collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Permission to Protest?  (Read 14610 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Permission to Protest?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
This policy may in fact help promote free speech.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
This policy may in fact help promote free speech.

Why do you say that?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 12:25:26 PM »
Why do you say that?

When appropriately used, it can be used to stop jaga$$es who seek to protest for the purpose of shutting down the free speech of others.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
My daughter recently started at Purdue.  Reading up on things, I've been pretty impressed with their commitment to protecting free speech and public discourse (and yes, I'm aware that it's public and has some different rules that apply).  It was hilarious on Facebook last week when some parents realized that their children were being exposed to a very harsh and vocal preacher on campus.  People were literally disappointed that the campus police weren't hauling the preacher away.  Several expressed extreme concern for their kids' safety (because they equated him calling girls whores and saying their skimpy clothes meant they wanted to be raped with an actual threat of rape).  The thread was disturbing.

I kept quiet, but I couldn't help thinking that the kids' classmates almost certainly posed far more danger to them than some preacher.

The guy reminded me of the "God-mobile" from back in the day.

Not quite sure what the preacher was doing and where....  but if he is publicly - on campus - calling girls whores, he should be arrested.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
Not quite sure what the preacher was doing and where....  but if he is publicly - on campus - calling girls whores, he should be arrested.

On what ground?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »
On what ground?

Depending on state law, it's quite possibly a crime.
In Wisconsin, for example, a person is guilty of disorderly conduct if he/she "in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance."

I would guess many young women would be disturbed or provoked by being called a whore by a strange man in public, and would consider that abusive, indecent and profane.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:53:11 PM by Pakuni »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

classic shutting down free speech-if ya don't know what he was doing or saying, best ya find out before ya advocate for his arrest

don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »
i do not understand how or why "demonstrations" are allowed by people concealing their identity.  i can't walk in to a bank or many other businesses like that.  can't walk thru airport security, etc etc

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »
Perfectly fine, what does a private institution "limiting" protests on private property do to impinge on the students right to protest their government. The first amendment prevents the government from limiting speech in anyway.....that has nothing to do with a private entity "limiting" speech on private land.

If Marquette were to discipline a student for going to Madison to protest in the capital.....that's an infringement of that students first amendment right(though it's somewhat tenuous because that depends on MU getting funding from the government)

If Marquette were to discipline a student for violating it's policy on protest on MU property that has no infringement concerns.

I'm all for open dialog on campus and providing as much opportunity for voices to be heard, but we can't do so by hiding behind the first amendment.....it has no bearing on this concern.

Oh I agree,  I was just answering your question about the link between free speech and private institutions
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »

No he shouldn't. Other people should call him out,  shout him down,  or try to have an educational conversation with him,  but not arrest him. You cant arrest someone just because you don't like their speech. The best way to fight hateful speech is with more speech
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
i do not understand how or why "demonstrations" are allowed by people concealing their identity.  i can't walk in to a bank or many other businesses like that.  can't walk thru airport security, etc etc

But you can walk in a public space like that.... which is where people have a right to protest.

You should take your own advice on this

classic shutting down free speech-if ya don't know what he was doing or saying, best ya find out before ya advocate for his arrest

TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
But you can walk in a public space like that.... which is where people have a right to protest.

i didn't say arrest him or shut it down tamu-i said i do not understand it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
Interesting thread. I appreciate the different viewpoints.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
In Wisconsin, for example, a person is guilty of disorderly conduct if he/she "in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance."

I would guess many young women would be disturbed or provoked by being called a whore by a strange man in public, and would consider that abusive, indecent and profane.

I don't know anywhere where a preacher calling women whores from his soapbox would rise to the level required for arrest
TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2019, 01:04:42 PM »

but i do know what they are saying and protesting.  if i wanted to address them with free speech on my part, i better have a body guard or three though  i've seen what happens to people who disagree with them

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
i didn't say arrest him or shut it down tamu-i said i do not understand it

You said "you don't understand how it is allowed". Unless you literally don't understand the logistics of how someone gets permission to protest while concealing their identity (the answer is to be alive in America), it sounds like you are suggesting that protesting while concealing your identity shouldn't be allowed (in other words, shutting down a form of free speech)
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
In Wisconsin, for mexample, a person is guilty of disorderly conduct if "in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance."

I would guess many young women would find being called a whore by a strange man in public as abusive, indecent and profane.

is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

And, depending on the application and enforcement, it's quite possibly unconstitutional.  I strongly suspect that the police could not arrest a street preacher under that statute for "speech only" issues.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
but i do know what they are saying and protesting.  if i wanted to address them with free speech on my part, i better have a body guard or three though  i've seen what happens to people who disagree with them

Im confused, who do you know is saying and protesting what?  Who's them in this situation?
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »
And, depending on the application and enforcement, it's quite possibly unconstitutional.  I strongly suspect that the police could not arrest a street preacher under that statute for "speech only" issues.

Are you suggesting that a person can't be arrested for speech considered "disturbing or provoking?"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
Are you suggesting that a person can't be arrested for speech considered "disturbing or provoking?"

No.

Edited to add:  I'm suggesting a street preacher almost certainly can't be arrested for doing their typical schtick which, sadly and disgustingly, often involves calling women whores.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:28:49 PM by StillAWarrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »

Can't? No. But the threshold is very very high. Calling someone or even multiple someones a whore. Not going to cut it anywhere I know.
TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
You said "you don't understand how it is allowed". Unless you literally don't understand the logistics of how someone gets permission to protest while concealing their identity (the answer is to be alive in America), it sounds like you are suggesting that protesting while concealing your identity shouldn't be allowed (in other words, shutting down a form of free speech)

ya see tamu, this is where you get yourself into trouble-"it SOUNDS like"

i truly do not understand it or get it, but once again, i did not say shut them down.  i may not like it, but i didn't say shut them down, i may think it's wrong to conceal ones identity during a protest, but i did not say shut it down

you are confused?  i think you know very well who/what i'm referring to.  i want this thread to make it beyond 4 pm eastern standard

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
I believe the majority of people that were killed at Jackson State and Kent State weren't even onlookers/gawkers, they were literally just walking by to get to class/work/home.

And you would be wrong.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Can't? No. But the threshold is very very high. Calling someone or even multiple someones a whore. Not going to cut it anywhere I know.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jun/17/street-preachers-arrested-tennessee-accused-calling-people-sinners/310071/

https://marioncountymessenger.com/2016/09/jury-finds-jasper-man-guilty-of-inciting-a-riot-at-lee-highway-memorial/

To be clear, I'm not suggesting an arrest should or shouldn't happen. But it was asked "on what grounds" could a person be arrested in that circumstance. This is the answer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
Why are we focusing on the calling people whores? It was stated that he actually threatened rape and my understanding is that is more than enough to warrant an arrest.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback