12:30 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How concerning is this?  (Read 42370 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: How concerning is this?
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
Thats interesting,  different strokes for different folks. Visited there, only time, with a son for baseball and both of us couldnt get out of there fast enough.  Found virtually nothing appealing whatsoever, Apart from the baseball program, the whole campus and school was too much of a negative. He went elsewhere.
Put my oldest thru MU including grad school.  Youngest son there now

I did mention the $50k additional in student loans to go to Marquette and that was after getting the apparent max offer from Marquette.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
Marquette retains A2 rating from influential credit-rating agency Moody’s, so everything is okay!

Moody’s Investors Service has assigned the university an A2 credit rating, citing its outlook as “stable.” The influential credit-rating agency extensively analyzed Marquette University, reviewing a wide variety of financial indicators, including net tuition revenue, philanthropic support and debt ratios.

Moody’s says the stable outlook is based on expectations of at least breakeven operating performance, maintenance of favorable debt affordability and no material spend down of reserves.

“Retaining our A2 credit rating is a positive indication that the university is on solid financial footing,” said Joel Pogodzinski, senior vice president and chief operating officer. “With the challenges facing the higher education industry, it’s critical that we continue to operate from a place of fiscal strength so that through our strategic plan, we can decide as an institution how to best move forward, rather than let the market dictate that for us.”

According to Moody’s, the following factors contributed positively to Marquette’s A2 rating:

• Established urban, comprehensive Jesuit university located in the City of Milwaukee
  • Sizeable operating revenue
  • Sound student demand evidenced by continued, if slowing, net tuition revenue growth
  • Strong three-year average philanthropic gift revenue
  • Demonstrated careful planning and fiscal oversight, an active approach to capital investment, and a conservative debt structure

https://today.marquette.edu/2019/09/marquette-retains-a2-rating-from-influential-credit-rating-agency-moodys/

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:26 PM »
I found this interesting .. why shouldn't MU do this?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2019/09/17/carthage-college-says-30-tuition-cut-have-little-revenue-impact/2342671001/

I would assume MU is getting rate card from some students while discounting for others.  Part of it is image and perception.  The same reason luxury or premium brands don’t like to discount as much. 

The numbers might make it attractive, but it might also come off as desperation move, too.  “Every day low pricing”
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
I would assume MU is getting rate card from some students while discounting for others.  Part of it is image and perception.  The same reason luxury or premium brands don’t like to discount as much. 

The numbers might make it attractive, but it might also come off as desperation move, too.  “Every day low pricing”

Nailed it

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:41 PM »
This strategy would not be good for a couple reasons.

1. Marquette has “full pay” students who take no aid. This just leaves money in the table from that cohort.

2. Chico’s is right on the perception of quality. You don’t want to be the drastically low cost option on a list of peer schools.

This is an average school that is trying to do something to stand out. Really how else would you know anything about Carthage? What are they good at? Where is their niche? It is an attempt to get initial looks and hoping and praying that it turns to applications and enrollments.

I don’t know if they are desperate. But I’ve seen desperate institutions do similar things and it doesn’t usually matter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
This strategy would not be good for a couple reasons.

1. Marquette has “full pay” students who take no aid. This just leaves money in the table from that cohort.

2. Chico’s is right on the perception of quality. You don’t want to be the drastically low cost option on a list of peer schools.

This is an average school that is trying to do something to stand out. Really how else would you know anything about Carthage? What are they good at? Where is their niche? It is an attempt to get initial looks and hoping and praying that it turns to applications and enrollments.

I don’t know if they are desperate. But I’ve seen desperate institutions do similar things and it doesn’t usually matter.

They're on Lake Michigan, and used to have a beach. Carthage College.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

This.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
They're on Lake Michigan, and used to have a beach. Carthage College.

Carthage is doing fine and it will be interesting if they generate more interest this way, or if students feel less special because they are not getting the 15K scholarship.   I agree that this may not be right for MU, since MU probably has a decent amount paying above what the "real"  tuition amount is for the average student.

Carthage has a beautiful campus on Lake Michigan.  But, they better hope that the lake doesn't keep rising long term, or the shore erosion will be a major issue, especially with some building very close to the high water line.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »
A little late to the thread, but I think there some activities underway that will address some of the concerns that folks seem to have. Granted I'm not working with all of the colleges, but I have first hand knowledge of major activities the college of business and engineering are taking to approach two critical issues: demographics and value.

From a demographic standpoint, they are really trying to tackle one of the big issues with the underserved.....they are underserved in primary education which largely leaves them unprepared to succeed in college. So there are a lot of efforts underway to A) identify talent in underserved areas (bluntly put, who's smart and/or motivated enough but just hasn't had the right education) and B) getting that talent up to speed in the foundational knowledge sets so they can be successful in college

From a value standpoint, they are trying to take a pragmatic approach to where students are going after graduation and this really ties back to the "blue collar"concept to a certain degree. The reflection is that by and large students go into the professional world and so the focus needs to be around how do we prepare them for that. So there is a lot of work around how an MU education is providing students with career "value" as well as giving students a significant leg up with potential employers where possible.

One area I would really like MU to look would be in how they approach tuition and give a hard look at breaking the traditional model. Purdue has developed an income share agreement and I think it is a really fantastic idea. It certainly might be a risk and something you'd have to phase in but I would love to see MU move to a model where at least 50% of the students who graduate are incurring little to no debt. Additionally, it can dovetail in nicely from a donation funding model as well ("You've been paying us x% for the last 15 years, would you like to continue to do that voluntarily or at some reduced amount") https://www.purdue.edu/backaboiler/FAQ/index.html
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
Carthage is doing fine and it will be interesting if they generate more interest this way, or if students feel less special because they are not getting the 15K scholarship.   I agree that this may not be right for MU, since MU probably has a decent amount paying above what the "real"  tuition amount is for the average student.

