[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129132 times)

LON

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #600 on: December 06, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
When will you apologize for posting the same false info here?

That would require some self-reflection and at least a modicum of self-awareness.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #601 on: December 06, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
That would require some self-reflection and at least a modicum of self-awareness.

And ethical consistency.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #602 on: December 06, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »
In fairness, hoopaloop is just an interwebs troll. He should not have to be held to the same high standards as a Sports Illustrated journalist.

Of course, as is often the case missed on interwebs chat boards, there is nuance to all of this.

The guy who wrote the initial piece isn't actually an SI employee. In this day and age of extreme cost-cutting and shortcut-taking in the media, SI uses "local" reporters to provide everything from mundane info to "scoops." This time, SI was burned for its cheapness and its editorial strategy.

In turn, the guy who wrote the piece got burned by what he felt were reliable sources. Thankfully, that's pretty rare, but it has happened since the beginning of journalism and it still happens today. I had a source tell me 20 years ago that the Cubs were not going to fire Jim Riggleman; I can't say who the source was, but if I did, there isn't a single Scooper who would have disbelieved the source. Not one. But Riggleman did get fired, which made me "wrong."

I'm not defending any of that, just stating facts. SI keeping the erroneous report on its site for days is a different matter -- impossible to defend, and I won't try.

Mistakes happen in every industry -- even hoopaloop's. I'll go out on a wild limb here and say that, once or twice in his life, even hoopaloop might have made one.

In journalism, most such mistakes have very minor repercussions, or none at all. Every so often, they have major ones, as was the case for, say, Richard Jewell.

hoopaloop stated awhile back that he was salivating to watch the Jewell movie ... and I'm not surprised, because this will be red meat to those who demonize the media. I also am interested in the movie because I was there in Atlanta, and I hope the film portrays everything accurately. In real life, it obviously was not the finest hour for either law enforcement or journalism.

I do hope that after watching Jewell, hoopaloop goes home and watches All the President's Men and Spotlight -- films that show how journalists have played significant roles in rooting out true evil in society. Thankfully, great journalists are still doing that to this day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #603 on: December 06, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
Ooopsie....I'm sorry, so sorry, so so sorry

SI reporter apologizes for f'ing up about Clay Helton 4 days later.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/04/new-sports-illustrated-sports-illustrated-can-dispute-its-own-reporting/

https://youtu.be/r-TkjEdB1kE

I'm quite certain that tweet was sent out in collaboration with Helton and/or his agent so USC had to backtrack and then not fire him.

One more year for Helton then Chris Pedersen comes on down to LA.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #604 on: December 06, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
When will you apologize for posting the same false info here?

I’m not a reporter who is supposed to do his job properly with vetting.  Remember the higher standard BS you held to certain occupations...no different here. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #605 on: December 06, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
In fairness, hoopaloop is just an interwebs troll. He should not have to be held to the same high standards as a Sports Illustrated journalist.

Of course, as is often the case missed on interwebs chat boards, there is nuance to all of this.

The guy who wrote the initial piece isn't actually an SI employee. In this day and age of extreme cost-cutting and shortcut-taking in the media, SI uses "local" reporters to provide everything from mundane info to "scoops." This time, SI was burned for its cheapness and its editorial strategy.

In turn, the guy who wrote the piece got burned by what he felt were reliable sources. Thankfully, that's pretty rare, but it has happened since the beginning of journalism and it still happens today. I had a source tell me 20 years ago that the Cubs were not going to fire Jim Riggleman; I can't say who the source was, but if I did, there isn't a single Scooper who would have disbelieved the source. Not one. But Riggleman did get fired, which made me "wrong."

I'm not defending any of that, just stating facts. SI keeping the erroneous report on its site for days is a different matter -- impossible to defend, and I won't try.

Mistakes happen in every industry -- even hoopaloop's. I'll go out on a wild limb here and say that, once or twice in his life, even hoopaloop might have made one.

In journalism, most such mistakes have very minor repercussions, or none at all. Every so often, they have major ones, as was the case for, say, Richard Jewell.

hoopaloop stated awhile back that he was salivating to watch the Jewell movie ... and I'm not surprised, because this will be red meat to those who demonize the media. I also am interested in the movie because I was there in Atlanta, and I hope the film portrays everything accurately. In real life, it obviously was not the finest hour for either law enforcement or journalism.

I do hope that after watching Jewell, hoopaloop goes home and watches All the President's Men and Spotlight -- films that show how journalists have played significant roles in rooting out true evil in society. Thankfully, great journalists are still doing that to this day.

He wasn’t a SI employee until he was....And you are questioning how much of a journalist he is?  Lol.

That “cheapness” is because of media in this country have driven themselves out of being cared about.  They did it to themselves.

This line is interesting “at the end of the day, I want to be clear that my intentions as a journalist were pure — my ultimate drive is to simply provide for my family.”

He sure seems to think he is a journalist.

He has a degree in Journalism

He has been a journalist at a newspaper for 8 years.

He has been a journalist on the digital front for 5 years.

I’m pretty sure he is a journalist.

And I’ve made plenty of mistakes and will in the future.  But supposedly those entrusted with the public trust to give us correct information have a higher standard.  One can imagine those out there that purposefully get things wrong...a Newsweek reporter fired last week...doesn’t help the media’s already poor reputation.  Too many things wrong, too many slanted opinions or stories spiked to protect other other interests.

I’m happy he apologized.  Good for him. 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:01:54 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #606 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
I'm quite certain that tweet was sent out in collaboration with Helton and/or his agent so USC had to backtrack and then not fire him.

One more year for Helton then Chris Pedersen comes on down to LA.

People who know Peterson have said multiple times he wants no part of Los Angeles (who can blame him)....don’t think that is going to happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #607 on: December 06, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
He wasn’t a SI employee until he was....And you are questioning how much of a journalist he is?  Lol.

That “cheapness” is because of media in this country have driven themselves out of being cared about.  They did it to themselves.

This line is interesting “at the end of the day, I want to be clear that my intentions as a journalist were pure — my ultimate drive is to simply provide for my family.”

He sure seems to think he is a journalist.

He has a degree in Journalism

He has been a journalist at a newspaper for 8 years.

He has been a journalist on the digital front for 5 years.

I’m pretty sure he is a journalist.

And I’ve made plenty of mistakes and will in the future.  But supposedly those entrusted with the public trust to give us correct information have a higher standard.  One can imagine those out there that purposefully get things wrong...a Newsweek reporter fired last week...doesn’t help the media’s already poor reputation.  Too many things wrong, too many slanted opinions or stories spiked to protect other other interests.

I’m happy he apologized.  Good for him.

Let's make a wager, hoopaloop, OK?

If you can show me where in my post I claimed he wasn't a journalist, I will donate $1,000 to your favorite charity. If you can't, you donate $1,000 to the Freedom of the Press Foundation.

Deal?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #608 on: December 06, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
I’m not a reporter who is supposed to do his job properly with vetting.  Remember the higher standard BS you held to certain occupations...no different here.

Even when you're wrong ...#cheeksneverwrong

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #609 on: December 06, 2019, 10:30:04 PM »
Fowler talking about how aggressive in life Wittingham is all the time, they’re down a score with 9 minutes left, 4th and 4 at Oregon 45, and he punts. Oregon TD next Drive.

Absolutely awful decision and hilarious.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:33:40 AM by MUDish »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #610 on: December 07, 2019, 07:17:36 AM »
Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss is a good hire. He can coach. Turned down Arkansas, which has to be embarrassing for them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #611 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »
The New Year's Six match up's that come out at 2pm on Sunday, might hold more drama in who gets those spots, than who will make the CFP. Final spot will be UGA, OU or Baylor.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #612 on: December 07, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
The New Year's Six match up's that come out at 2pm on Sunday, might hold more drama in who gets those spots, than who will make the CFP. Final spot will be UGA, OU or Baylor.

I wonder how many high draft picks will sit out these exhibition games.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #613 on: December 07, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
I wonder how many high draft picks will sit out these exhibition games.
I hate when some call it that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:24:25 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #614 on: December 07, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »

If you can show me where in my post I claimed he wasn't a journalist, I will donate $1,000 to your favorite charity. If you can't, you donate $1,000 to the Freedom of the Press Foundation.

Deal?

You said he wasn’t an employee of Sports Illustrated.  Now, what you, Lenny and others normally do if i had  made that mistake is call me a liar....I won’t call you a liar in this case, but I will definitely call you out on this.  You know, or should know, how journalism contract work is done now and how that work is represented under the header of the publisher.  Who has the responsibility, etc.

After your wrongfulness, I decided to also show he was a full blown journalist despite your drivel this guy as merely some local yokel.  No, you didn’t say he wasn’t a journalist, instead you tried to downplay his role as one, diminish his capabilities and that SI got what they got because of their cheapness of hiring a less than qualified real deal journalist...but please deny this if you wish.

Richard Jewel movie...nothing to do with red meat...it is a true story of the media and the govt Fuked up royally a man’s life.  Yup mistakes happen.  It’s funny when certain parts of society do it, we hold them to really high standards...I could pull out many quotes here from you, Pakuni, etc, that said exactly that....but should not the media be he,d to that same standard when they have the power to screw people?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:17:00 PM by Cheeks »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #615 on: December 07, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
OK Cheeks. It’s nap time now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #616 on: December 07, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »

Deal?

Where did I say you said he wasn’t a journalist?  I asked if you are questioning how much of a journalist he was since you went out of your way to diminish him constantly, then proved to you every bit of why he is a bona fife journalist in case anyone didn’t think so based on your attempts to dilute how much of a journalist he is. 

So, what exactly is the deal?  I didn’t do what you claimed.  You incorrectly said he wasn’t an employee.  Etc.  LOL

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #617 on: December 07, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »
Richard Jewell and Clay Helton don't feel like comparable situations, but maybe that's just me.
Also, has nothing to do with college football.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #618 on: December 07, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »
Richard Jewell and Clay Helton don't feel like comparable situations

Lol. Of course they aren’t.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #619 on: December 07, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
I hate when some call it that.

The “players are on a plantation” brigade cannot help themselves.  Using their definition, EVERY GAME IS AN EXHIBITION, so their inconsistency and hypocrisy on this is not surprising.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #620 on: December 07, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
Richard Jewell and Clay Helton don't feel like comparable situations, but maybe that's just me.
Also, has nothing to do with college football.

Not the same, but in both cases idiocy, sloppiness, bias, rush to judgment can alter their lives.  Recruits don’t come, players don’t respect lame duck coach, etc...life altering.  Richard Jewel...life altering. 

The sloppiness and outright crap that comes out nowadays in the rush to publish, forget sources, anonymous sources, etc, can alter people’s lives.  They need to be held responsible.  Mistakes are one thing, outright negligence and malpractice are another.  Glad the Newsweak reporter was held accountable over Thanksgiving.  This happens way too much.  Some great websites out there documenting just how grotesquely bad it has become.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »
You said he wasn’t an employee of Sports Illustrated.  Now, what you, Lenny and others normally do if i had  made that mistake is call me a liar....I won’t call you a liar in this case, but I will definitely call you out on this. 

1.I don't know why you constantly bring me into discussions I'm not part of...wait... yes I do. I inhabit a rather large room in a rather small house...er, brain.
2.You have a long history on Scoop of calling people a liar based on a mistake or even a difference of opinion. If it occasionally comes back to bite you, don't whine.
3.Don't want to be known as a liar on Scoop? Cut back on the lies.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2019, 06:04:10 PM »
Not the same, but in both cases idiocy, sloppiness, bias, rush to judgment can alter their lives.  Recruits don’t come, players don’t respect lame duck coach, etc...life altering.  Richard Jewel...life altering. 

The sloppiness and outright crap that comes out nowadays in the rush to publish, forget sources, anonymous sources, etc, can alter people’s lives.  They need to be held responsible.  Mistakes are one thing, outright negligence and malpractice are another.  Glad the Newsweak reporter was held accountable over Thanksgiving.  This happens way too much.  Some great websites out there documenting just how grotesquely bad it has become.

You really have no sense of history or perspective.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
Good luck Ohio State...pulling for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #624 on: December 07, 2019, 07:20:08 PM »
You said he wasn’t an employee of Sports Illustrated.  Now, what you, Lenny and others normally do if i had  made that mistake is call me a liar....I won’t call you a liar in this case, but I will definitely call you out on this.  You know, or should know, how journalism contract work is done now and how that work is represented under the header of the publisher.  Who has the responsibility, etc.

After your wrongfulness, I decided to also show he was a full blown journalist despite your drivel this guy as merely some local yokel.  No, you didn’t say he wasn’t a journalist, instead you tried to downplay his role as one, diminish his capabilities and that SI got what they got because of their cheapness of hiring a less than qualified real deal journalist...but please deny this if you wish.

Richard Jewel movie...nothing to do with red meat...it is a true story of the media and the govt Fuked up royally a man’s life.  Yup mistakes happen.  It’s funny when certain parts of society do it, we hold them to really high standards...I could pull out many quotes here from you, Pakuni, etc, that said exactly that....but should not the media be he,d to that same standard when they have the power to screw people?

I specifically called him a reporter - a journalist. I didn't call him a yokel. That apparently is your word to describe "a local reporter," which was the exact term I used. And yet you lied -- suggesting repeatedly that I called him something else. But now, instead of taking my bet or at least admitting you were wrong, you double-down. Because that's you. You love to claim you admit your mistakes ... but you rarely do, even when they are obvious. So take my bet, hoopy!

I know exactly how contract journalism work is done, as I am a contract journalist. I write for two financial websites and also still do a little sportswriting. I absolutely am NOT an employee of any of those sites, just as "USC Maven" Adam Maya is NOT an employee of SI. I simply stated a fact. I didn't try to use that fact to excuse what happened at all; indeed, I did the opposite and said, "I'm not defending" the poor decisions that happened in the SI case.

As for Jewell (not Jewel -- at least spell the poor guy's name right), here is an article about the numerous inaccurate portrayals of the Atlanta newspaper's employees and reporting in the movie:

https://www.thewrap.com/atlanta-journal-constitution-editor-questions-accuracy-of-clint-eastwoods-richard-jewell-ahead-of-premiere/

Did you know that the AJC was first to report, accurately, that authorities were focusing on Jewell days after the bombing? Did you know that the paper was among the media outlets sued after Jewell was exonerated, and the only one that didn’t settle? Litigation naming the AJC was dismissed in 2011, when the Georgia Court of Appeals concluded “the articles in their entirety were substantially true at the time they were published.”

Obviously, several other media outlets -- especially TV outlets -- had many irresponsible reports. As I said, the media and law enforcement didn't cover themselves in glory here. Not sure why you give law enforcement a free pass in your earlier rant.

I do hold journalists to high standards and am critical, embarrassed or both when they fail to meet those standards.

You are an interwebs troll who has made lying, exaggerating and misrepresenting your calling card, so I don't hold you to the same high standards -- or any standards at all, really. But I will call you out when one of your lies is directly about me or something I care about.

I know you won't take the bet, hoopy, because I'm telling the truth and you're not. You'd lose ... and the last thing you would want to do is contribute to a charity ensuring freedom of the press. It must be sad to be so filled with hate, as is the case with you and the free press.

Now if you want to lie further about this, or discuss this with me at all, feel free to PM me. We've bored our fellow Scoopers enough.