Carthage has a beautiful campus on Lake Michigan.  But, they better hope that the lake doesn't keep rising long term, or the shore erosion will be a major issue, especially with some building very close to the high water line.

With how much water Wisconsin is allowing Foxconn to take out beyond the basin I doubt the lake will continue rising.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
A little late to the thread, but I think there some activities underway that will address some of the concerns that folks seem to have. Granted I'm not working with all of the colleges, but I have first hand knowledge of major activities the college of business and engineering are taking to approach two critical issues: demographics and value.

From a demographic standpoint, they are really trying to tackle one of the big issues with the underserved.....they are underserved in primary education which largely leaves them unprepared to succeed in college. So there are a lot of efforts underway to A) identify talent in underserved areas (bluntly put, who's smart and/or motivated enough but just hasn't had the right education) and B) getting that talent up to speed in the foundational knowledge sets so they can be successful in college

From a value standpoint, they are trying to take a pragmatic approach to where students are going after graduation and this really ties back to the "blue collar"concept to a certain degree. The reflection is that by and large students go into the professional world and so the focus needs to be around how do we prepare them for that. So there is a lot of work around how an MU education is providing students with career "value" as well as giving students a significant leg up with potential employers where possible.

One area I would really like MU to look would be in how they approach tuition and give a hard look at breaking the traditional model. Purdue has developed an income share agreement and I think it is a really fantastic idea. It certainly might be a risk and something you'd have to phase in but I would love to see MU move to a model where at least 50% of the students who graduate are incurring little to no debt. Additionally, it can dovetail in nicely from a donation funding model as well ("You've been paying us x% for the last 15 years, would you like to continue to do that voluntarily or at some reduced amount") https://www.purdue.edu/backaboiler/FAQ/index.html

That is really a cool looking program and yeah I think this type of thing is a good option.  My guess is that if you structured it right, you could use Marquette's endowment as a funding source.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2019, 10:56:27 AM »
I still have my Leo B Flynn signed letter of acceptance.

Matt Flynn admitted me into Murph's
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »
you could use Marquette's endowment as a funding source.

great idea, hadn't even thought of it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
Matt Flynn admitted me into Murph's

:D.  How about General Flynn?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »

Earlier this year I was speaking to another parent at an event at our kids' HS.  She worked in higher education.  She told me that one of the Ohio private colleges -- honestly don't recall which -- had made an aggressive reduction in its tuition and saw their applications reduce significantly.  Same school and same education, but the lowered tuition caused a change in how the school was perceived.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »

Does this impact their credit score?

Student loans is a weighty subject, even political.  Not to get into that, but one overlooked benefit is paying back those loans will build up a young person’s credit score.  With this Purdue example, would that be a benefit, too?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
Student loans are often times a detriment to credit because of their size versus your income.  If you want to build up a credit score, get a credit card and pay off the balance monthly. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »

Also, their athletic facilities are incredible, especially for a D3 school. It was bankrolled mostly by a single donor.
Have some patience, FFS.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
Earlier this year I was speaking to another parent at an event at our kids' HS.  She worked in higher education.  She told me that one of the Ohio private colleges -- honestly don't recall which -- had made an aggressive reduction in its tuition and saw their applications reduce significantly.  Same school and same education, but the lowered tuition caused a change in how the school was perceived.

This is very surprising to me.  Folks in my neck of the woods here in suburban NYC care a lot about brand and status and exclusivity and all that but as superficial, as so many folks out here are, I’ve never heard of anyone equating high tuition with quality.  Not that I’m questioning this, I just find it surprising because as I‘ve mentioned before, so many kids out here go to UMich, UWMad, Miami Ohio, and other prestigious state flagships in other parts of the country and pay out of state tuition, which while very expensive, is still demonstrably less than a lot of prestigious liberal arts colleges, and I have heard families say many times the education at say Madison or Michigan is just as good as a place like Colgate or Middlebury and even with out of state tuition and travel costs is often still more than 20K less than those other places so they go for that reason.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
This is very surprising to me.  Folks in my neck of the woods here in suburban NYC care a lot about brand and status and exclusivity and all that but as superficial, as so many folks out here are, I’ve never heard of anyone equating high tuition with quality.  Not that I’m questioning this, I just find it surprising because as I‘ve mentioned before, so many kids out here go to UMich, UWMad, Miami Ohio, and other prestigious state flagships in other parts of the country and pay out of state tuition, which while very expensive, is still demonstrably less than a lot of prestigious liberal arts colleges, and I have heard families say many times the education at say Madison or Michigan is just as good as a place like Colgate or Middlebury and even with out of state tuition and travel costs is often still more than 20K less than those other places so they go for that reason.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. People expect state schools to be less expensive, even if you are paying out-of-state tuition. But are those people willing to pay the same to attend St. Rando's College as they would Middlebury?
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
You aren't comparing apples to apples. People expect state schools to be less expensive, even if you are paying out-of-state tuition. But are those people willing to pay the same to attend St. Rando's College as they would Middlebury?

How is the hoops team at St. Rando's?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »

How is the hoops team at St. Rando's?

Average.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »
I saw this in the New Haven Register. Sound familiar?

Fast-growing Quinnipiac to make cuts after admitting fewer students
By Liz Teitz
Sep. 20, 2019 Updated: Sep. 20, 2019 12:33 p.m.

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/nhregister/article/Fast-growing-Quinnipiac-to-make-cuts-after-14455519.php?sid=5baaacf72ddf9c545d737065&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CT_NHR_Insider

feedback